Airfix 1/72nd Typhoon - 27th May Calling it done!

I have been away all this week but I managed to get some paint on! I painted Alclad partly as a way to see faults but also as if there is any chipping then it is real chips so to speak. I also fitted the prop as I had just glued it and I wanted to see what it looked like.

IMG_0341_zpse66b8569.jpg

I then sprayed the lower surfaces with Gunze Mr Color Medium Sea Gray.

IMG_0339_zps9b8efda6.jpg

I bought 60 bottles of Mr Color in Japan 3 weeks ago - priced at 100 Yen each (around 75p) only to find that I can no longer ship them from Japan as non of the courier companies (Japan Post, EMS, TNT, FedEx, DHL) will take them even by sea as they are flammable! Every other time I have been I have been able to do this but not anymore. The hotel has very helpfully promised to keep them for me until I return next year on holiday. That's great but I am not sure what I am going to do then either!

• Like 1

On my trip to Japan and Hong Kong last year, I bought around 30 bottles of Gunze Aqueous. I packed them all in bubble wrap, put them in my checked luggage, and nobody said a thing. They arrived in fine shape. :)

Cheers,

Bill

Hi Bill,

I did think about that - but with these being the lacquer based paint and a little more flammable I did not fancy being on the flight if anything happened. I might need to do that next time!

IMG_03092_zps3571c0ec.jpg

Tabs?! Oops - I thought they were just part of the sprue gates, so I cut them off! Doesn't seem to have caused any problems, though - mine went together slick as anything. It's an extremely nice kit, and you're doing a sweet job of building it. Keep up the good work!

John

Doh - spot the mistake. I used the wrong grey for the lower surfaces - this would be fine for the top surfaces. Back to the paint shop...

If it makes you feel better, the last time I did anything with Sea Grey Medium undersides, I grabbed a bottle of Testors thinner, diluted the paint, sprayed two Spitfires, and then realized the "thinner" was actually Testors liquid glue. It does make the paint bond wonderfully well to the plastic, though.

John

• Like 1

John - that does sound very painful and one to certainly avoid in the future!

John/Dave - In truth I came very close to cutting them off as I too, originally thought they where sprue gate attachment points.

Ok. I have now found the correct Gunze RAF colours set so I repainted this evening.

IMG_0379_zps9d68c57d.jpg

Bit of a bummer as I really wanted to get on with the rest of the painting tomorrow. I will now need to wait for a couple of days for the paint to really harden before masking and spraying the top surfaces.

Masking, masking, masking...

Got the top coat on after masking the underside but forgot to take any photos!

IMG_0427_zps3adae497.jpg

I am now at the point after a couple of hours this evening where I can shoot the green - was really hoping to get it sprayed tonight as well but I have now been ordered into the lounge with my wife.

IMG_0431_zpsba1174eb.jpg

I will splosh on some Mr Masking Neo tomorrow and then paint it. With the masking of the CMR Scimitars as well this is ALL I seem to have done the last few evenings

• Like 1

I got a little further last night as I could not sleep. Here are the results so far.

IMG_0442_zps0c766bbf.jpg

IMG_0436_zps0d653d4c.jpg

[/url]

IMG_0435_zpse7eb3ba4.jpg

Lots of work still - Cockpit area and sight need painting, weathering, lightning of the underside gray, touch ups, invasion stripes, yellow wing bands etc. For £7.50 this is a great model and great value. Well done Airfix.

Edited by crobinsonh

Very tasty indeed! Makes me want to move this one to the top of my stash, but I already have 14 kits in the number 1 spot...

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

Lovely kit, and great job on it! When I first saw page two of this thread, I thought the cannons were AM, but looking back at the first page I see they come with the kit. Very nice touch, indeed, by Mr. Airfix. Well, I guess I picked a bad week to give up buying Typhoons.

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang

Thanks everyone for their comments.

More progress today - some "tweezer" chipping down to the Alclad.

IMG_0451_zps904f6b1f.jpg

IMG_0449_zps0d62818b.jpg

Now onto the invasion stripes - White first!

IMG_0455_zps015e1794.jpg

Black next - I may leave this to Monday/Tuesday to make sure the white is really hard.

• Like 1

Great thread, wonderful build so far and can't wait to get my mitts on one! Love the alclad technique too! :-)

A few more updates from last Sunday morning before all hell broke loose...

IMG_0459_zpsd11766d4.jpg

IMG_0460_zpsf2049568.jpg

IMG_0462_zpsfbe7e995.jpg

IMG_0463_zpsd920da58.jpg

Now the weathering needs to start once I have painted the cannons and I have brought some of the True Earth products to try out.

Edited by crobinsonh
  • Like 1

WOW! Looks awesome! Just got myself one today at Hendon's model show: AMAZING kit! I'm curious as to how you did the left top-of-wing roundel though. Did you just cut the decal or actually put it on the hatch in the closed position? Sorry if I'm not making much sense: there's a lot of model glue in the air right now... haha