AMT Cut Away Millennium Falcon

I picked this up on eBay recently as another kit to play about with the lighting on.

IMG_0011_zpscab31729.jpg

Started to put bits together before taking any photos.

IMG_0013_zps9082307c.jpgIMG_0014_zps73ab2cb0.jpg

And put some paint on a few bits too. The main colour being a mix of white, buff and grey, as directed by FM on their kit/

IMG_0015_zps1a4da919.jpg

Final shot for now is of the some what poor fit of the kit!

IMG_0016_zps61fd3a4f.jpg

The intention is to light up the engine, the cockpit and the section under the cut away hull.

There are no decals with the kit so I have pulled out the placement pictures from the FM kit and all I can say is "What did AMT use as a reference for the model as it surely wasn't the studio model!"

This seems to be a common theme with AMT and MPC.

More soon.

Warren

One way and another, I have actually ended up with 3 MPC/AMT Falcons in the stash (1 cutaway and 2 standard versions). I think if you're going to do the cutaway one, then you're probably choosing the right option. Don't get too hung up on the accuracy issues and just have fun with it. ;)

Bit like this guy is, on youtube.

http://m.youtube.com/#/user/helipilot27

Yep - as the guys above said - it's a fun build which I keep dipping into on mine - some of the thinking on the internal detailing is somewhat baffling - wait till you see where the gun turret glazing sits.....right on top of the computer desk :)

I picked up some little battery operated LED Christmas lights from IKEA to serve as illumination on mine

Looking forward to seeing how this progresses

It's certainly not in the same league as the FM Falcon.

I'm playing around with a few electronic circuits to get some flashing lights as well as steady ones.

Cheers,

Warren

• 1 month later...

Just a quick update on the Falcon.

Detailing of the interior started.

IMG_0486_zpsca3abcd8.jpg

Also started to drill out for the fibre optics, actually replaced the front of the panel as it was easier than trying to drill what was there.

IMG_0487_zpsb0fe1f81.jpg

The exterior now has a couple of coats on and the red sections painted, still needs masking fluid removing.

IMG_0489_zpsf55b4878.jpg

IMG_0490_zps7a7d59e7.jpg

Lights added to the front.

IMG_0466_zps8af64b34.jpg

Next task is to sort out the engine lighting for which I will be using these 12V LED strips bought from eBay, 5.5M for £7 so should last for a few models!!

IMG_0491_zps0d134574.jpg

Cheers,

Warren

Edited by Madmonk

Managed to play about with the engine light last night and this morning. 3 rows of 15 LEDs plus a white plastic diffuser.

IMG_0503_zpsf1a40255.jpg

The photo isn't too good as the light is blue not purple.

IMG_0500_zpse29e3470.jpg

Also only run of a worn out 9V battery rather than 12V. Need to sort out some sort of grid now on the diffuser.

Cheers,

Warren

Thanks guys,

Bonhoff, it will be a separate 12v power supply as there is the best part of 1A of current just in the engines plus there will be all the internal lights as well.

Cheers,

Warren

Bit of an update, exterior is painted and had a coat of clear gloss ready for some weathering. (Hate that bit)

IMG_0557_zps2f17f817.jpg

Bottom

IMG_0558_zps4c4d4aa8.jpg

Off to watch the F1 now and think about what lighting and controls I want on this thing.

Cheers,

Warren

• 3 months later...

Been a while since I updated this thread so a few pics of my progress.

Weathering done top & bottom.

IMG_0018_zps8b95ff96.jpg

IMG_0019_zps130cee4d.jpg

The wires feed the LEDs at the front.

IMG_0014_zpse84a0a59.jpg

And the engines, you can just make out the grid I've started adding to the engine cover.

IMG_0016_zpsfc3fae3a.jpg

Next up is to sort out the fibres for the inside.

Cheers,

Warren

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Rob,

Nothing to report I'm afraid, my modelling has stopped for a short while as I am trying to set up a small website to sell the lighting kits and bases from so I am concentrating on building stocks up of the 4 lighting kits already developed.

X-Wing, TIE Fighter, Viper Mk VII and Viper Mk II

Hopefully on line in a couple of weeks.

Cheers,

Warren

• Like 1

Hi Rob,

Nothing to report I'm afraid, my modelling has stopped for a short while as I am trying to set up a small website to sell the lighting kits and bases from so I am concentrating on building stocks up of the 4 lighting kits already developed.

X-Wing, TIE Fighter, Viper Mk VII and Viper Mk II

Hopefully on line in a couple of weeks.

Cheers,

Warren

Oh cool Warren, that will be awesome.

If you need any help, info or tips then I'm your man. I am a senior software engineer in my day job and so build applications and sites every day of the week. :)

Cheers,

Rob

Thanks for the offer Rob, initially I'm just going to try a free e-commerce site and see how it goes. Should it get anywhere I may well be in touch.

Cheers,

Warren

Aha, alright, terrible fit with poor detail! A shame that they were the only company that got to officially make the majority of the Star Wars model on a mass production basis. Are you going to seal the electronics inside the model or have it inside the base similar to your Viper?