Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Intending to build this kit, as ZE907 Red Zebra.
AA_Tornado002.jpg
Original reciept says that this kit cost me 11.99 in 1996 - from a newsagent that was heading south. I bought quite a few bargain kits there. Receipt has crossed out original price tag of 19.99 on the back, so quite a saving.

A quick look at the contents of the box - that's been in my loft for a VERY long time.
AA_Tornado001.jpg

Later I bought XtraDecal set X007-48 to complete as ZE907 Red Zebra
AirfixTornado002_zpsea4dd154.jpg
Somewhere along the line I acquired an AeroClub white metal undercarriage set.

Edited by theplasticsurgeon
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I built a Hobbyboss Tornado in this scheme for the Tornado group build a while ago and it really does look good on a model. Good luck with the build and the masking because that's fun, especially the stripes underneath.

Pete

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

Well last night I airbrushed on the Light Aircraft Grey. This morning the Barley Grey.
TornadoBitsSun_zps7476be39.jpg
I like to paint the wings and shoulders on Swingwings before assembly.

Really rush job, I've got a 6th form squatter in my model room - so access isn't great.
I assembled the tailerons.
TornadoTails1_zpsc10cc96f.jpg
Rush assembly, rush filling, rush paint job.
TornadoTails2_zps3c06bc59.jpg
That demarcation line was masked with a birthday card held against the surface. Same for the wings.

And finally the mighty fin - with a poundshop white radiator aerosol.
TornadoWhiteTait_zpsd3c4db29.jpg

Hoping to assemble it all tomorrow.

Edited by theplasticsurgeon
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Are you painting everything up to the final colors, assemble, then touch up? If so, that's an interesting way to do it!

Not quite.

I paint the wings first because they will be difficult to do properly afterwards. And other bits whilst my airbrush is loaded.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just realised - I've got NO photos of this plane with any payload.

No tanks, no missiles - clean on all the reference photos I've got.

If anybody else has photos of this aircraft loaded, then please post them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Im building the very same aircraft and all my references show up "clean" all the time.

I believe it did some of the 1990 Airshow scene before it was hurriedly repainted as it was needed for GW ops because it was one of the recently upgraded F3s.

Andy

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am still with you, and bought a tin of red paint today.

Not getting much access to my model den at the moment as my son is exam revising in there.

Also I was away at archery most of last weekend (and won a medal!) and am away again tomorrow.

Looking for help trigonometry help now to calculate width of stripe on the tail.

My scientific calculator doesn't work, and I can't really remember that stuff from O'level.

I measured the distance from front of intake on the fin - to back of rudder at that level as 14.25 feet.

On picture of Red Zebra there are 6 about equal stripes 3 red and 3 white.

They are inclined at 45 degrees to horizontal - how wide is each stripe??????

I'm reckoning 2 feet - but can anybody confirm the maths for me please.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've just masked the tail stripes, and hope to airbrush red tomorrow.

Well painting has taken place this afternoon, so it's in the airing cupboard resting.

Off over to see my mum for tea, and plan to unmask when I return.

Probably see you with some indoor photos at about 10pm tonight.

Edited by theplasticsurgeon
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just so as not to disappoint AirfixAndy - now you can go to bed happy.

TornadoRedZebra011_zpsea91c6b3.jpg
Happier than me - loads of repair work left to do, as

the masking didn't work out as well as I'd hoped.
TornadoRedZebra010_zpsbaa485ec.jpg

This is using Revell gloss red.

Edited by theplasticsurgeon
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Has anybody ever built this kit successfully?

It's not strong enough to survive its own construction, I'm thinking very murderous thoughts towards it!

Sanding down the seam for the upper/lower fuselage halves - I've just broken the spar joining the elevators.

What a pile of junk! This is seriously unworthy of the time I'm spending on it - every job compromises something I did earlier.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes its buildable ....just needs lots of TLC.

The elevator spa is always fragile as are those seams on the fuselage so watch out.

If you are thinking of doing another Tonka replace the plastic spar with brass or aluminium tubing,

I posted a sort of how to guide over on the SIG if it helps.... Here

Please stick with it ......thats a lovely scheme !

Andy

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for that link Andy. My mutinous thought were not going to amount to anything constructive - so thanks for pulling me back from the brink.

They may not be quite what you had in mind, but I do have some tube from old arrows in my garage - yes thanks again, all is not lost. I had the same trouble with a GR1 in Raspberry Ripple, so I might remove the exhausts and do that model as well - and take some photos for you.

Cheers, Tim

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...