BoB Dornier recovery

HL-10

As far as I'm aware,the example discussed and, a Dornier 215 which was discovered intact near the Dutch coast are the only known survivors of the entire series of Dornier bombers.

Allan

Although I knew about this wreck, I wasn't aware there were imminent plans to raise it. Thanks for the heads up.

Yes, it's not every day that Chris Goss and Ian Thirsk get interviewed on the Today Programme. A challenging task but she'll be in the best of hands. (Hadn't realised that Ian Thirsk is Head of Conservation at Cosford.)

• 2 weeks later...

My brother in law was on the recovery vessel last week as he is a BBC cameraman/engineer (they double up these days) and is due to go back when it is being raised and so hope to get some info. He was saying it is hard work for the divers, not only with the tide conditions that the news reports have mentioned, but also the weather that can really make the recovery vessel rock. What I find interesting is the Dornier was apparently shot down by a Defiant, which was in turn shot down shortly afterwards,

As has been said, sea water does nasty things to aluminium. I think we have to manage our expectations here because, although the sonar images and photos suggest a significantly complete airframe, it might end up as a pile of bits when it is lifted. I hope not but it may not be anywhere near as good as the RAF Museum Halifax. (Playing Devils Advocate here!)

Simon

I've worked on various recovery jobs offshore and getting the rigging right can be the most significant issue after actually locating the wreck, remember the Wellington in Loch Ness? It was in good condition before the purpose designed lifting frame broke it in two.

The side scan images looked pretty good to me so I am really hopeful they can get a significant proportion of it back. It may be that the wreck had been buried in the sand for many years which would have offered some protection, once exposed to the seawater though things will deteriorate quickly.

Duncan B

• 3 weeks later...

The RAF Museum are Tweeting that it's due to be lifted tonight at about 9pm (beacuse of the tides?). They are saying that it'll be broadcast live on the BBC news channel. Well worth watching I'd say!

Andy.

Still, at least we know there's something there, unlike the Burmese Spitfires. I obviously hope they retrieve it in one piece - here's to some good luck!

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang