Italeri Me-210 1/72

Everyone,

My latest effort is an Italeri Messerschmitt Me-210 in 1/72. This is my third model after a 20+ year break and it's taken me weeks and weeks of work to get this far. While working on this model I've discovered a number of modelling techniques and products along the way, which have included:

1) the use of Klear when brush painting

2) liquid green stuff

3) vallejo model color acrylics

3) micromesh

4) how to strip a model back to the bare plastic using flash bathroom cleaner

5) how not to use watercolours to do panel lines (and how they highlight paint blemishes and splits in your decals...

6) how to stretch a sprue to make wires (but not how to stop the things sagging, as you'll see in the photos)

7) that if I'm happy with a finish the worst thing I can do is try and improve it

8) how to do a mottled camo scheme with a citadel dry brush

9) that brush painting white is a thankless task and never comes out how you'd like it to

10) that britmodeller is the most useful resource I could have in taking up this hobby again.

Anyway, here she is, in all her beauty.

IMG_20130421_171647_zps4f10d2a0.jpg

IMG_20130421_171656_zpsf8fb006a.jpg

IMG_20130421_171732_zps9ad407f7.jpg

IMG_20130421_171746_zps586bf7f5.jpg

IMG_20130421_171826_zps82577be2.jpg

IMG_20130421_171843_zpsb7c2d1a8.jpg

IMG_20130421_171906_zpsa9dc655d.jpg

IMG_20130421_171921_zps7ed89746.jpg

Let me know what you think.

Richard

• Like 2

I like that, and you have done well to get such a nice mottle with a brush. I think a lot of people will be with you about brushing white too, it is hard work even with an airbrush.

I have gone over from stretching sprue to make aerials and I now use use stretched cotton bud after seeing it done here on Britmodeller. It can be stretched incredibly thin, thinner than hair, and it is slightly elastic. You could attach a long piece to the fin and get a bit of tension on it to attach to the mast. Once the glue has dried (cyano and a bit of activator will have it done in an instant) you could carefully cut off the excess leaving a reasonably tight aerial wire. Others may have their own methods, that one is mine.

• Like 1

Thanks guys. It's not been a build without difficulty, it has to be said. It is a lovely kit though and I'm generally happy with the result.

I think in general, the only problems that I had, were entirely of my own making, as the photo below shows:

904278_10151546519938905_1823713517_o_zp

Thanks Duncan.

It's not up to your very high standards, but every model is a learning experience. I've had a go at the drooping wire and managed to straighten it now. Makes a big big difference to the end result I think.

Richard

• Like 1

Nice model, mate, i never got the prue stretching right, i now use human hair. With long haired ladies in the house there is abundant supply..

• Like 2

Thats a nice build indeed Richard, I think you've sold me on one of these, at least till a decent 410 turns up. ;)

I believe that you can tighten stretched sprue by holding a hot pin or similar close(but not too close) to the filiment, though whatever you've done has had the desired effect, looks good.

Natter, what brand of cotton buds do you use for this? I'm guessing the sticks on different brands are not created equal.

Steve.

• Like 1

I have abandoned the use of streched sprue and nylon fishing line for cables and now use EZ line - its far more robust and much easier to use (it has an instant grab with superglue).

What greys did you use the the upper camouflage? I have used the "correct" greys 74 and 75 in Vallejo's RLM model air range on several models but I have decided that they are far too close in colour, I think your colour choice gives a better effect.

Nigel

• Like 1

Hi Richard

first of well done on returning to the hobby at all, I only got to do after the kids arrived so I could claim they were keen to build them. My one of these didn't survive the fall from the bedroom ceiling, the guilty party has still to be identified despite intensive interrogation and the resultant wreckage is in the to do pile !

Great paint work, agree about the Grey's yours are a better match.

• Like 1

I have abandoned the use of streched sprue and nylon fishing line for cables and now use EZ line - its far more robust and much easier to use (it has an instant grab with superglue).

What greys did you use the the upper camouflage? I have used the "correct" greys 74 and 75 in Vallejo's RLM model air range on several models but I have decided that they are far too close in colour, I think your colour choice gives a better effect.

Nigel

EZ line for me too these days, never tried stretched sprue but used fishing line and could never get it tight enough.

Duncan B

• Like 1

Nigel,

I spent a lot of time (and money) trying to find two greys that would work and give sufficient contrast and a realistic look. I didn't really want to mix them and I knew I wanted a vallejo model color paint because I find they brush so well.

Unfortunately I'm unexpectedly away from home because of a family emergency at the moment, but as soon as I'm home I'll let you know what I used. I know the dark grey is Vallejo 869 Basalt Grey, and the lighter grey is a marine grey, I'm just not sure which. I'll post back here in a couple of days when I'm home.

I spent ages trying to get the right mix of paint and thinner and eventually settled on 1 part paint, 1 part Klear and 1 part tap water. Worked a treat. :-)

Steve, in the end I just detached the wire from the mast and re-glued the end a little bit further forward. It took a steady hand while the CA dried, but it got the job done.

As I said in the other thread, I'd thoroughly recommend it as a kit and she's definitely my best build so far.

I now have both a matchbox and a Fine Molds 410 in the stash, although I think I'll change subject for a little while and come back to it once I've done something a little bit different. Trying to pick between a Pe-2, a 1/48 mossie PR, an Eduard Bf110 profipack and a weekend edition Sturmovik at the moment, and finishing off a airfix spit while I try to decide.

The stash seems to have got very big very quickly. :-)

Thanks for the nice comments everyone.

Richard

Hi Richard,

Nice build you have there.

I have Italeri´ 210 and 410 to build my self. Only one criticism, please check your references because the landing gear is not right.

Wheels should be facing inwards.....

Best regards

FBorges

• Like 1

Nigel,

As promised, I've had a look at the paints and they are:

Vallejo Model Color 991 - Dark Sea Grey for RLM 74 (the lighter colour)

Vallejo Model Color 869 - Basalt Grey for RLM 75 (the darker one)

One thing is that the 869, when wet, seems to be almost exactly the same colour as the 991 when it's dry, making application a little harder, but when both are dry you get a good contrast.

Cheers,

Richard