AVRO ANSON C-19 VH-RCC

Aeroclub 1/72, my first Aeroclub kit..very enjoyable good old honest modelling. This one weighs a ton its got so much white metal in it.
I got the kit as a consideration for one of my commission builds and not being an Anson fan, I was going to offload it until I looked in the box.."say" I thought "not bad" ...next thought "were there any Australian C-19s?" a little research later BINGO VH-RCC.
My friend wrote to me about the aeroplane:

"Poor old thing was flown out from England in 1962 just after DCA grounded all the Ansons Mk.1s in Australia. A bloke named ****** married into the Nicholas family in Melbourne who owned the Asprin factory. He talked them into putting up the money to start Nicholas Air Charter with a Cessna. Then he had a rush of blood to the head and bought the Avro 19 and ferried it to Melbourne in a blaze of publicity about its metal wings and tail beating the DCA ban.

However whatever charter contract that he was going to use the Avro for fell though, and it sat around at Moorabbin. ***** talked his in-laws into buying into SA Air Taxis, Adelaide and RCC plodded across to West Beach. As a kid I lived on the boundary of the airport and I know it almost never flew. A few newspaper delivery runs on weekends. Its paintwork faded and peeled and it looked awful. A year or so later it ended up on the fire dump at Parafield. A real shame.

8700048359_9effc48e16_b.jpg
8700048295_65ed11dec4_b.jpg
8701171558_45585f8121_b.jpg

• Like 11

thanks and cheers all, I have a few more to finish before I set off to the UK for a holiday in July.. walking the coast to coast walk, and renting a narrowboat through the Yorkshire canals .. kinda looking forward to that!

• Like 2

thanks and cheers all, I have a few more to finish before I set off to the UK for a holiday in July.. walking the coast to coast walk, and renting a narrowboat through the Yorkshire canals .. kinda looking forward to that!

When in Yorkshire try a pint of John Smiths extra smooth class in a glass!!

• 5 years later...
On 5/3/2013 at 9:17 AM, AnonymousDYB said:

When in Yorkshire try a pint of John Smiths extra smooth class in a glass!!

Theakston's Old Peculiar, much nicer!!

• Like 1

A beautiful looking Anson.  Terrific paint scheme.  What a sad tale though.  Did you produce the decals yourself?  They look excellent.   I've been after a C.19 for years now.  I wish Special Hobby or AZ or such like would produce one.  

4 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

A beautiful looking Anson.  Terrific paint scheme.  What a sad tale though.  Did you produce the decals yourself?  They look excellent.   I've been after a C.19 for years now.  I wish Special Hobby or AZ or such like would produce one.  

hi there, its been a long time since I built that!  yes home made decals for the lettering anyway..stripes were painted on To get the yellow on the decals to show up on the blue background I had to print on white decal paper, printing yellow lettering / design with blue background.. Ii was very difficult getting the printed blue to be close to the painted blue... one of the challenges of light over dark decal designing

• Like 2