41(R) TES Typhoon markings

Bomb'ed

Could those markings be any more dull?! Jeez, you'd think we could come up with something just a little more flamboyant for our jets - it's starting to feel as though in this era of low-viz, we now have the opportunity to simply apply them as an afterthought. When I remember the amazing squadron marking that we used to apply to our aircraft, these God-awful excuses for insignia make me weep...

Dreadful. :angrysoapbox.sml:

Spence

• Like 2

When I remember the amazing squadron marking that we used to apply to our aircraft, these God-awful excuses for insignia make me weep...

It's even worse with the Fleet Air Arm: the markings on Merlins for example are so small and toned-down that it's hard even to identify the airframe until you're about a foot away from it.

Could those markings be any more dull?! Jeez, you'd think we could come up with something just a little more flamboyant for our jets - it's starting to feel as though in this era of low-viz, we now have the opportunity to simply apply them as an afterthought. When I remember the amazing squadron marking that we used to apply to our aircraft, these God-awful excuses for insignia make me weep...

Dreadful. :angrysoapbox.sml:

Spence

All I now want in my wasted life is to see a RAF Typhoon with a big ol' sharkmouth.

Was just thinking the same thing! Have been keeping up with the RAF in terms of markings; Revell's making alot of money out of me! I like these markings the roundel stripes especially. I also keep hopingthe RAF will do what they did with phantoms and lightnings, with different coloured tails as standard! black, red, blue or white tails would be very cool...

Still, you never know!

Paul

Is that the first Typhoon sqn tail markings not within a shield? I like it personally, hope the markings are produced soon.

No.1435 Flight in the Falklands are not on shields.

But the jet would have looked better with a red and white strip across the top of the fin.

50 shade of grey is not a paint chart for modern fast jets!!!!

• Like 2

But the jet would have looked better with a red and white strip across the top of the fin.

But doesn't that imply greater stability in aircraft allocations than is the case nowadays? I had formed the impression (so may be worng) that nowadays squadron markings are either transfers on sticky-backed plastic or on removable panels so that aircraft can change or lose their identity quickly. The RAF can't afford the paint for anything more extravagant.

No.1435 Flight in the Falklands are not on shields.

50 shade of grey is not a paint chart for modern fast jets!!!!

It would look nice, but unfortunately you can't put a strip across the top of the fin, because the top of the fin and the leading edge have to remain unpainted.

But doesn't that imply greater stability in aircraft allocations than is the case nowadays? I had formed the impression (so may be worng) that nowadays squadron markings are either transfers on sticky-backed plastic or on removable panels so that aircraft can change or lose their identity quickly. The RAF can't afford the paint for anything more extravagant.

Correct. All the squadron markings and tail-codes are decals that can be removed (as they have been on most RAF aircraft for a number of years) to allow the aircraft to move between squadrons.

Cool!

Where will these be based? (Coningsby I hope)

I think this just hopped above the Canopeners for a candidate of what I will eventually build.

I have a mate whose dad was a Chief Tech with 41 sqdn when they were at Coningsby flying Phantoms. He took my mate and I along with him to work one day and let me clamber onto the port wing tank, along the intake and splitter and the into the cockpits. What a blast. 41sqdn has been one of my faves ever since.

Here here,.....my sentiments exactly! It is nice to see permanent squadron markings making a come back unlike the markings on replaceable panels seen on the Tornado and lamented Harrier fleets,...and that was if you were lucky and somebody had bothered to add them.

It would be nice to see coloured tails mind you,....even one per squadron like the US Navy CAG Birds.

Cheers

Tony O

Cool!

Where will these be based? (Coningsby I hope)

I think this just hopped above the Canopeners for a candidate of what I will eventually build.

I have a mate whose dad was a Chief Tech with 41 sqdn when they were at Coningsby flying Phantoms. He took my mate and I along with him to work one day and let me clamber onto the port wing tank, along the intake and splitter and the into the cockpits. What a blast. 41sqdn has been one of my faves ever since.

They are based at Coningsby. 41 was already established as the weapons trials unit flying Tornados and have simply taken on the added responsibility of weapons trials for the Typhoon fleet.

Regards,

John

• Like 1