1:72 Planet Models Grumman XF10F-1 Jaguar

Navy Bird

Hi mates!

Just a couple of photos today, as I'm off at 6:00 AM tomorrow for a week at Rehoboth Beach, Delaware. I plan on driving up to Dover AFB sometime during the week to visit the USAF Air Mobility Command Museum. That will be a first for me - should be fun!

So here is where the bird will sit for the next week.

100_3513

100_3514

100_3515

100_3520

100_3518

100_3522

I'm starting to like how she's turning out. Lots more to do after I return from holiday, but I should have it finished before the end of the group build on July 14. Can I assume that is July 14, 0:00 hours GMT? Or do I get five extra hours as I'm in the Eastern US? :)

Cheers,

Bill

I would not have guessed a Spitfire panel, Bill, though I've seen a few in my modelling travels. I have to say that's about the only resemblance between this aeroplane and R.J.'s design. I do look forward to the finished model; who knows, it might even persuade me to buy one of these kits (I've thought about it in the past, but Planet Models are a little pricey for this poor writer - poor monetarily, not in quality of my work, let's make that clear!).

Regards,

Jason

Great job on the old beast Bill !, a typically quirky fifties design. Looks like the struggle with the decals was well worth it !

Myers appraisal of the aircraft was interesting, being the only pilot to fly the Jaguar I guess he was in a good position to describe it as ''entertaining to fly, mainly because there was so much wrong with it''.

Great stuff, (of the right stuff..)

On 6/21/2013 at 23:03, trickyrich said:

thats a fantastic job Bill.

looks really lovely, with that sort of finish it's almost hard to believe it's not are larger scale.

Thanks, Rich. I think the Floquil Flat works really well at achieving the "scale-gloss" effect for 1:72 models. What it doesn't do very well, though, is live up to its name. Flat it isn't, that's for sure! To get the best eggshell finish, the gloss underneath needs to be super-smooth. If it has any orange-peel or pebble effect, that will get carried over to the Floquil Flat as well. I don't know if Floquil is available in the UK - it's a model railroad paint that is currently owned and distributed by Testors.

On 6/21/2013 at 23:14, Learstang said:

I would not have guessed a Spitfire panel, Bill, though I've seen a few in my modelling travels. I have to say that's about the only resemblance between this aeroplane and R.J.'s design. I do look forward to the finished model; who knows, it might even persuade me to buy one of these kits (I've thought about it in the past, but Planet Models are a little pricey for this poor writer - poor monetarily, not in quality of my work, let's make that clear!).

I suspect if R.J. had taken a look at the XF10F, he probably would have entered "WTF" in his diary!

I bought this kit from West Coast Hobbies in British Columbia, Canada. They have great prices on CMR and other resin kits. I think I paid $41 CAD, so it wasn't so bad.

On 6/27/2013 at 14:41, Jabba said:

That is looking weird, interesting and wonderful. Well done with the build so far.

Thanks, Jabba. The 1950s was an amazing time for the fertile imaginations of aircraft designers all over the world.

On 6/28/2013 at 10:27, general melchett said:

Great job on the old beast Bill !, a typically quirky fifties design. Looks like the struggle with the decals was well worth it !

Myers appraisal of the aircraft was interesting, being the only pilot to fly the Jaguar I guess he was in a good position to describe it as ''entertaining to fly, mainly because there was so much wrong with it''.

Great stuff, (of the right stuff..)

Thanks, General! You should be pleased to know it was after having a look at one of your resin kit builds (the XF-103, I think) I decided to give it a try myself. My first resin kit was the CMR Buccaneer (bloody wonderful kit, by the way!) and this is my second. So in a sense, it's all your fault! I am now addicted to resin dust!

The XF10F volume in the Ginter series was written by Corky, and it's very entertaining. In addition to great quotes like that, he relates many anecdotes about the design and flight testing of the Jaguar. In one story, he describes how NACA configured a Hellcat to allow lateral and directional stability to be varied in flight. Corky flew the Hellcat after the XF10F swept wing parameters were inserted into this "stability control box." The stability in flight was so bad that neither he nor anyone else connected with the XF10F program believed it. Corky had not yet flown the Jaguar at this time. As it turned out, the NACA tests simulated the actual characteristics of the Jaguar very well. This convinced Corky that such characteristics could be predicted prior to flight, by "people who were not proud parents of the design."

Cheers,

Bill

Hi mates,

More progress! First, the ejection seat. You may recall that the seat supplied with the kit is a bit too modern for the Jaguar. Based on good advice from Tommy, I decided to use a seat from an F9F Panther which I was able to secure from Obscureco. Unfortunately, the Panther headrest does not match the photos of the Jaguar, so I grafted on a headrest from the prototype F-18 Hornet. It matches reasonably well - here it is after painting and a wash.

100_3526

Next up is the inside of the exhaust. On the beautiful line drawing included with the Ginter volume on the XF10-1, there is what appears to be baffles or a corrugated effect inside the exhaust, and it is labelled a "Mullaney Shroud Diffuser." This picture shows what I'm describing (also note the deployed paddle spoilers on the wings, which I conveniently decided not to try and duplicate):

f10f-6big

Our dear friend Nobby provided the inspiration for my next move. I grabbed a can of Coke (Light, of course) and proceeded to cut it open so I would have a nice supply of very thin sheet metal. I cut a section that was the right size to line the inside of the exhaust - this took some trial and error.

100_3527

To simulate the baffles or corrugation, I took the easy way out and decided to paint some white stripes onto the bare metal.

100_3528

It's not completely authentic, but I think it will look OK. So let's roll it up and put it inside the exhaust.

100_3529

100_3530

The remaining items to complete the build are the always fun "fiddly bits." This includes the nose probe (which Planet Models correctly depicted as "bent" down at the front). Based on photos of the Jaguar I added an additional sensor to the top of the nose probe. I went through the magic box of fiddly bits and found two PE pitot tubes which I added to the underside of the nose, right in front of the nose gear.

I used the nose cone from an old Sidewinder missile to act as the ADF dome, which I painted with a gold tint of Alclad. This was mounted on a rack that was installed above the emergency oxygen canisters on the shelf behind the cockpit.

I added the retractable boarding step to the lower port fuselage, and also painted on the wing navigation lights (which I had forgot completely). From photos, the lights have a silver frame around them which I wisely decided not to try and brush by hand - in the decal spares box I found some nice thin silver stripes. After that, the sliding canopy went on in the open position and there she is. I think it's finished!

100_3576

100_3580

100_3583

I'll add some more photos to the finished build thread, and also to the main Ready For Inspection forum. This was a fun build, and I now have two resin kits under my belt. I have a suspicion that it won't be my last!

Cheers,

Bill

Brilliant build, Bill! Now does this kit fall under you'd be crazy to try it, or it takes a bit of work, but you can make a cracking nice model with it (you obviously managed the latter)?

Regards,

Jason

what a really lovely job Bill, she looks beautiful! :thumbsup::clap:

You had me worried for a bit with the tin can, thought you were going to try and manufacture the corrugated exhaust from scratch! The painting was very clever and certainly looks the part!

So have you been converted to resin??? :wicked:

Sorry for the late reply, just got back from a week of camping...

On 7/5/2013 at 14:15, Learstang said:

Brilliant build, Bill! Now does this kit fall under you'd be crazy to try it, or it takes a bit of work, but you can make a cracking nice model with it (you obviously managed the latter)?

Regards,

Jason

Definitely the latter. Personally, I like challenges every once in a while. Keeps me brain sharp - I can't imagine how bad the dementia would be without model building! :)

On 7/5/2013 at 19:57, trickyrich said:

what a really lovely job Bill, she looks beautiful! :thumbsup::clap:

You had me worried for a bit with the tin can, thought you were going to try and manufacture the corrugated exhaust from scratch! The painting was very clever and certainly looks the part!

So have you been converted to resin??? :wicked:

Absolutely. But not to the point that I'll be selling off all of my styrene stash! By the way, I tried to create a corrugation in the thin metal. It would work (sort of) until you tried to roll it up. Then she no look so good.

Cheers,

Bill

PS. Now, what to do for the USN group build? I thought about an F-111B, but that would be a conversion of an already built FB-111A, so it's more than 25% complete. I'll do that eventually, but not for this GB. Maybe an F-18 in USN centennial markings - glossy sea blue or three tone (non-specular sea blue, medium blue and white)? Both look pretty cool.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi Bill,

Just finished your article on the con struction of the "Jaguar".

Interesting subject and master modeler skills.

Not to forget, excellent pictures with the article.

Enjoyed it very much. Thanks for all the effort.

Regards,

Dirk