Airfix Mustang.......

.....1960s tooling!!! Found this among my old builds.. and really do mean old!( I think I was around age 10) It wears Almark decals from a time when stuff like aftermarket goodies was still relatively new.

img2235.JPG

img2234u.jpg

It has lost its undercart, but I plan to fix it to an equally vintage Airfix display stand of which I have a few!

Note the fairly heavy raised lines for the controls like rudder,flaps and aileron, fine rivet detail. Also just visible is the inaccurate windscreen/canopy frame line.

The dorsal fin fillet was added by me with Humbrol Plastic wood!!! Re the decals, I still have an unused set in good condition and may do this one again with the new Airfix kit.

• Like 2

Nice to recall how bad "good enough" was back in the late Triassic. :banghead:

Not a critique of the modeler.

The late Triassic was enormous fun though! Of course there were some brilliant modellers even in those days but for many of us the dawning realisation fostered by people like Alan Hall (aircraft), Chris Ellis (AFVs) and Peter Hodges (ships) that you didn't have to finish the kit in the markings it came in and could even convert it into somethng that looked entirely different was very exciting and unleashed tides of enthusiastic bodging. (I even recall building a Deacon SP gun on a Matador chassis out of postcard because plastic card was unknown in my neck of the woods.) Almark have a very honourable part in that history. And, because there wasn't the wealth of brilliant research material there is nowadays, there were fewer rivet-counters out there to inhibit us!

• Like 1

Funny you should mention post cards. When I used to make just about everything in my early years of modelling, I coverted the Airfix Sherman tank in to a priest/Sexton with a rmenant of the AFX 25pdr for the armament.

I used to try out all the conversions which I felt capable of and all thanks to Alan Hall and Airfix magazine.

Which is why I have kept all my 1960s issues!

I remember blowing my old kits like this up with fireworks when I was that age. Nice to see when people have kept their old builds.

I made a few of those back in the late 60's early 70's and even painted them with Airfix's thick gloopy silver paint. The paint even when dry used to mark anything it came into contact with ! As for the model, as I remember, the cockpit detail was minimal, especially under that vast canopy.

Happy times !

Pretty advanced modelling for a ten year old – what with custom markings, exhaust staining and gunsmoke trails!

At that age, I belonged more to the BB & fireworks crowd…

And yes, I remember that Mustang kit well…

Kind regards,

Joachim

Joachim (and others) I must apologise for the un clear comment re this model and my age at time of building and must clarify the time scale a bit. I did originally build the kit at around age 10. At that age I don't think thoughts of adding the fillet or smoke stains ever entered my head!!

BUT the addition of the fin fillet and decals and stains were when I first refurbed it when I was around 15 or thereabouts by which time the wheels had long gone, hence a repaint and mod. The Almark decals weren't around in 1963!! But the model has lasted all this time together with my Hawker Hart, Harvard ( a much better rework) seen elsewhere here and a few others.

Thanks and also many thanks for your comments.

Ha, good memories of this first Airfix Mustang. Unfortunately, it went down in flames (literally!) from a third floor, killed by a Zero (still surviving somewhere).

Not so nice as yours, certainly. No paint to begin with.

• 2 months later...