F20 Tigershark - Airfix +++ Completed +++

Bonhoff

A quick build to go with my Bell X-1 and P-51D - Main inspiration being that this aircraft is on the cover of Chuck Yeager's autobiography.

Picked up from the Coventry Show last year - Think it's Airfix's repop/copy of an LS kit - Willing to be corrected....

8688780718_5888eab3f5.jpg

Given that it has few parts - a bit of gluing, a fair bit of filling and we'd got this far....

8688780684_f1052be42a.jpg

8687661119_1c688a38d7.jpg

Since then it's been painted, cockpit canopy fitted and I'm just sorting the undercarriage now....

Will be completed later today...

Edited by Bonhoff
  • Like 1

Very nice, I'm trying to get the whole family of these aircraft. I've got the F-5B/F-20 now I've got the Dragon X-29 just need a good F-5A. My decals where shot to crap. How have yours stood up?

Will be watching yours :)

Kind Regards

Dazz

8690575912_a1cc4dce96.jpg

Well - It was all going so well....

Following on from the guidance given over on another part of this forum I painted the airframe in my take on the metallic grey car paint that the original was finished in.

A 50/50 mix of Citadel's Codex Grey mixed with Boltgun Metal gave me a metallic grey - followed by a coat of Pledge polish.

Then I decided to add the canopy.

It's at this point it all went wrong as far as I'm concerned.

I mean - Just look at it - The Canopy - What a rubbish shape - Nothing like the original :yikes:

With a heavy heart I carried on and added the other bits and bobs and a black wash to try and darken it slightly.

Dazzio - I was lucky - The decals went on ok actually. This surprised me somewhat as I've had a battle with the F-16XL from the same range.

It looked fine until the canopy went on so until someone releases a decent F20 in this scale I'd advise you that that's the one area you'll need to look at.

This one's completed now and will be hidden at the back of the cabinet.

8689455233_cd6325c713.jpg

8689455193_9daf13c87d.jpg

Agree 100% about the canopy, it almost looks like something from an eggplane.

If you come across and cheap f-5 somewhere use that canopy instead, nice work on the rest of the build and like its yeager stalemates.Well done.

That canopy is shockingly bad... It reminds me of those cartoon drawings of the F-104 you used to see. Ill have to check my one out now. Don't remember it being that bad... Least your decals where okay. All 6 of them :P. I got the XL too, don't think ill be using he decals in it tho.

Kind Regards

Dazz

Thanks guys.

It's certainly a comedy canopy - sort of struck me that it was some kind of plane off Thunderbirds or Captain Scarlet.

The F16 XL decals wouldn't come off the backing sheet and when they finally did, the long yellow stripe broke up into a number of pieces. These problems weren't too bad. The bigger problem was the wallpaper paste like residue that was left afterwards. Hopeless.