Revell 1/144 F-15B ACTIVE S/MTD (2D Nozzles)

Hello everyone,

This was my "quick" (read long term) project for the F-15 STGB.

Hope you like :)

F-15 B ACTIVE S/MTD (2D Nozzles)

Kit : Revell F-15E Strike Eagle
Scale : 1:144
Decals : Some kit ones, Dragon F-15/F-5 Aggressor and home made.
Paints : Tamiya, Humbrol, and Vallejo
Extras : Retrowings F-15E Strike Eagle Cockpit set and F-18 Control surfaces set, Monokio Ladders, cake wires, and lots of plasticard. :P
Build Thread : Clicky Linky Herey

img1039tb.jpg

img1037n.jpg

img1036kq.jpg

img1038lg.jpg

Kind Regards

Dazz

• Like 2

Thank you all for your kind words :) seriously tho, I would take any tips on improving my models. I know I cocked up the red paint. :(

Seth, the nozzles where a pain, think I remade them about 4 times. They turned out alright tho, the filler was the worse part believe it or not!!

Kind Regards

Dazz

I wouldn't worry so much about the paint cock ups. Yes, the red could be better, but you still learned a lot on this project and the results look great. Where did you get the decals for it BTW? Only other thing I could see to improve slightly would be to give the gear struts a very light wash of thinned smoke tint to help pick out their details, since in this scale the struts are so tiny.

As for improving the red, investing in an airbrush is about the best one can do since red is such a tough color to get even with on brush painting unless somebody is VERY good at it. Another thing that can work if you need lines is to spray red over a sheet of clear decal film and seal it with a lacquer gloss coat. If you are trying to match a template, you can print the template on the back side of the decal sheet and use a straight edge and a hobby knife with a fresh blade to cut the red stripes out. That way, you can apply your red stripes as a decal and any areas that need touchups, brush paint them. If the paints match exactly (making sure the spray and brush versions of the paint are the same shade)... good on ya.

• Like 1

Beautiful work

Thank you very muchly :)

wow that's tiny!!! great work!

It is a cute little thing, only scale SWMBO will let me build :P Thank you for the kind words.

I wouldn't worry so much about the paint cock ups. Yes, the red could be better, but you still learned a lot on this project and the results look great. Where did you get the decals for it BTW? Only other thing I could see to improve slightly would be to give the gear struts a very light wash of thinned smoke tint to help pick out their details, since in this scale the struts are so tiny.

As for improving the red, investing in an airbrush is about the best one can do since red is such a tough color to get even with on brush painting unless somebody is VERY good at it. Another thing that can work if you need lines is to spray red over a sheet of clear decal film and seal it with a lacquer gloss coat. If you are trying to match a template, you can print the template on the back side of the decal sheet and use a straight edge and a hobby knife with a fresh blade to cut the red stripes out. That way, you can apply your red stripes as a decal and any areas that need touchups, brush paint them. If the paints match exactly (making sure the spray and brush versions of the paint are the same shade)... good on ya.

Thank you for the reply, JMChladek. First of all the decals where a mixture of the Revell F-15E's (all of the black "No Step" ones where cut out from the tiger stripes, I had 3 sheets). Some where from a Dragon F-15A ASAT model that I'm yet to finish, the "U.S. AIR FORCE" one is from an Dragon F-5 Aggressor kit. The squadron badges on the intake, the "837", "AF71290", and the "ACTIVE" badge where home made and printed off myself. They are not up to Cartograf's standards yet, but they'll do. ;)

I did actually use an airbrush for the red, but I think I had the nozzle too close to the model and it made the darker patches. I learned my lesson with the blue which came out far better. Next time I will just have to be more careful with it. I've just purchased some Promodellers/Flory Models wash for the panels and waiting for that to turn up, would that be as good as the smoke do you think? But I like the decal idea... might be an idea in the future. :) Thank you for the help, very appreciated. :)

Kind Regards,

Dazz

I think the Flory models wash would probably be fine. The primary reason I like using Tamiya Smoke is because it is pigment without opaquing agents. So it is always transparent and the base color shows through. I've never used the Flory wash before so I don't know what its exact characteristics are. But, I've heard good things about it and if it can flow into those gear struts nice, so much the better (I tend not to like accenting panel lines all that much UNLESS I can keep things very subtle so it doesn't end up looking like an anime subject).