Douglas Skyknight

Hi all,

Thought I`d take the chance to show you my build of Czech Models 1/48 Skyknight, which I had to build as I never thought I`d see one injection moulded in `48th.

603qwsn.jpg

Done as a US Marines Ef-10b ECM aircraft

JTCURu1.jpg

Based at Da Nang, South Vietnam around 1965

lThuqqd.jpg

built virtually out of the box, only additions being

WM6KyvF.jpg

Home made windscreen wiper, seat belts, and brake pipes if I remember correctly

nUAQlvc.jpg

Hope you enjoy looking at, Russ

• Like 7

Very nice!

BTW: Has anyone reliable information as to when the skyknight cockpit colours were changed from interior green to grey??? I read somewhere some time ago that some (or all???) Skyknights were updated at some time to grey cockpits. But I do not know if this happened with USAF or with NAVY, Marines or all maschines. I like to build a China Lake version (white and day glow) but just cannot decide if green or grey is correct. Usually the easy way to find out is to decide for one and as soon as everythinhg is closed up and finished I realize that I was wrong...

• Like 1

Excellent job on this extremely difficult model.

You are a real master modeler.

Regards,

Dirk

The Netherlands

• Like 1

Cool build Rus - she looks great. I've heard its a pig of a kit? But as its the only pig in town...looks like you won the pig grooming contest. :)

Nice finish too - grubby enough but not overdone.

Like one of the above posters, its on my list to buy when I find one, ( you realise of course that Kittyhawk will release one as soon as I do)

Cheers

Jonners

• Like 2

Like one of the above posters, its on my list to buy when I find one, ( you realise of course that Kittyhawk will release one as soon as I do)

So what are you waiting for? It's quite obviously your duty to the modelling public!

Nice build of a difficult kit

That one definitely is not one for the shake and bake brigade of whiners ! it is for actual modellers and you have done a very fine job in my humble opinion

Cheers

• Like 1

Russ, this is a really outstanding build of the Douglas night fighter ! An impressive presence in 1/48 scale, too.

I really like the weathering and finish on this one.

I have an un-built Matchbox 1/72 Skyknight from many years ago that I recently started. Unfortunately, I discovered it had been packaged missing a number of parts including the bottom surfaces for the wings. So, I am in the midst of having to plan something new for this kit !

Mike

• Like 1

Very nice!

BTW: Has anyone reliable information as to when the skyknight cockpit colours were changed from interior green to grey??? I read somewhere some time ago that some (or all???) Skyknights were updated at some time to grey cockpits. But I do not know if this happened with USAF or with NAVY, Marines or all maschines. I like to build a China Lake version (white and day glow) but just cannot decide if green or grey is correct. Usually the easy way to find out is to decide for one and as soon as everythinhg is closed up and finished I realize that I was wrong...

My rule-of-thumb (based on nothing in particular) is to do a grey cockpit on gull grey/white machines, and a green cockpit on the overall glossy sea blue birds. I know this is not always true, but it at least gives me a rule to use if I can't find any documentation.

Also, the USAF never operated the F3D Skyknight. Maybe you're thinking of the A3D Skywarrior, which after considerable modification, was flown by the USAF as the B-66 Destroyer?

Cheers,

Bill

My rule-of-thumb (based on nothing in particular) is to do a grey cockpit on gull grey/white machines, and a green cockpit on the overall glossy sea blue birds. I know this is not always true, but it at least gives me a rule to use if I can't find any documentation.

Also, the USAF never operated the F3D Skyknight. Maybe you're thinking of the A3D Skywarrior, which after considerable modification, was flown by the USAF as the B-66 Destroyer?

Cheers,

Bill

What's the likelihood of sea blue Skyknights having green cockpits with black walls above the side consoles?

Joseph