Airfix Lancaster BII

chaddy

Can I ask what's that inside the cowlings quartering them?

Graham, don't know but they are obviously designed to be there as they have detailing on them. I can't find any good contrast photos of the front end of a Lanc BII anywhere to check though.

And...is there any kind of bomb load supplied with the BII kit?

No Gary, no weapons, but they have supplied the weapon braces. The instructions state that suitable weapons are available in the Bomber Support Set - sneaky Airfix, very sneaky!

dogsbody. You are correct the kit comes with the standard three plus an option to fit the ventral remote controlled turret.

• Like 1

I don't have the kit to study directly. I was thinking they were the cowling rings, but looking again perhaps not. If they are to go inside the cowlings then they are intended to be cowling stays, but they look a bit heavy-handed which is perhaps why such things are not so visible on the real thing. Surely the instructions will make this clear?

PS If anyone needs extra bombs above those provided, I'll swap mine for the Bedford bits. (No takers, I suspect.)

Edited by Graham Boak

Can I ask what's that inside the cowlings quartering them???? Can't say I have noticed them on the real thing.

Graham

Hi

well airfix seem to have used them whatever they are

Jerry

found this on the web london toy fair photos

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-r8ZLpIqpUdM/UQENzDTGmRI/AAAAAAAAN3g/8EwcMfe7v6U/s400/LondonToyFair2013_Airfix%255B04%255D+aa.jpg

just found my copy of lancaster II profile,

on page 10 there is a 408 squadron lanc with one engine uncovered and one of the "quarter rods or pipes" can be seen,

also on page eleven a photo shows one of them on a 426 sqn lanc,

and visible in a photo on page 23

but not visible here

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7e/RCAF_Lancaster_Mk_II_RAF_Linton-on-Ouse_WWII_HU_56276.jpg

there were two types of herc's fitted, could it be engine type specific ?

Jerry

Edited by brewerjerry

Can I ask what's that inside the cowlings quartering them???? Can't say I have noticed them on the real thing.

Graham

I believe they are supposed to be there. I seem to remember a similar set up on the Beaufighter.

They are just a little overscale and could be replaced (if so desired) with something thinner, like brass rod.

It sure would be nice to get a good look at all the sprues, instead of just little bits here and there.

Anyone found any complete sprue photos yet?

Chris

ps. It probably won't matter much. Mine is already on it's way here from Hannant's, though it may take a while to wing it's way over The Pond then, across most of Canada before it gets here.

Is there any kind of bomb load supplied with the BII kit?

Having now received the kit I can answer my own question and the answer is "No".

I've got mixed feelings about this. I'm a little put out that the instructions tell me that if I want to a bomb load then I can buy the Support Set (which I have). But what about those people who wish to add the bombs but don't want, or have, a need for the vehicles? It's a pretty expensive do!

I'll be doing a BI/III from the Dambuster kit as well, if I didn't already have some stuff in the loft to use then I'd be looking at either no bombs or having to buy another Support Set. Going down that route I'd have a set of vehicles, etc that would, probably, be no use to me.

If Airfix are going to continue down this route Then I think they need to consider selling "weapons sets" i.e. just the bombs, etc. I envisage these might cost considerably less than the Support Set. I mean, when we get a new Wellington, Halifax and Stirling we are going to need an awful lot of bombs!

• Like 3

Superb ! Plastic parts looks very good ! Hercules engines, two guns turret and upper remote controled gun post. A bit different in line of Merlin powered Lancasters from other producers.... When we have a Hercules powered" Lanc"now - i hope for Manchester in next years !!!

Upper remote controlled gun post- whats that then?

Selwyn

Having now received the kit I can answer my own question and the answer is "No".

I've got mixed feelings about this. I'm a little put out that the instructions tell me that if I want to a bomb load then I can buy the Support Set (which I have). But what about those people who wish to add the bombs but don't want, or have, a need for the vehicles? It's a pretty expensive do!

I'll be doing a BI/III from the Dambuster kit as well, if I didn't already have some stuff in the loft to use then I'd be looking at either no bombs or having to buy another Support Set. Going down that route I'd have a set of vehicles, etc that would, probably, be no use to me.

If Airfix are going to continue down this route Then I think they need to consider selling "weapons sets" i.e. just the bombs, etc. I envisage these might cost considerably less than the Support Set. I mean, when we get a new Wellington, Halifax and Stirling we are going to need an awful lot of bombs!

You could pass off any unwanted Bedford trucks to me. It's all I need from the set, and I need 16 of them for my motor company.

You could pass off any unwanted Bedford trucks to me. It's all I need from the set, and I need 16 of them for my motor company.

Here's a plan; you can pass the unwanted bombs on to me!

Hoy! I asked first, Post 54... but I don't need 16! Just as well, as I'm not buying that many Support Sets for trading.

Whichever, it is fairly normal for bomber kits not to include bombs. Though a few of the older Airfix ones did, others didn't. Then there are examples such as the Revell Halifax, which did include bombs but incorrectly - mounted in pairs not triples. Most people are happy enough to have the bombdoors closed.

Whichever, it is fairly normal for bomber kits not to include bombs. Though a few of the older Airfix ones did, others didn't. Then there are examples such as the Revell Halifax, which did include bombs but incorrectly - mounted in pairs not triples. Most people are happy enough to have the bombdoors closed.

Guess I'm in the minority then! Luckily I do have enough SBCs to model the Usual bomb load for the BI/III, so I've got that covered.

Edit: BTW for anyone wanting lots of Bedfords there's only one Bedford in the kit. You can model either the MWC or the MWD but not both.

Edited by chaddy

I stil have the scar on my palm where the Stanley knife slipped when I was opening the bomb bay doors on the original Airfix Lanc. The worst part is that it wasn't even MY Lanc...

I think it a shame (for Airfix) that the Bedford hasn't been moulded on its own distinct sprue so that it could have been sold separately. I think it would sell well, despite being the "wrong" scale.

I stil have the scar on my palm where the Stanley knife slipped when I was opening the bomb bay doors on the original Airfix Lanc. The worst part is that it wasn't even MY Lanc...

I think it a shame (for Airfix) that the Bedford hasn't been moulded on its own distinct sprue so that it could have been sold separately. I think it would sell well, despite being the "wrong" scale.

I couldn't agree more there Graham. It's a lost opportunity for them.

I'm wondering what the future holds. Now they've bitten the bullet and produced these 1/72 RAF vehicles, etc, what about the other airfield stuff that already exists in 1/76? I'm thinking of the fuel bowsers, ambulance, crash wagon etc. Any chance of seeing them in 1/72? Somehow I doubt it.

Given the relatively small sizes of many of the vehicles concerned, you'll be hard-pressed to notice the scale difference IMO. That's even assuming that the 1/76 kits are "perfectly" scaled and not slightly over-sized. I reckon the 1/72 Tilly could sit next to a 1/76 anything and seem perfectly OK to anyone not armed with a set of calipres.

The difference in scale doesn't really become noticeable until you compare the larger, bulkier vehicles. You would see the difference if you had a 1/76 and 1/72 Bedford parked next to each other. However if you're constructing a diorama, the "secret" is not to park vehicles like that next to each other ... a 1/76 Bedford parked next to a 1/72 Lancaster (or any aircraft, really) is going to seem perfectly fine.

I seem to remember having been told many years ago, that a 5% differece in scale is acceptable to the eye. In other words; anything from 1/68 to 1/76 will look OK with 1/72.

Hoy! I asked first, Post 54... but I don't need 16! Just as well, as I'm not buying that many Support Sets for trading.

They don't all have to be British bombs anyway. It was fairly common to mix British and US 500lb and 1000lb MC bombs along with the earlier British GP types in a lanc bombload. The famous film of the Lancasters being prepped for a mission at RAF Hemswell(?) show a mixed load of US and UK bombs being loaded, easily spotted by the different tail units (Cruciform for US and Drum type for UK) and different paint schemes/ marking systems for the stores. would look good on a diorama I think. (giving myself ideas at this point!)

Selwyn

That's an interesting comment about the US bombs. They were built with both US standard and UK standard lugs so that they could be used by either air force, but I understood that would still mean UK-standard tails. The Airfix bombs include both sets of lugs, but only UK tails.

The human eye will distinguish a lot closer than 5%, but it should be pointed out that 1/72 is 5.5% bigger than 1/76. That's just in one dimension - in bulk the 1/72 kit is nearly 18% larger. I've done quite a lot of modelling over the years in 1/76, and had to accept a number of 1/72 kits because of the lack of softskins and artillery in 1/76 injection kits. There's no doubt that the 1/72 loom over the 1/76. That doesn't mean that you can't get away with mixing the scales, particularly 1/76 vehicles next to 1/72 aircraft as in this case, but it isn't a non-event.

That's an interesting comment about the US bombs. They were built with both US standard and UK standard lugs so that they could be used by either air force, but I understood that would still mean UK-standard tails. The Airfix bombs include both sets of lugs, but only UK tails.

Graham,

The airfix bombs are British bombs. Both US and British bombs were universal, you could use British bombs on US aircraft with British tails.

Selwyn