Enough of green I want some grey on my Merlin......

Glad to see this revived from the shelf of doom. Watching with interest just surprised that there's never been an aftermarket conversion for this as I'd I've thought it'd be quite popular!

40 minutes ago, Benbow said:

Glad to see this revived from the shelf of doom. Watching with interest just surprised that there's never been an aftermarket conversion for this as I'd I've thought it'd be quite popular!

Well, that was the idea when I first started the project but it soon showed that it would have been a very expensive conversion set indeed, probably the best part of  a hundred quid. I don't see many punters jumping at that sort of price, plus the 40 for the kit and then PE parts too...

Colin

5 minutes ago, Dads203 said:

Keeping an eye on this one, so far it’s got all the ingredients to be a spectacular build :yes:

Thanks Dads, I can't believe it's been sat on the shelf for the best part of five years...

Wait until I get to the blade fold!

Colin

• Like 2

I'm really getting stuck into this again, here are a few updates since last evening... adding detail, it takes time! We've got a bit of a soft day here so I'm using the time to crack on...

IMG_2073%202crre_zpsjhnwikk9.jpg

The support flange for the radome, thin card with a fold at the centreline. I'll have to build up a block of platicard for the dome casing.

IMG_2070crre_zps91tuxs5x.jpg

Starboard avionics outlet/intake grill, a tad in need of tidying up.

IMG_2067crre_zpsalwz3kec.jpg

Aft of the cabin main access door the grab handle and below that the electric (maybe ground supply? but not being a greeny it could be anything!) socket which previously had a cover plate over it, still to be added is a small teardrop shaped cover.

IMG_2069crre_zpsc91qa51q.jpg

Back on the port side, at the rear of the cabin are three maintenace access steps. I found a suitable scibing tempale to scribe the top outline the rest of the detail will be from plasticard.

IMG_2068crre_zpsahqltugl.jpg

In the centre of the port side is the filled window and an itake/exhaust for the main avionics/ weapons operator stations. I opened up the three gravity refuel point as the kit ones are too shallow. I have nade the cover/vent plate for the diagonal opening but it has gone AWOL on my work top!!!

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies guys, I'm not ignoring you. I had a second weekend with a return of a strep throat!!! So bad I couldn't even down a glass of red wine. On the mend though, so some progress soon.

Colin

• Sad 2

Great effort there Colin ,lots of skill and clever stough! At the risk of "grannies eggs " regarding the vents on the tail , would you take the plastic from inside with your trusty Dremel or attack from the exterior?  Inside I presume would be easier. Enjoying the project. Fingers crossed they don't go back to green once you have painted it.

That's not going to happen

Possibly

Colin having been the proud possessor of a vile and virulent bug which is stopping me enjoying, nay, even tasting the benefits of incahol you have my and my beloved spouse's eternal sympathy

Let's all get better together

"Dear Lord I pray..."

The work on the jollychopter looks darned good

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Great thread, glad you have started back on this again. Interested in the Merlin as I have promised my wife (half Norwegian you see) that I will soon make a Norwegian Sea King (thank you Airfix for latest release complete with decals) and the newly arrived Norwegian AW101. Foolish promise?

Just a few other build to finish yet though.

Terry

• Like 1

Thanks Terrry, she's on hold again, whilst I finish my Jungle Merlin. I had to source paint form a  club mate on Saturday, no Humbrol 86 in my paint store!!! Lots of repair work around the canopy .

I'll be going intot he cabin when I resume...

Colin

• Like 1

There was a very detailed cutaway of the Merlin (proper Navy version) posted outside the archive rooms at Yeovilton FAA Museum, and it apparently originated from a FAA newsletter or similar publication.  Lots to consider that would supplement photo/walkaround coverage.  I've tried tracking this down, but to no avail.  Perhaps someone else here had the issue?

Lee

On 5/28/2018 at 6:59 PM, regulus said:

There was a very detailed cutaway of the Merlin (proper Navy version) posted outside the archive rooms at Yeovilton FAA Museum, and it apparently originated from a FAA newsletter or similar publication.  Lots to consider that would supplement photo/walkaround coverage.  I've tried tracking this down, but to no avail.  Perhaps someone else here had the issue?

Lee

Good evening Lee. Would have been  good to look at this piece of reference. I've been using the images I can find on the intergoogle. Lots of good images even of the Mk2's. Just a matter of scaling thinkgs/refering to locations within the fuselage.

Colin