2 X 0 = ?

nick

Well, spring has sprung, the grass has ris enough to be mowed, so must be time for a very silly modelling project.

So check this puppy out, the venerable Tamiya 1/32nd Zero!

8658575764_d791337cac_b.jpg

Impressive eh? no? OK then..

8658576834_d9419702f0_b.jpg

There's another box INSIDE the box! wow. Still not impressed? OK..

8658577896_2093434423_b.jpg

There's some resin and tin bits as well!

OK, I'm not impressed either. That's because this is the impressive bit. This is the other Zero.

8658579042_34c425eec8_b.jpg

Now you're impressed aren't you?

No you're not because you don't know what's inside the box.

It's this.

8658581050_609b7da306_b.jpg

8657475697_4e02d5b4cb_b.jpg

8658582744_512158d3aa_b.jpg

8657477247_878966a8db_b.jpg

8658584358_276c243861_b.jpg

8658585132_b3e3946517_b.jpg

Basically it's all the pieces of metal you need to make a very small real aeroplane.

Why two kits you say?

Watch.

Nick

• Like 6

And we're off. I've been a busy boy today.

These are uncharted waters so I'm making this up as I go along.

Think of nice sailing ship models you've seen where the builder has left walnut and brass unpainted to show the richness of the materials.

Hold that thought:-

8661254898_d125150082_b.jpg

8660154663_aeff69ff3b_b.jpg

8660157683_2f8c6d1384_b.jpg

8660158195_b8cb9c3002_b.jpg

There's no paint here, I've used a few washes and pigments and lots of buffing.

I have detailing to do next, I've got some PE baffles and all the ignition wiring plus the ancillaries and supercharger.

I just love this kit, it's absolutely amazing.

Stay tuned for the next exciting instalment!

Nick

.... are all the bits supplied with the kit for that, or did you have to scratch some

Mostly in the kit - some Eduard PE and some scratch building, all the wiring is scratch built, the baffles are Eduard, the exhausts are thinned to within an inch of their lives.

Nick

Amazing!!! and expensive:

http://www.hlj.com/product/IMCZ-001

Juan

Well, it's all relative. you are the wrong side of £100 for a Tamiya 1/32nd aircraft, another £100 for aftermarket stuff. I would suggest this is a once in a lifetime kind of kit (Dan's words). The detail and fit is meticulous, it's all metal, there is no plastic at all, so when you look at it like that.

Plus it's rare, you'll notice HLJ is now saying discontinued, I got the last one, so after agonising for ages, I actually got the timing right for once and decided I wanted one just before they sold out rather than the usual just after.

Nick

Good for you - there's nothing worse than dithering and then regretting it after the kit's gone! It is less expensive than I thought but them I'm one of those that buys Tamiya Spits, including aftermarket, on the right side of £100!

Have to say when I saw the your finished exhaust pipes that they didn't look the same as supplied - I was looking for some thin-wall pipe in the components.

Presumably you are going to use some of the Tamiya Zero to supplement the model? A half cutaway or something . . ?

Nick

Presumably you are going to use some of the Tamiya Zero to supplement the model? A half cutaway or something . . ?

Nick

Yes, something like that, but not that :) stay tuned!

If you can find them (I couldn't) moskit do beautiful thin walled exhausts for the zero, so I ended up having 'Dremel fun' instead.

Nick

Well, it's all relative. you are the wrong side of £100 for a Tamiya 1/32nd aircraft, another £100 for aftermarket stuff. I would suggest this is a once in a lifetime kind of kit (Dan's words). The detail and fit is meticulous, it's all metal, there is no plastic at all, so when you look at it like that.

You've also got to factor in the amount of time it's gonna take to build....

Circa £200 for an all metal kit with that amount of detail + (let's just say) two or three months worth of hobby entertainment (probably longer)...

Engine looks superb by the way. :thumbsup: