Airways 1/72 VC10 and BAC 1-11 vacform kits

Nick Belbin

I've recently aquired the above. I'm not heavily into civil aircraft but do appreciate the VC10 (as do many others judging by the recent discussion) and thought it'd be nice to keep the kits together.

I've only done a quick google and not a lot turns up. I do see that they are about ten years old - the yellowed canopies are testament to that! - but are they good kits? Would I be wasting my time (I have no knowledge of these aircraft and would have to do a ton of research) doing these myself? There are no decals either so some replacements would need to be sourced.

Any answers/help/guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Nick

The Airwaves VC-10 is absolutely dreadful so should be put in a box and sent to me!!. In all seriousness, the only accounts I could find sang its praises, alhough concede that it is not perfect. Only wish I could track down the masters.

Do post your progress.

Kirk

Thanks NZKIWI,

A little futher research says that 'the BAC 1-11 is noticeably better than the Aircraft in Miniature kit'. Is the overweight fuselage a difficult fix?

That's the second suggestion I've had now, Kirk!

Nick

• 6 years later...

I know this thread goes back a good few years now but I really fancy knocking up a 1:72 scale Courtline multicoloured extravaganza BAC1-11 series 500! Does anyone know if they've got the odd Formaplane/AIM/ etc, etc kit tucked away somewhere for a price OR if another company has got the moulds and are producing this beautiful little airliner?!

Any help or guidance would be very gratefully received!

Thanks,

Mike 

15 hours ago, Fazzman said:

I know this thread goes back a good few years now but I really fancy knocking up a 1:72 scale Courtline multicoloured extravaganza BAC1-11 series 500! Does anyone know if they've got the odd Formaplane/AIM/ etc, etc kit tucked away somewhere for a price OR if another company has got the moulds and are producing this beautiful little airliner?!

Any help or guidance would be very gratefully received!

Thanks,

Mike 

I would hold fire, Welsh Models have in their release schedules a BAC 1-11 200 and 500, in glorious 1/72.

Tommo.

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid

Many thanks Tomahawk Kid & Davepb for your very swift input there. Actually, now seeing the CV 'perfect' AM & WM 1/72 kits coming along (thanks) and thinking about it, would you believe that I think I'd still prefer a bit of old-fashioned kit-bashing on the old vacform version (if I can only get hold of one!)! After all, I REALLY DO like to scratch build! Are you two chaps sure you haven't got one stuffed away under your work benches?! 

• Like 1

I spoke far too soon! After further hours spent serving, I've just come across a review on Airlinercafe that really did pull the Formerplane kit apart limb-from-limb. So, backpedalling heavily, you chaps are of course totally right and I will await the Welsh Models kit or, failing that, purchase the Authentic Airliners effort... I bow to your knowledge! My hopes and dreams dashed in a second! Thanks bigtime for your time and help. I'll just put my saw and craftknife away...

I may have an Airways Vacform kit at home. I´ll check when I get home next week. From what I remember it matched the Authentic Airliner´s fuselage pretty closely, but a fraction of the weight!!!

Dave

Hi Dave, many thanks for your kind reply. I'd be well chuffed if you did have one! Apologies to you and 'Tommo' for any late responses from me. I've just found a load of emails automatically sent into my spam folder, dammit!

The Airways VC10, is pretty good as the fuselage and wingspan is about right, the biggest problem is the step underneath the fuselage where the wings join as there is none, and a certain amount of milliput is required, also the vertical tail at the front is to fat, there other things, but to be fair it looks like a VC10 once built

Hi Dave, many thanks for your kind reply. I'd be well chuffed if you did have one! Apologies to you and 'Tommo' for any late responses from me. I've just found a load of emails automatically sent into my spam folder, dammit!

Oops! Bit trigger happy there. Sorry for the repeated message.

I meant to say that I could imagine that a VC10 in that scale must be a fair beast, but what a beautiful aircraft! Bet it took a few bottles of adhesive to put that lot together though. If I manage to get a 1-11, I'm aiming to build a fair bit of detail into it as I just love opening panels and exposing heaps of pipework, frames and ribs, even on civvy airliners. 

2 hours ago, Fazzman said:

Oops! Bit trigger happy there. Sorry for the repeated message.

I meant to say that I could imagine that a VC10 in that scale must be a fair beast, but what a beautiful aircraft! Bet it took a few bottles of adhesive to put that lot together though. If I manage to get a 1-11, I'm aiming to build a fair bit of detail into it as I just love opening panels and exposing heaps of pipework, frames and ribs, even on civvy airliners. 

Try going to this link to see what can be achieved>

And even better is this 

Well worth reading through!!!

Hi Re this kit , have seen this built and have to say it was superb every inch a VC 10 the guy who built it, did not report any serious problems with it , his only comment was the undercarriage as supplied was sh*t and he used  Heller 707 parts suitable modified

BUILD IT !  

Many thanks for your excellent ref content there davepb and for your input too, proplineruk. I'm still trying to find my way around this webpage, and keep finding me repeating myself! And though a 1:72 VC-10 sounds absolutely awesome, a 1:72 Courtline BAC 1-11 500 is going to be the one I want to build, even if it needs heaps of scratchbuilding! Fingers crossed that one comes up Dave! 

I'd like to put some pics and info up on subjects I've built in the past but unfortunately I'm trying to get over a broken spine from a few years back, meaning I can't get about too well. Hopefully you can all bear with me...

Here is the Welsh Models announcement:

"28th February 2019 - Customers are asking us what else is planned by us especially in 1:72nd scale, first off the blocks is a Viscount 800 series, shortly to be followed afterwards by a 700 series, both as possibly accurate as you can get from our extensive research and original manufacturers plans as ever. Following in the wings will be a BAC 1-11 in both 200 and 500 series, a HS748 and finally at the moment a HP Herald 200 series. The Viscount is planned to be all resin including a hollow fuselage as we are using the new resin which is more stable . It will have metal props and undercarriage. We anticipate the Viscount to be here mid 2019 if all goes to plan."

Tommo

• Like 1

According to this thread on Rumourmonger there is a 1/72 hollow pressure cast  resin VC-10 due in the not to distant future:

Other than the pics of other subjects in the thread, I have no idea about the quality of the kits.

Tommo.