1966 Chaparral 2D - Fujimi 1/24

Going to try for another completed model in this GB.

Fujimi Chaparral 2D. I have started fiddling with this one a few months ago but only glued the gearbox together so it should not break the rules.

006-4_zps1fd3893a.jpg

Steve.

Build of the Chaparral is moving along. I have been looking at some areas for improvement, there is a small moulded distributor at the back of the engine so I cut it off and replaced it with a pre-wired aluminium dizzy from Scale Dreams.

016_zps05944e92.jpg

The headlamps are white metal buckets with clear lenses and I thought they looked a bit crude. I tried scribing the detail on the lenses but gave up and will use some lenses with chrome backing rings from the after market.

012-9_zps89be692e.jpg

The air box has moulded in intake trumpets and is produced in clear plastic. I had some aluminium trumpets so drilled out the kit part and will replace the front and rear part of the box with clear sheet. This will then need setting to the correct height (with blu-tak) and the trumpets glued in place.

013-4_zps1d8fdc0e.jpg

015-2_zps0344ac38.jpg

Body has some moulded on body clips (Dzus fasteners) I marked the positions by drilling a small hole. Then sanded them off as they will be replaced with P/E fasteners.

014-3_zps1935d7b1.jpg

Wheels and tyres are almost done. Just need some air valvas making out of wire and the tyre decals applying, the tyres will then have a darkened acrylic matt varnish added to tone down the tyre lettering.

017-1_zps899c7a2c.jpg

Steve.

To be honest, the best thing about this model kit is probably the box art!

Now got paint and decals on and clear coated. Done a test fit to make sure it will all come together. I am astounded at the excellent fit of the window parts. Now have the tricky job of painting the frames on them.

001-11_zps98b9e274.jpg

There is a set of seat belts fitted and I am pleased with my modification of the intake trumpets. The chassis is very simplified with virtually no suspension detail to speak of. I'll paint the inside of the body matt black to make it dark as possible and try to concentrate on getting the outside as neat as I can.

After I took these pics, the exhaust got painted matt black, when dry it will get a flick of white pastel powder to give it the 'burnt paint' look.

004-12_zpsfadf0803.jpg

Still quite a lot to do but the back of it is broken so maybe I will get to finish two for the GB.

Steve.

Calling this one done, although I will have to do a minor touch up on the nose vents, just to make them a little bit sharper.

Pretty much OOB apart from P/E wiper from a generic set, seat belts and the intake trumpets (which are difficult to see!)

I am pleased with the finished result and I have a 2C and a 2E which will complete a very nice trio..... One day lol. 001-11_zpscfe920c9.jpg

Pics in the gallery......

All the best,

Steve.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys.

Jorgen, it is a simple kit but makes an effective shelf model with careful building. I really need to build some more full detail models as most of my recent stuff has been 'curb-sides'.

Regards,

Steve.