XB-70 Valkyrie 1:72 exhausts by Armory

Caerbannog

Hi!

Here is a short review of an aftermarket set addressed to the AMT/Italeri XB-70 in 1:72. One of the biggest issues with the kit is in my view the undernourished exhausts. I bought the AMT version as soon as it came out and abandoned the project because I was unable to get anything appealing in exchange for the kit exhaust parts. Meanwhile I also bought the Italeri kit at a discounted price and planned to do my own etched exhaust parts but never finished the artwork. Rescue comes from Armory now! (I hope the pictures I try to post can be seen ...)

total2_zpse1ad481f.jpg

Armory released the #A7210 XB-70 Valkyrie exhaust nozzles as a limited edition this year. I got mine this weekend and like to share some pictures of this set. It does not only include the exhaust nozzles but also some other parts which will add further detail. The set looks absolutely great to me and is fairly large as well (see 20 cent coin – poor me has no Pound…).

etch_zpsb5faba29.jpg

instr_zps72f1b6d5.jpg

instr1_zps98a25454.jpg

instr2_zps91b723c7.jpg

instr3_zps479a00f5.jpg

I did not start to assemble the nozzles jet but will do so hopefully soon and let you know here. In the mean time there are some points in the instructions which are not very clear to me – maybe that will change once I started, but I think that Armory could improve here which better instructions. One thing about the set which will become difficult I suppose is shown in #9: You will need a plastic tube of 18 mm outer diameter for the build – I have no idea where to get this at the moment.

So from my first look this is an excellent set which I recommend to anyone with the AMT/Italeri kit in the shelf.

BTW: Extratech also released a Set for the XB-70 but I cannot comment on this in detail as I was too close-fisted regarding the retail price and the vague information on this set. It seem that it addresses the U/C doors, the U/C and several vents (some also included in the Armory set). If anybody has more info I would be happy to hear.

Rene

• Like 1

For the proper size tube I usually use a metric or standard inch size socket from my garage. Very round chrome smooth. And the deep well sockets are three to five inches long and you can snap an extension bar into it and chuck it into a bench vise for a solid work die. Just a thought. MP

Edited by GForceSS
  • Like 2

For the proper size tube I usually use a metric or standard inch size socket from my garage. Very round chrome smooth. And the deep well sockets are three to five inches long and you can snap an extension bar into it and chuck it into a bench vise for a solid work die. Just a thought. MP

This is a good idea. I found a supplier for acrylic tube of many useful diameters in Germany: http://www.antstore.net/shop/Baummarkt/Roehren/

I thought I have misread anything first but this is in fact something like a petshop - but only for ants! Dunno if this is a popular hobby and if anything alike exists in the UK.

Agree Jennings.

Anyway I am totally happy that Armory did this set and I suppose the tube is for the ones who want to make it as good as possible: If one looks at the pictures of the mounted etch parts you can see that there is only one exhaust cone attached to the 18 mm tube - all others are atatched with the small taps at the end of the etched cones. These taps are shown in the instructions with "delete these parts". So I think you have two options: Get a tube of the needed size and do it as shown in the instructions or attach the etch parts without tube (wich looks odd in my view). As mentioned the instructions could be a bit better in places :-)

Rene

• 3 weeks later...

I started on some exhaust cones over the weekend and got the 18mm tube from the "antstore". I had no camera at hand but have one more cone to finish so maybe I can take pictures next time. As imagined the instructions could be more clear but on the other hand one finds out what to do we you have the parts in front of you. The fitting is good but when it comes to the tube it gets tight: The tube I ordered is 18mm outside and 16 mm inside, so the kits plastic parts which must be utilized will not fit inside the tube without some sanding (or better grinding...). If the tube was 17 mm inside everything would fit perfectly I suppose.

Rene