RAF Hawk 234 Sqn 1980 Brawdy

Hello all, I've just finished this one which is the final element for my project this year which I really wanted to get done (house move on the horizon). Its the 1/48 Italieri kit which I really prefer mainly because of the flap down option. I know the cockpit has its issues and I do think the jet pipe is over sized but hey ho. This one is done in the 234 Sqn using the Xtradecal option and fitted with the kit Matra 155 pod & the CBLS (flightpath) as would have been fitted at the time. The rear HUD guard is obviously scratch built out of plasticard and the seats are Neomega which I picked up at SMW 2012. FOD guards were fitted and a bit of stretched sprue for the rope. Thanks to Selwyn for the advice on the Matra as I've drilled mine out (I wanted it empty) so you can see through the troughs, I added a disc inside and drilled it out. I added the lettering with my artists ink pen and also for the MDC it's so much easier just follow the line!. Metal cote for the silver bits and then some of them polished for the shinny effect. Paints were Xtracrylix RAF green & Tamiya RAF grey with Windsor & Newton gloss/matt with the promodellers dirty wash and finally a crystal light from Little-Cars on the nose. Again I hope I've not over done it and trying to stay away from the arty effect rather focusing on the training tool it is/was.

SDC11285640x421_zps010e62e6.jpgSDC11286640x351_zps700f30dc.jpgSDC11287640x340_zps89ed0b9e.jpgSDC11288640x323_zpsd68f6214.jpgSDC11289640x281_zpsbd67e887.jpgSDC11290640x355_zpsbb3b3983.jpgSDC11291640x556_zps7273f0c3.jpg

Edited by speedy
  • Like 9

SNEB Pod came out looking great!

Selwyn

Thanks, I did trim the troughs and matt'd them off leaving the rest of the cone semi-gloss.

Nice model! Models of Brawdy aircraft always remind me of holidays in Pembrokeshre, both as a child and later with my wife.

Martin

• Like 1

I'm very dissapionted!!! :weep:

You've made a such good looking model :yahoo: with so many interesting things inside of it but leave us no chance to see them all :yikes:

I would like to look closer and learn how you've made it/!

Really nice! Very nice!

I really do like your style !

I prefer the Italeri Hawk as well. I've built 3 so far and I can see your attention to detail has come through with some of the corrections you've made to the base kit......leading edge stall inducers, flap vanes, fuel dump pipe, and the yellowing clear bits you added on the wing upper surfaces. Small stuff but well worth the time and effort.

Another big thumbs up..........what's next ???? :winkgrin:

Love it. My favourite scheme on the Hawk. Makes it look more like a proper warplane and less like a trainer. Yours is beautiful.

I was a Chivenor lad myself - but refreshed at Brawdy in 1984 - dunno if she was still around then.

I was back in Pembrokeshire to go walking a few weeks ago and it was kind of sad to see Brawdy as a business park......

Steve

Fantastic finish! Well done! Flew this on 234 Sqn when I went through TWU in 1989, but only the once! Like Steve, I remember a flight line lined with Hawks in both this scheme and the AD grey. I also preferred this scheme - makes the Hawk look the biz!!!