Airfix Messerschmitt Bf109 E-4 1/72

After making my first model in 15 years, I have caught the bug again! (see my related post for my first Spitfire build)...

I always wanted to do an Me109, so I bought the new tool kit:

SAM_4935_zpsf65929c7.jpg

I wanted to improve on my Spitfire, and try new tips from various model forums. This time, I brush-painted with Humbrol Enamel paint. I also used the new Humbrol Clear varnish, applied after painting to help with decals, which were also applied using Humbrol DecalFix.

To finish off, I sprayed a light coat of Humbrol Acrylic Matt varnish from a spray-can, to take it back to a matt finish; I painted according to the given instructions, in the colours of Franz von Werra's machine from the Battle of Britain.

A few of the small parts were damaged trying to remove them from the sprue. One of the elevator supports snapped when trying to remove it from the sprue, so I had to do a fix, which worked fine. The aerial pole over the canopy also snapped, and is a bit crooked; and I didn't even attempt to fit the tiny fixings under the wings - these just disintigrated trying to get them off the sprue! I also left off some of the small stencil decals. As it is only 1/72 scale, I didn't want to make the finish too 'crowded'.

Anyway, my second model after gap of 15 years...here are the pics:

SAM_4913_zpsd17eae30.jpg

SAM_4915_zps599e4601.jpg

SAM_4917_zps772fc471.jpg

SAM_4919_zpsb4b9bcca.jpg

SAM_4927_zps4ceff200.jpg

SAM_4934_zps325688a6.jpg

SAM_4956_zps9db3f7ab.jpg

SAM_4961_zps19ecebbe.jpg

SAM_4957_zps6639d79c.jpg

SAM_4965_zpsa34af89a.jpg

SAM_4964_zpseca491af.jpg

SAM_4962_zps0c37ace6.jpg

SAM_4966_zps3e662e3d.jpg

SAM_4969_zpsf6022001.jpg

And here it is together with my first build, the Spitfire Mk1a...once enemies in the Battle of Britain

SAM_4970_zps658288a0.jpg

Edited by Phil1503
  • Like 2

You've done a great job on one of my favourite types. I haven't made the Airfix 1/72 kit but I've heard the sprue gates are a bit big, other than that it looks like a nice kit.

What's next?

Duncan B

Hi Duncan,

Yeah, I did find the sprue gates were a bit too big. I damaged a lot of small parts...the joystick, the aerials, the elevator supports etc. I also had to remove the locator pins on the wing parts, to ensure a good fit and a smooth leading edge,

I have a bit of a stash of kits now...I am mainly interested in classic British aircraft. Next up is a Jaguar, in 1/72 from Italeri.

I will make a start this weekend, and I will do it as a 'work in progress' on the forum. I also have a Revell Hunter and the new Airfix Vampire to do as well in the coming weeks...

Hi Duncan,

Yeah, I did find the sprue gates were a bit too big. I damaged a lot of small parts...the joystick, the aerials, the elevator supports etc. I also had to remove the locator pins on the wing parts, to ensure a good fit and a smooth leading edge,

I have a bit of a stash of kits now...I am mainly interested in classic British aircraft. Next up is a Jaguar, in 1/72 from Italeri.

I will make a start this weekend, and I will do it as a 'work in progress' on the forum. I also have a Revell Hunter and the new Airfix Vampire to do as well in the coming weeks...

Some nice kits to look forward to.

Duncan B

:goodjob: Very nice! I got one of these to build myself, looking forward to it. You can see the improvement between this model and the Spitfire. Looking good, and looking forward to the seeing the Jag and the Hunter :)

Kind Regards,

Dazz

Nice job on both your builds Phil,a great time to return to the hobby with some great inexpensive airfix kits released and due to be

released.

Great looking job you've done there. I've got one to build soon and I'd be happy to get anywhere near the standard of yours. Well done