1/72 Rareplanes vacform Gates Learjet C21-A (finished)

kev67

Having a small rest from building the Vickers Vanguard, I decided I needed something rather quicker to build so whipped this out of my stash which I have had for a few years which I bought on Ebay, the only problem is it did not come with a clear cockpit, so may have to resort in making a resin mould and casting a clear canopy, anyway I am going to build this kit with full interior, cabin door open, wing and tail flaps cut out etc, I am going to use TwoSix decals for this as well.

IMG_0384_038_zps51848782.jpg

cdd5291e-1e03-4ee1-8371-2fc45f9dd51f_zps

I won't bore anyone on how to make Vacform kits as everyone has there own way of doing things, and there are much better vacform builders than me, anyway I have cut the shapes out of the sheet, next step is to cut out the windows and door.

20664af8-c3aa-4f9c-9b1a-faf251ffff8b_zps

Windows and door cut out, the windows are square at the moment but I will use superglue on the corners and allow this to dry and file to shape so the corners are more roundish.

IMG_0386_040_zpsf5190e26.jpg

Windows have been shaped more to represent how they are on the Learjet using medium CA Superglue on the corners and allowed to dry, a quick coat of Tamiya spray to identify any corrections

DSC_0001_043_zps77e7ebbc.jpg

Another hit methinks ;)

Love the window treatment

I need more Medium CA, it keeps deglooping and up-plugging inside its bottle

Learjet, my missus's everytime answer to "wots that bizjet?"

I'm in for this ride

:thumbsup:

Love the window treatment

I need more Medium CA, it keeps deglooping and up-plugging inside its bottle

Store your CA in the fridge. It will last a lot longer if you do.

Oh goody, will be watching this

Didn't know 26 did decals for a Lear, can't find on their website, what scheme are they?

My mistake my brain cells are a bit forgetful they are actually Draw decal sheet

Looking good. How thick is the vacform material?

The thickness is normal Rareplanes kit but about 0.5-1mm thick

I like the idea of using CA to round the window edges, does it need refiling with a round file afterwards?

yes I use a rounded file to finish them off them paint over with some Mr surfacer 500 then sand this back and a final spray

How big is this in 72nd? Around about Hunter sized?

about the same size

Finished of scratch building and painting the interior detailing, using photos I have as a guide but with some artistic license for 1/72 scale, tried to emulate the wooden cupboards as much as I could, but anyway these are the photos before closing up the 2 halves, I have also added some nose weight to stop it being a tail sitter.

As I have to make a master for the clear cockpit I have left out the pilots seats and control column until last

DSC_0013_055_zps578896a3.jpg

DSC_0011_053_zpse6725f06.jpg

DSC_0007_049_zps013fdaad.jpg

DSC_0005_047_zpsf2d1b644.jpg

DSC_0009_051_zps489623e3.jpg

• Like 1

I like that wood look

A really nice interior to close up

(OK who's jealous huh?)

Me, if I ever build another Shorts (V. unlikely) it is going to be the lovely civil interior at last

This seating looks great, it just looks so nice

I love this interior Kev, proper job and is simply smashing

b

I like that wood look

A really nice interior to close up

(OK who's jealous huh?)

Me, if I ever build another Shorts (V. unlikely) it is going to be the lovely civil interior at last

This seating looks great, it just looks so nice

I love this interior Kev, proper job and is simply smashing

b

Cheers Perdu, you'll make me blush, I think if I put more effort into it I could make a better job of the wood but I don't want this build to linger anymore than what it should, as my main aim is to get back to the Vanguard, but saying that I still adding as much detail to this as I can

Main body is now buttoned up and the seams sanded smooth, I have also made the Engine mounts to both sides and attached the lower vertical fin. Some lumps and bumps have been added to the top in various locations using photos as a guide, I have also completed the rear vertical tail flap

Next stage is the wings

learjetbody_zps6fe97839.jpg

verticalflap_zpsa397c72c.jpg

Very nice work :) An alternative to accomplish the wood look could have been some of those hyper-realistic wood decals that are available these days :coolio:

Had looked into it as I looked at the Pegasus range but felt it would be best to paint the effect as it is very small surface area and there are small cabinets and draws which decal would not conform well to

• Like 1

Wings are now 95% complete only need to add the small hinges where the flaps are, which I have cut out and will position these flaps at a slight angle to the wing, I also need to add 3 lines of dimples on each wing which is quite evident on these planes I don't know what they are, but may be vortex generators, I will use stretched sprue for these and using a template cut out the spacing required, I have also added the lights that are at the end of the fuel tanks, looking at photos one is clear and the other is slightly blue/green colour, this was done by the usual method of clear plastic superglued on and filed and sanded to shape with a finer polish at the end

IMG_0387_041_zps76c8b305.jpg

This shows the light at the end of the fuel tanks, not the best photos I know but taken with my iphone

IMG_0388_042_zpsbd7fe671.jpg

This link shows slightly the 3 lines on the wings, in my opinion the photo also shows the sleekness of the aircraft

http://www.airliners.net/photo/USA---Air/Gates-Learjet-C-21A/2067564/L/&sid=8f855e8250c1b924c44f57a00035b931