Bridge Camera

SaintsPhil

Hello all,

I'm after a bit of advice on a decent bridge camera. My old point and shoot is not so good these days, but funds won't stretch to a 'big boy' camera! I thought I'd compromise and try a bridge. Budget is about £150 and I'd like a good alrounder, closeups of models plus good in the real world too!

I know there are a lot of knowledgable chaps, and chapets, on here so I'm hoping for some suggestions!

Thanks

Phil

I just purchased a Panasonic TZ 12MP camera for £106.91 including P & P from QVC (intended mainly for models). This is a good deal as you could pay over £200 for this camera at other places.

I hope this helps.

Nigel

I've not downloaded any pictures yet but it appears to take good close ups from reviews I have read. See the picture of the pencils here:

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/cameras-and-camcorders/cameras/compact-cameras/panasonic-lumix-tz25-1105361/review/5#articleContent

Nigel

That's not a bridge camera, but a compact point & shoot.

Look for manual exposure modes (PSAM), macro mode settings, and the bigger the sensor the better. That's physical dimensions, not megapixel count (which does NOT matter these days). Stepping up to managing your own exposure control from "auto" will do wonders for your results. A good compact will give you excellent results, though without the ludicrous zoom range of the bigger bridge cameras.

A good one to look out for (possibly second hand?) would be something like a Canon G9, or if you can stretch to it the recent Fuji X10. Both superb cameras.

Edited by pyro-manic

Yo Pyro!

The G9 is a long time discontinued squire but a good shout if bought s/h. If you don't want RAW shooting, maybe even a G7.

Just a point to bear in mind, bridge cameras are dogs at airshows!

I just purchased a Panasonic TZ 12MP camera for £106.91 including P & P from QVC (intended mainly for models). This is a good deal as you could pay over £200 for this camera at other places.

I hope this helps

Edited by PHREAK

To be brutal, you are not going to get a decent bridge camera at £150,00

The recommended Panasonic TZ is a TZ25, now discontinued I'm afraid and not available in the shops anymore...good in it's day. Current TZ35 is £200.00+

Have a look at the Nikon Coolpix 9300....good bit of kit IMHO although slightly above your budget.

HTH

Rich

• 6 months later...

I purchased a Pentax X-5 'bridge' camera at the start of this year and I am pleased with the results especially in poor weather and low light, have had several photos accepted onto the Airfighters.com photo website:

http://www.airfighters.com/photo/130144/M/USA-Air-Force/General-Dynamics-F-111E-Aardvark/68-0060/

http://www.airfighters.com/photo/130895/M/USA-Air-Force/North-American-F-100D-Super-Sabre/54-2163/

Both taken on a wet day in Dumfries! Couldn't comment regards comparison with other brands though.

Michael