2 X 0 = ?

nick

8732413792_504e19b6e3_o.jpg

The sort of build I like but are the leading edge ribs on the starboard tailplane upside down of is it a trick of the light?

Hope its a trick and nothing more serious

Edited by Tony C

The sort of build I like but are the leading edge ribs on the starboard tailplane upside down of is it a trick of the light?

Hope its a trick and nothing more serious

Tony, I think it's because of the angle, the front of the ribs are 90 degrees to the spar, ie bent slightly. It's physically not possible for them to be inverted as they are keyed into the spar. You can see what I mean from the drawing below:-

8732789692_f132e55f0f_o.jpg

Nick

Cracking on now, one wing box almost completed

8732480913_25fdd20bbc_o.jpg

8732482141_439a388847_o.jpg

8732483027_a9aba77a11_o.jpg

Starting to look like an aircraft even!

8732484003_da6a9ef0fe_o.jpg

Nick

• Like 1

In with a chance of completing zero #1 in the next couple of weeks at this rate, then for the next one. (:

Nick

Tony, I think it's because of the angle, the front of the ribs are 90 degrees to the spar, ie bent slightly. It's physically not possible for them to be inverted as they are keyed into the spar.

Nick

Ahhh, now that my eyes have focused, I see what you mean.

Thankfully not a mistake, just a Magic Eye picture :blink2:

Nick you say this kit falls together but how much clean up are you having to do with the etch, as your skill at putting this together is amazing, I mean not a blob of glue in sight and all perfectly cleaned up

Nick you say this kit falls together but how much clean up are you having to do with the etch, as your skill at putting this together is amazing, I mean not a blob of glue in sight and all perfectly cleaned up

It's just technique really, ultra thin CA, fuse wire wrapped round a cocktail stick and capillary action does the rest, no clean up required. If you are doing it right it is actually invisible, you just have to trust that the adhesive has been drawn into the join. It always has, it's just a question of trusting something you can't see until you get used to it.

Nick

Still plugging away, ailerons, flaps (not fitted yet) wing tips, wheel bays, prop and spinner mocked up as well as wheels.

8738673369_11cc6e75d2_o.jpg

8738672691_3eb673e54d_o.jpg

Nick

• Like 1

It's just technique really, ultra thin CA, fuse wire wrapped round a cocktail stick and capillary action does the rest, no clean up required. If you are doing it right it is actually invisible, you just have to trust that the adhesive has been drawn into the join. It always has, it's just a question of trusting something you can't see until you get used to it.

Nick

Nick, I meant the clean up of the etch parts, burrs etc, sorry for the confusion

Nick, I meant the clean up of the etch parts, burrs etc, sorry for the confusion

oh OK. I separate PE with a knife angled inward so the clean-up is only a swipe with an emery board, I guess I've just handled a bloody lot of the stuff and found a way of minimising these jobs. The white metal does need a little attention although in fairness to Hiro, the castings are very clean really compared to some I have seen.

Nick

• Like 1

Idle question - how much does it weigh?

Trevor

Hi Trevor, I haven't weighted it, but too much to ever fly that's for sure! Probably a couple of pounds at least, it's a fair old lump..

Nick

Hi Trevor, I haven't weighted it, but too much to ever fly that's for sure! Probably a couple of pounds at least, it's a fair old lump..

Nick

You got me intrigued. I was out some what, it actually weights around 300gms it turns out.

Nick

I don't suppose there's an after-market set that contains all the sheets of metal to cover it?

As it happens there was, it was called 'plank set', sadly unobtainable now, so not a decision I need to agonise over.

Nick