Airfix Spitfire Mk1a 1/72

I've recently decided to start modelling again, after a gap of about 15 years since my last models as a teenager...

I went to my local hobby shops, and decided to try an Airfix Spitfire; I bought the starter set, a new tool kit with the small pots of acrylic paint, a brush and cement:

airf42223169-01_a_zps9284acac.jpg

I wanted to practice, and try some of the tips I had read on various model forums. So I completed it with the supplied acrylic paint, and I bought a few more pots of Humbrol Acrylic paint, such as yellow, silver, gunmetal and Cockpit Green, to make the end result more interesting. I also bought a range of brushes to make detailed work and larger surfaces easier to paint.

I also bought some Tamiya masking tape, and used it for the canopy, the line between the blue underside and green/brown camoflage and also for the blue fuselage band (there is a decal supplied for this, but I decided to paint it).

I also bought a tube of Humbrol Model Filler, which was applied to the wing roots, and places along the fuselage seam.

So, I am fairly pleased with the end result; brush painted using the supplied pots of acrylic...not too bad for my first model in 15 years! I put the decals straight onto the painted surface, so there was a bit of silvering. Lots to improve and try for my next build.

Here are the pics, enjoy!

SAM_4774_zpse98b10ca.jpg

SAM_4781_zpsd67a57d4.jpg

SAM_4789_zps943ba1af.jpg

SAM_4940_zpsa2865c7e.jpg

SAM_4942_zps7794a3a7.jpg

SAM_4946_zpsdfab2cca.jpg

SAM_4948_zpsbe62bcde.jpg

SAM_4950_zpsc4ef11f1.jpg

SAM_4968_zpsb38c2a05.jpg

Edited by Phil1503
  • Like 3

Great looking Spit :) It's a cracking starter kit, and you've definately done it justice.

I did the same as you last year, with the same kit. I found to my dismay that the acrylic paint was too think out of the tub. I've found a superior finish can be found by first priming the model (Halfors primer in a can is cheap and good enough), flat it back with some fine 'wet&dry', then water down the paint before you apply it. A few light, watered down coats gives a much better finish.

Yes, great result for a 'welcome back' build. And hello, and welcome to the forum.

As the previous poster says, thinning the paint with water and making up the colour layer with extra coats will definitely help your brushwork. And try a spot of artists acrylic flow agent / retarder (ask at any high street art shop).

Glossing up for the decals before a final flat coat will kill the silvering. Actually I think you have done remarkably well with the decals considering they are over a flat paint - that's a lot less silvering that you might have suffered.

No nit-picking intended though - for something built using only what's in the box, that's a really nice model.

Edited by Work In Progress