Spitfire MkIIA, 1/48 Tamiya, me and... Edgar

I'd give one of my two children away if I could model like that.... Possibly both of them come to think of it!

That Spit has to be one of the best going around.. Congratulations on a top build.

Cheers.. Dave.

I have written on Polish site about fellow Britmodeller's comments these were nice but of no great value. These words are taken out of longer post treating about internet presentations and out of context obviously. It was never my intention to offend nice guys like You. Still if anybody felt unease with the words quoted by Artur I do honestly apologise. I will be glad to explain any doubts if the apologies would appear to be unsatisfactory.

Thank You again for Your kind comments and please feel free to point out possible mistakes if You care.

Dave, if You want to get rid of Your kid, don't make me a reason please. Your prettier half could curse me :).

I have written on Polish site about fellow Britmodeller's comments these were nice but of no great value. These words are taken out of longer post treating about internet presentations and out of context obviously. It was never my intention to offend nice guys like You. Still if anybody felt unease with the words quoted by Artur I do honestly apologise. I will be glad to explain any doubts if the apologies would appear to be unsatisfactory.

Thank You again for Your kind comments and please feel free to point out possible mistakes if You care.

Dave, if You want to get rid of Your kid, don't make me a reason please. Your prettier half could curse me :).

Thanks for explanation.

WOW!!!!.

That my friend is one superbly built,painted and historically correctly weathered Spitfire.

Not over weathered,just perfectly weathered.

Very,very,very well done that man.

Just goes to show what happens when you listen to Uncle Edgar doesn't it.

In my opinion stunning is a vastly over-used term, but here, I believe it to be entirely appropriate. That is superb!

It's a lovely kit and you, sir have turned it into a masterpiece!

How have you achieved the heavy weathering and fading across the upper fuselage around the fuel tank cap? Spots of different colour oil paint dragged with a brush?

Thanks for showing - and I for one can't see the evidence of poor planning!

Cheers

Rick

Well, I wouldn't be the one to put it in front of Your face, would I? ;)

An example would be an engine. I have started with ICM MkIX Merlin and fixed it only slightly before fitting it in the model's nose. The whole correction of supercharger section I had to correct through the bars of the cowlings and engine mounts - cutting, sawing and all. Then I had to add all of the detailing presenting engine fixture, like some gynaecologist... . But things are mostly fixed there. Anyway I had to lie here, and accept the truth there :).

Most of the weathering effect is a result of many layers. There are rough underlays, tonal corrections and final shaping. The latter ones are achieved with tiny brash long strokes. Lifecolor Tensochroms and clear lacquers were used here, mixed as needed. At least as long as we are talking about filler cap area. I have started the painting process late 2011, You know.

Edited by greatgonzo

Just been looking at it again,it really is exquisite.

It has "life" breathed into it somehow,the slightly dropped elevators,the castored tailwheel(a great stroke,I do it myself),

the finish,everything.

As a Spitfire fan myself,I personally think it's the most realistic and accurately weathered Spitfire model that

I've seen.

No big thick black panel lines that aren't there on a real one,but every panel line that can be seen is seen.

It really is perfect,historically accurate build and a lesson on how to really weather a Spit.

Bloody Hell,I've just noticed,it's even got the hood emergency release pull too!!!!!

Edited by Miggers

Miggers, I was very pleased to read Your comment here. For me it is always a pleasure to see somebody taking care to analyse the model he sees. I know, this needs the somebody to be a bit into the construction of the original, yet it still makes me glad to meet that kind of reaction produced by my work. :)

Here I add a few details. It is a pity the hanging connection wire of the gun sight with the plug dangling at the end has optically coalesced with the control stick. It also very hard to make a pic of dimming screen cassette (You may spot its operating handle though) or gun sight mount.

If You wanted to see the stuff in full resolution click me and scroll to the pictures.

4442_zps4ffb20fb.jpg

4444_zps02026841.jpg

4445_zpscbc978a3.jpg

4447_zpse04d4a8b.jpg

4450_zps19a7d7e3.jpg

4451_zps52ba78f1.jpg

4452_zpsb7f97958.jpg

4455_zpse2b3c935.jpg

4457_zpsa6d71305.jpg

4459_zpse7699bee.jpg

4460_zps36dba1cd.jpg

4461_zpsa0290732.jpg