New Airfix Dambuster

Hi Guys

Just finished the new Dambuster. Only took 12 days which for me is lightening quick. Finished as ED924 AJ-Y flown by Sgt Cyril Anderson. He failed to find his target and brought his Upkeep back. For this he was unceremoniously sent back to 49 Sqd where he and his crew were later all killed on an operation in September '43. No major build problems, some bits to look out for whilst building, listed in the Aircraft review section. Xtracrylic and Revell paints, kit decals except the Y. Eagle eyed ones will notice it wasn't quite finished, still had activators to add to upper wing and the white glue hadn't properly dried, all sorted out now.

015_zps84b8c187.jpg

012-1_zps582b390a.jpg

011-2_zps02fcf9e5.jpg

013_zps275c1534.jpg

Regards

Paul

• Like 8

Please don't tease us!

Take your time, take the model outside and shoot some decent close ups of turrets, canopy etc...

Whenever a guy finishes a decent "viermot" and posts it on this forum, he regulary posts a couple of darkish and smallish pics.

But seriously, is it that much better than Revell?

Josip

I've loved the Lancaster since reading a book called I Flew with Braddock when I was young. Beautiful aircraft and a fine model.

Lovely job Paul, nice finish. Just getting to the stage of priming mine and it should be ready for Scampton. Not a bad kit though I feel it's a bit over engineered and 'fiddly' for beginners to be honest, a bit of fettling to get parts to fit but nonetheless a great basis for super detailing and an improvement over the Revell kit.

Just hope Eduard hurries up with the window masks, I've used several of the ones for the Revell kit but many are undersized for this one...research eh !

Have fun 'oop north........

Beautiful build mate! Didn't know they painted the Upkeep mines red though, that's new to me :)

They were all supplied to Scampton in primer. Some may, or may not have been painted, black (or possibly "green" there. At least one (ED927/AJ-E) went into action with an Upkeep still in primer. The germans reported on the colour when they recovered the mine intact.

This question of the colour of the Upkeep mines keeps surfacing. No records are known to exist, as far as I'm aware, that record what colour they were (as opposed to what colour they ought to have been) on the actual operation.

Hi Guys

Sorry for the delay, Just got back from the show at Perth. Thanks for the comments, the model led to a lot of conversations at the show. As for the bomb, Hurrinut has a book at home, a recent release whose name I cannot remember. In it is an interview with the station armament6s officer who said he was the only person on the station who knew which bombs were live and which were not He put a white chalk mark on them and he recorded that they were all in red oxide primer. Now I know from experience that people tend to forget things or remember them differently from fact but I am happy to believe him, some others who did builds for the display went a different route and they also cannot be disputed so I was happy to let them get on with it. A selection of pictures follows,

022_zps9339a7ec.jpg

024_zpsa501ccb1.jpg

023_zps8fb9541a.jpg

006-4_zpsaeb8797f.jpg

Andy, there are still three to complete should be done over the next fortnight,

Regards

Paul

Hi Guys

Just finished the new Dambuster. Only took 12 days which for me is lightening quick. Finished as ED924 AJ-Y flown by Sgt Cyril Anderson. He failed to find his target and brought his Upkeep back. For this he was unceremoniously sent back to 49 Sqd where he and his crew were later all killed on an operation in September '43. No major build problems, some bits to look out for whilst building, listed in the Aircraft review section. Xtracrylic and Revell paints, kit decals except the Y. Eagle eyed ones will notice it wasn't quite finished, still had activators to add to upper wing and the white glue hadn't properly dried, all sorted out now.

015_zps84b8c187.jpg

012-1_zps582b390a.jpg

011-2_zps02fcf9e5.jpg

013_zps275c1534.jpg

Regards

Paul

Well done on a good build. Looks fitting for the 70th Anniversary.

Kind regards

Steve

Never knew you was building one of these Paul, cracking job. Great to see the stall too :)

Looking forwards to seeing it in the flesh....well plastic!

If anyone fancies a good read, the Dambusters booklet is in the shops with 130 pages (by Clive Rowley). Read about half of it so far and a very interesting read it is, certainly educated me, even changed my perception of Guy Gibson too.

Neil