A Panther and a Tiger Question...

Johan

Hi there,

I have two questions where I am looking for advice and guidance:

Q1. The Panther in this picture has extended front mudguards.

Would anyone know where I could get hold of them or suggest how to scratch them?

Panther_Ausf_A_Kowel.jpg

Q2, The Tiger in this picture is S33, according to the text the picture is taken in December 43.

Would anyone have a suggestion to the color/camouflage pattern it should be wearing?

Bild101I-571-1721-29.jpg

My understanding is that this is probably one of the most frequently built Tigers - still there seems to be a lot of question marks around it.

Thanks in advance!

Johan

Pictures posted for discussion purpose only.

Edited by Johan

Hi johan

As regards the extended fenders on the Panther, I know of these ones but not of who might have stock close to you. But at least you have the knowledge of one type available if you can find them.

I knew someone did them in resin, just couldn't recall who it was.

Scratch build from card stock?

As for the Tiger, it looks like a single colour. Late 1943 would suggest dark yellow and heavily weathered.

W

Edited by Wolfpack

I think the Tiger is dark yellow with green camo. Take a look around the drivers visor, turret side and main gun / gune sleeve, certainly two different colours. I'm guessing green as I think brown/red brown would stand out more.

They are in decent shape to say that the photo is Dec 43, pretty sure thats a May/June 43 build. Looks like the airfilters are missing though, along with the smoke dischargers on the turret.

Cheers

Matt

Hi johan

As you've already said this is the well known photo of S33. I've seen the text under this photo quoted as

" End of 1943, fighting in the Zihtomir sector; Tiger S33 (with S13 following behind), sKp/SS-PzRgt.2, SS-Panzer Grenadier Division Das Reich. Note the impacts from anti-tank rifle on the front plate, and the divisional sign on the right - this unit marking was used from the Kursk offensive until the Winter of 1943-44. Also visible is the "Springender Teufel" (Jumping Devil) on the side of the turret."

There is another picture of this tank having its track repaired which gives a much closer and clearier picture of the colour/markings. Although black and white it does show its not a plain single colour scheme

http://www.ww2incolor.com/german-armor/S33vergleich_204.html

If you Google Tiger S33 selecting "images" you'll find plenty of images.

Most model examples show it with dark yellow base with green sprayed random lines.

For further info and history on the division you can go here, which is where you'll see the same picture you posted

http://www.fprado.com/armorsite/tigers-02.htm

Hope its of help.

Alan

Edited by alanmac

Q2, The Tiger in this picture is S33, according to the text the picture is taken in December 43.

Would anyone have a suggestion to the color/camouflage pattern it should be wearing?

:worms:

:winkgrin:

Mike D

• Like 1

Looking at the photos and the one in Panzer Colours 3, I would still go with a dirty dark yellow. It's a tank built before Sept 1943, with the Kursk marking (if that's what it is) meaning this survived Citadel and was transported to the Northern front. Many of the Tigers during the Citadel offensive were single colours and I would suggest the crew didn't have time to camouflage it, especially in view of the snow on the ground.

At the end of the day, no-one can say for certain and it's your model. Your choice!

W

Some Tigers *might* have survived to this period in dark grey with broad stripes of dark yellow though.

There's a 'GD' one in that scheme at Kursk. Mind you, interpreting colour from B&W photos . . .

Dear all,

Thank you very much for this welcome, Your help is much appreciated!

Regarding the Panther and the extended Mudflaps...

Andy and Alan, thanks for those links - I guess the Aber set is easier to get hold off but ohh, those resin parts :coolio:

Big W, I'd like to give it a try in Plasticard but I am bit worried about the complex shape, having seen the Aber parts gave me some ideas though.

Regarding S33...

I have taken some interest in this one, much because those pictures from the Kierowgrad forest have such a sigh in despair over them.

Big W, Matt, Mike D and ta152e - thanks for your comments and tips - it is a bit of a challenge with the Black and White pictures only - I think the discussion is part of the fun though :). Dark Yellow over Panzer Grey seems to have been the initial "camo" before the first batches of over all Dark Yellow where issued and I guess after half a year that would have faded to something rather monotone.

Alan, thanks for all the great links and your comments! Interesting to see Bison Decals comments on the color - basically a disclaimer saying that it should be Red Brown & or Olive Green stripes over Dark Yellow and that you always should check your references...
At the same time they reference O. Carius who "testimonies" it was Olive Green over Dark Yellow.

Big W, I have seen the comment that it is actually two different vehicles before, from what I have understood TIIF have picture evidence to prove that.
Most modelers seem to have gone with Bison Decals suggestion ( I know it is not their idea originally), a two to three color camo scheme and the Chinese symbol at the side, the track repair picture, where as the Tiger in your link to Carsten Bentzien's build seems to depict the one from the forest complete with battle damage on the mantle. First time I see it in overall DY- and what a great build by the way! Amazing attention to detail :worthy::worthy::worthy:

Thank you all for your time and taking interest, I have certainly learnt from your suggestions!
I am hoping to start this one soon and will probably go for the overall DY appearance - hoping that I can get somewhere near what Mr. Bentzien has achieved :unsure:

Very Best Regards

Johan

Edited by Johan