Tamiya 1/48 A-1J "Skyraider" - they called me "Spad"

You have done an excellent job representing this aircraft. If I had to make a suggestion for your future reference though, I would have to say that you should have dirtied the rest of the aircraft the same as what you recreated from the picture. This aircraft has been used and abused which is obvious from the photo and the parts you did weather. The issue is that the rest of your build looks like she just rolled out of the factory. I like the job you did and the exhaust staining is done great. You just need to even up the weathering and paint fade and remember if it's that dirty in one spot, it is going to be rough elsewhere too. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

You have done an excellent job representing this aircraft. If I had to make a suggestion for your future reference though, I would have to say that you should have dirtied the rest of the aircraft the same as what you recreated from the picture. This aircraft has been used and abused which is obvious from the photo and the parts you did weather. The issue is that the rest of your build looks like she just rolled out of the factory. I like the job you did and the exhaust staining is done great. You just need to even up the weathering and paint fade and remember if it's that dirty in one spot, it is going to be rough elsewhere too. :thumbsup:

Thank you for appreciation, Stryker!

Yes, you are ABSOLUTELY right about dirt and oil stains. And when I look at any model I do think the same way as you.

but let me explain why I have done it THAT way.

Despite the fact that I've read about the Spad a dozen various books, I've acquired barely a few photo references where one can clearly see the ventral side of aircraft.

On most cases the belly is in the shadow so it's impossible to distingiush any stains.

I have a plenty of photos with forward fuselage showing oil and dirt distribution and I have used them to good effect BUT with the rest of the belly I have not. Photos of the survived warbirds in flight did show some - but they are too clean for obvios reasons and thus cannot be used as references

Considering that Spad were very dirt aircraft and because of that very reason was washed regularly by the men who worked on it, I've decided to recreate the airplane that was recently washed and have not had time to gather much dirt.

So I put some dirt with tamiya pigments on the rear belly and the center section of the wing leaving the folding sections almost clean except the gun soot. Unfortunately I've failed to show the results to good effect on the pictures.

But You are RIGHT - the aircraft is rather clean than dirty and I shall try to imrove the situation and keep it in mind on my subsequent builds :)

Thank you very much!

PS. Have you noticed the slight exhaust staining extending to the very end of the rudder? And the smudges on flaps... If not then it's my fault :weep:

038_zps9f520faf.jpg

039_zps590fb6eb.jpg

Thank you! It's a pleasure to hear that.

How did you know about Capt. Marret? All info that I have about this a/c are those 2 pictures and a few words postmortem.

If I recall it correctly it was one of the Osprey books i found it in.

When you are interested I'll look it up for you.

If I recall it correctly it was one of the Osprey books i found it in.

When you are interested I'll look it up for you.

Yes i would like to!!

Thank you!

I am a big fan of the Spad.A great well researched build.Just to note if you build another one.The aerial fit differed a lot I have noticed.

I do see your point in relation to dirty aircraft.It is very easy to over do it.So subtle is the key I think.

This may be just the best Sandy I ever saw.. extremely nice! I love the weathering, the story (right up my alley), the paintjob and the finish.

That droptank looks amazing as well.

Super!!

Sid

P.S. Sock it to em was flown by George Marrett, he wrote a couple of very nice books as well!

Edited by Sid de Koning

This may be just the best Sandy I ever saw.. extremely nice! I love the weathering, the story (right up my alley), the paintjob and the finish.

That droptank looks amazing as well.

Super!!

Sid

It's a big pleasure to me to hear... to read that

Sock it to em was flown by George Marrett, he wrote a couple of very nice books as well!

Yes, I already know it :winkgrin: The MDman, another nice Netherlander ;) , kindly has sent me the link to almost full history of this particular a/c, and I learn about Marret's books

Thank You very much, guys!