ChTZ S-65 Artillery Tractor, painting complete

Whilst getting a bit bogged down with my Varyag ship build I thought I'd have a break and build something a little different and do a sort of build review at the same time. So this kit will be built with the aid of the ET Models etch set, reviewed HERE

Staturory box top pic.

IMG_6936.JPG

The individual tracks are made up of 34 links per side and three parts per link. They actually went together better than I had expected.

IMG_6933.JPG

Start on the suspension parts and wheels.

IMG_6932.JPG

The chassis of the tractor along with the radiator front which has been cut out and will be replaced with the etched parts shown in the photo.

IMG_6938.JPG

It'll be towing the ML-20 152mm Howitzer which will be another build review in conjuction with this one.

I've often looked at this kit, but always put it back on the shelf. I know I will have it one day, it's just so "Different".

I seem to remember reading somewhere it need an engine or something due to an open gap when assembled?? Please have a look when you've got a minute Dave.

Keep the piccies coming please...

Nige

Will do Nige. I can already see it being a problem with the lack of engine. Maybe more so with the open grilles of the etch set.

Some more done today. Finished the track drives and started on the hull.

IMG_6939.JPG

IMG_6940.JPG

IMG_6941.JPG

IMG_6942.JPG

IMG_6943.JPG

IMG_6950.JPG

Then it's on with the etch supports for the fuel tank.

IMG_6947.JPG

• Like 1

Yeah I know the paint ain't up to scratch yet. It was still wet when I took the photo and it was the first coat. Plus I had Panzer Vor!!! rabbiting on. The drivers platform isn't glued on yet, and when her goes home I'll be spraying it properly. :P :P

Have now got the basic structure complete. I didn't use the etch louvres as they were really too thin and didn't look any better than the styrene items.

Nigel, unless you turn the model upside down and peer through the louvres with a strong light behind it you can't see that there isn't an engine inside.

IMG_6951.JPG

IMG_6952.JPG

IMG_6953.JPG

Thanks for the heads up on the lack of engine Dave. Did you spray the inside of the bonnet black?

I think I'll pick this one up at my next show..Gloucester. Looks like a nice little build that comes together with little fuss? Would you say the additional PE is really necessary?

Nige

Yes the interior was painted black.

The build is quite straight forward, even the indy link tracks. The ET Models etch set is very nice and does add somethings that are better in etch, but items like the louvre panels aren't really needed. That said the kit parts are very nicely done and unless you really need some of the finer details like the grab handles and struts, then it could easily be built OOB.

Something the kit doesn't come with, although Trumpeter are releasing a separate version with this feature, and that is the drivers shelter. The square uprights are a challenge to fold and get all the other parts fitted, but it has come out quite well. The photos show it just placed in position. The rest of the etch handles have also been fitted.

IMG_6954.JPG

IMG_6956.JPG

IMG_6958.JPG

• Like 1

You're not wrong there Dan. Each letter is individually cut out and placed whilst trying to keep the spelling correct.

Haha.

Well missed this little buet.

'Crumbs', Dave you get on at me prolific building and your at it too :mental:

Well is a nice kit and you are doing it proud :thumbsup: .

I think you have changed your mind on the prime mover for your 152mm build :winkgrin:

What ever its great to be able to change your mind with so much comeing out on the Russian WW II front.

Cheers foxy

This looks like a fascinating little beastie! The OOB details look pretty good in the photos but the etched parts certainly take it to the next level, I'm looking forward to seeing this one under glass.

Thanks. Still not sure how to display the completed models. Will have to see what figures and bases I have in the stash.

Looks good Dave - the etch set looks the bee's whiskers. Have you got a pic of the PE louvers, just so I can see 'em? :)

Have the tractor primed, although the flash seems to have picked out areas I've missed. Will sort those out before painting the Russian Tank Green.

Primed.jpg

primed2.jpg

As with the ML-20 Howitzer the painting is complete and I've give it a little light weathering. More will be done when it's on the dio base.

s65painted1.jpg

s65painted2.jpg