very-high-right-rear-hero-XL.jpg

left-profile-hero-XL.jpg

people-shped-2-hero-XL.jpg

all-open-front-left-hero-XL.jpg

all-open-right-rear-hero-X2.jpg

all-open-rear-left-hero-XL.jpg

engine-bay-hero-XL.jpg

statement-of-works-XL.jpg

This is the ancient Aurora kit, re-issued by Monogram in the 90s. It's actually pretty good plastic, with plenty of detail to work with. The opening doors, bonnet and boot bring their own issues, but the end result is rather nice compared to today's buttoned-up kerbside kits with aerodynamic under trays.

As you can see, there's a fair bit of work to fine-tune the kit into a more accurate representation of the original classic, which is a truly beautiful, and very purposeful looking GT car. The windscreen is still not right -- it should be more upright, and the base is much more semi-circular, not the large rectangular cut-out Aurora gave us. Personally, I think all the shape issues in this area come from placing the firewall to make room for the operating door hinges, which mean that it's too far forward. The engine is nice, and a bit of time with wiring pays big dividends.

Many thanks to Skip Jordan who has been nudging me to give this a try for a couple of years, provided invaluable reference resources, and acted as chief cheerleader along the way.

I'm now going to go away and build something from a state of the art kit, out of the box, before I even THINK about tackling the Singer 911 kit-bash...

bestest,

M.
  • Like 5

Well that's turned out beautifully - really superb finish. I followed the WIP with great interest and the hat is well and truly off after watching the many modifications and improvements unfold.

Cheers,

Roger

Fantastic model, well worth all the work and those wire wheels look great, you can keep your modern alloys!

Cheers,

Warren

Thanks for all the positive comments, everyone. It was worth the extra effort to do justice to the lines of this lovely (and if Leno is to be believed, undervalued) classic car. This is no contest winner, but I might put it on a few tables just so other people can see what you can do with some of these "classic kits" as a starting point.

I've picked up a Mondo 1/24 diecast of the 2009 Maserati Gran Turismo very cheaply, which is in the paint stripper as we speak. I shall finish that in the same colours as this one, as a companion.

And I think it'll probably be a 240Z OOB next -- the body has been painted for a while, and it's a nice, straightforward Hasegawa build...

Thanks again for your support!

bestest,

M.

• 6 months later...

I have heard it said that this kit, along with the Aston in the same series, is unbuildable. You have certainly blown that myth.

Wonderful job, simply gorgeous car.

did have this kit in my stash for a few years but when I pulled it for a build, discovered the 'glass' was missing. Dissapointed and realising I was never likely to come across the clear parts ever, I put it on ebay. Such a pity but typical of my luck.

Steve.