1/144 Roden C-47s - Air Rhodesia and RhAF - ***FINISHED***

Well I never ! This appeared in our house completely out of the blue.

1-2.jpg

Don't know how it got there, but as luck would have it, I needed it to accompany these two :

35.jpg

Bits and Pieces :

2-2.jpg

and we're off......

Decal design and drawing underway :

3-1.jpg

Fuselage together and wings taped on :

5.jpg

4-1.jpg

..and with the home-made decals :

6-1.jpg

Don't quite know what's possessed me ?

mike

Edited by mitchem
  • Like 2

Masked the cockpit windows and splashed some white primer on the fuselage :

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

The nose does look a little odd from certain angles, but in my mind, the kit looks a little closer to the real thing than the "other" one. :winkgrin:

• Like 1

The nose may be a bit fat in plan view, but that's why the modelling gods invented sandpaper. For the rest of it, there's no mistaking it for anything but a Dak. I think Roden have a winner on their hands here.

Fuselage painted with Appliance gloss white and cockpit masking pulled away to have a quick look.

Preliminary fuselage masking applied (nose does look a bit fat) and engine fronts tried for size after painting the cowling interiors.

10.jpg

11.jpg

Edited by mitchem

• 2 weeks later...

Great job on the models! The more I look at the Roden kit, the more I like it. The nose is a bit wonky, but nothing sandpaper can't fix. The roof line to the windshield is about 300% better than Minicraft's kit. I'll definitely pick up one or three in due course!

Andy

Sarasota, Florida, U.S.

Beautiful work on the Daks, there, mitchem! I am so looking forward to picking up a few of these when budget constraints allow. I've been collecting (and making my own) decals for a dozen+ assorted of these, and it will be lovely to have something other than the Minicraft kit to play with.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the kind comments and apologies that this is taking far longer than it should.

After drawing the decals up, I decided it was a good time to check my references.......only to discover that "7308" never existed ! (Quick trip to the Photoshop to make "7307" !)

What a pillock !

15.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments.

Inching towards the finish line with some progress on the civil version.

16.jpg

Had some issues with the paintwork and the home-made decals, but it's all down to my clumsiness.

Lots of touch-ups to be done with the odd repair job here and there.

mike

• 1 month later...