Airfix 1/72 YAK-9 - Finished!

Yeah, I agree with Troy - avoid the yellow-outlined stars. Russian standards identified red, white, and silver as being acceptable for markings - no mention of yellow.

John

Not exatly, in soviet VVS yellow colour was used too, but not as outlines of stars but commonly as ID of unit as the a/c numbers (or/and cowls, tail fins, different stripes etc) offen were painted white, yellow, red, blue and black. For example in the 9th Guards Fighter Aviation Regiment (9 ГИАП) 1st squadron as ID colour used red, 2nd- light blue, 3rd- yellow. And this is not only case in ww2 Soviet Air Force.

Silver outlines weren't common in VVS during ww2, common colours of the Stars since1943 were red with white or white and red outline. Silver outline was exeption from the rules.

Guessing the colour accordingto the old b/w photo is a wery hard and sometimes rewardness thing. For example in this photo

bf109f2_149-swfoto.jpg

the colour of BuNo, Hakenkreuz and Abschußbalken and shield of coat of arms seems to be darker than white colour of Balkenkreuz. But it's all white. The same paint applied in different conditions may look different at b/w photo.

PS: I have some Russian magazins on Yak fighters, if someone want I could share some scans from them for free by reason of 'out of production' (for a long time)/'hard to purchase' status of these books. But only via PM!!!

Edited by adlersieg

My plans came from airwar.ru, I'm afraid. I'm reluctant to give a proper link because I strongly suspect that the site is no respecter of copyright.

Since I started, I've noticed some more issues, in particular the canopy position is too far forward for a Yak-9D - moving it back would highlight the short fuselage, and if you are fixing that, you might as well fix the depth too. So this is a "looks like a Yak" build....

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian, I have these too.

It's fun to update old kits. (among a myriad of other subjects) I have three Airfix Widgeons in various phases of "accurization".

Carlos

Thanks Adrian, I have these too.

It's fun to update old kits. (among a myriad of other subjects) I have three Airfix Widgeons in various phases of "accurization".

Carlos

If you like to update old kits, there's an Obsolete Kit Group Build starting in September:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234922076-obsolete-kit-group-build/

Cheers,

Bill

If you like to update old kits, there's an Obsolete Kit Group Build starting in September:

I will aim to make that my first BM group build. I have hardly any kits from moulds made after 1980...

Regards,

Adrian

Hello All,

Slow progress this weekend because of "real painting". However, I've made a little bit of progress.

Looking at "white 31" it seems that the canopy is in the earlier, forward, position on a fuselage with less metal covering. So I filled in the rearmost panel line and added a new one to mark the join to the fabric covering:

IMG_2541_zps5f649e39.jpg

I have no white outline stars in the stash that aren't hopelessly out of register and yellowed. So I experimented with some home-brew decals on white inkjet decal paper. There they are on my trusty Airfix Ju88 testbed:

IMG_2542_zps881f0360.jpg

The star is a little translucent and the edges are a bit tricky (manual cutting of the outline showing a white edge, and they are a bit ridge-y too), but the Guards emblem is good enough to live under the exhaust stacks. I almost bought some Eagle Strike stars a couple of months ago in Atlanta, but thought "hey, when am I ever going to need stars?" Hannants don't have Eagle Strike stars in stock so I've bought some Techmod ones instead.

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

Looking good as always, Adrian! I do think you missed a bet on those Eagle Strike Soviet stars - I've bought two (three?) sheets of these and they've never let me down. They even have the silver-outlined stars! If you plan on doing any more VVS aircraft, they're worth the money.

Regards,

Jason

Want me to take a look in my stash.....I've got a fair amount of VVS stuff.

Can't promise a result, but I'd be more than happy to donate a decal or two to this magnificent project.

I had always assumed that the canopy was only shifted to the rear in the 9K & 9T tankbusters to accomodate the enormous main guns?

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

Want me to take a look in my stash.....I've got a fair amount of VVS stuff.

Can't promise a result, but I'd be more than happy to donate a decal or two to this magnificent project.

I had always assumed that the canopy was only shifted to the rear in the 9K & 9T tankbusters to accomodate the enormous main guns?

I believe it was originally shifted back for the big-gunned Yak-9's, but it may have improved the stability by moving the centre of gravity, or something like that as they kept the aft position for the Yak-9M, the Yak-9U, etc.

Regards,

Jason

Hello All,

Camouflage is on, all stippled on with a cut down brush to get the sprayed edge effect. The pattern is based on what I could see in the photos of my subject and other planes with similar patterns. I've changed it a teeny bit since taking the photos. Here's some early morning pictures in daylight with a camera phone:

yak-9_camo_left_zps24e726ac.jpg

yak-9_camo_rear_zpsb9510156.jpg

yak-9_camo_front_zpsf469f9f9.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 1

That looks very good, Adrian! It looks like a proper Yak-9. What did you use for the dark grey (AMT-12 Dark Grey) and the medium grey (AMT-11 Grey-Blue)? And the undersides blue (AMT-7 Blue), for that matter?

Regards,

Jason

Sarge,

Thanks for the offer but I've got some on order now, should turn up tomorrow.

That looks very good, Adrian! It looks like a proper Yak-9. What did you use for the dark grey (AMT-12 Dark Grey) and the medium grey (AMT-11 Grey-Blue)? And the undersides blue (AMT-7 Blue), for that matter?

Jason,

All Humbrol:

medium grey = 106 Ocean Grey

dark grey = 32 Dark Grey

underside = 1x 34 White + 1x 87 Steel Grey + 2x 65 Aircraft Blue

Regards,

Adrian

• Thanks 1

Thank you, Adrian! I've seen Ocean Grey mentioned for AMT-11 Blue-Grey; I'll have to give that a butcher's. Now that Dark Grey - I've always fancied that Extra Dark Sea Grey would be a reasonable equivalent to AMT-12 Dark Grey. How does the Humbrol 32 Dark Grey compare to EDSG?

Regards,

Jason

Jason,

The closest thing to EDSG in the Humbrol range is 79. This is on the blue side of grey and is the same hue/saturation as 106 Ocean Grey and 27 DSG. 32 is much browner and to me it looks more like the darker shade in the photos of the Yak factory walkaround.

Regards,

Adrian

Looks great, Humbrol 32 was the nearest to the AKAN AMT-12 that I could find and Ocean grey is pretty close to the AKAN AMT-11, it's really nice to see another Yak 3 !

Cheers

Dennis

Propeller day today!

IMG_2548_zpsbbb879cd.jpg

Top row: original kit blades, failed attempt to vacform new blades over a balsa former, filled with superglue over brass pin - they were rejected for being too big and too clumsy. Plus they had lost the root to tip twist.

Left hand cluster: kit spinner, reshaped using a drill and sandpaper, with brass axle and bushing. Home brew guards emblem decal.

Bottom row: Balsa blank, a carved blade that failed to make the grade, and the three chosen blades, sealed and strengthened with superglue. They have the root to tip twist and are very thin but they are still overscale in thickness (as I suspect all props are in this scale).

I was going to make a silicon mould and cast the blades but it was quicker (and cheaper!) to just carve two more. If you make them in an assembly line manner it's easier to get them looking the same.

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

Inspirational stuff Adrian, proper modelling at its finest, this going to be a cracker & a unique finished article.

Dennis,

I just noticed what kit your cat is sitting on... He doesn't look that bad!

Regards,

Adrian

He's OK as long as you feed him !

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 1

Hello All,

When I was adding the last piece after painting and finishing (drilling a hole for the aerial) I triggered a chain of events that left me with no shelf behind the pilot and a broken canopy. We've all done it...

I've made and fitted a new shelf and canopy - not as well fitted or finished as the original, but I wanted to get it done and move on. Don't start from the old Airfix kit if you want an accurate Yak-9. This is a closer and more detailed approximation, and I had fun doing it (apart from the canopy thing).

Enough already! On to the pictures (showing the very carefully fitted aerial):

yak-9-front-left_zpsc8bc83f3.jpg

yak-9-front-left-nosun_zps50abb557.jpg

yak-9-rear-left-2_zps3698ce92.jpg

yak-9-rear-right_zpse3098a2b.jpg

yak-9-under_zpsa7f4b8de.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 15