1/32 Academy Block 42 F-16C Arctic Aggressor.

This was my 1st completed build of 2013, what a great kit, the finish was a challenge but it was good practice for my upcoming 1/32 Academy F-16I SUFA.

1/32 Academy Block 42 F-16C Arctic Aggressor.

After seeing the Tamiya version of this in 1/48 I knew I would really like to do the same on a larger scale. This however would not turn out to be as straight forward as I thought, surprise surprise.

1st of all the admissions that should save any holes being blown in her.

The 1st obstacle was the choice of kit, I did some research on F-16.net and found that the Tamiya 1/32 F-16 Thunderbirds would be the base frame for a Block 30/32. Small problem there in the fact that I was not prepared to expend £140+ for a kit, especially when you consider that for less money you can get the 1/32 CJ with all the trimmings. It is allot of money just to get the lightweight landing gear used on earlier versions.
Fortunately after a bit of research and advice on F-16.net I found that the 64th had used the Block 42 airframe on some of their Aggressor Aircraft, this was great as it meant I could use the 1/32 Academy F-16CG/CJ Block 40/42 I had on the shelf.
Now for sourcing the Afterburner decals for the 64th, I thought this would be the easy bit but there were out of production and as rare as hens teeth. Thankfully I found a guy in Norway ( Thankyou Niels) who only used the 1/48 decals and was prepared to part with the remaining 1/32 sets.
You would think it would be problem solved but alas there was one last hitch.
From what I could see the 64th never painted up there Block 42 aircraft in the Arctic scheme, most of the other Aggressor schemes yes but not the Arctic.

Enough was enough, I would build her as it is right or wrong.

Additional parts used, Aires Cockpit, Undercarriage set and AN/ALQ-188 EAT Pod, Wheeliant Wheels, Crossdelta Stiffeners, Two Mikes ACMI Pod set,
Two Bobs CAT-AIM9 and ACMI Pod decals, Afterburner Decals.

I hope you all like.

(No light tent I am afraid, just a sheet and some silver foil in front of the flash)

Danny

102_4174.jpg

The white camouflage was done with a base shade of Tamiya XF-55 Deck Tan over pre shading, the deck tan gave a nice off white base, from there I filled the panels in with a flat white filter. The Black area where base coated with flat black and then a filler of Nato Black applied to the panels. Final finishing was with a grey wash.
102_4176.jpg102_4181.jpg102_4167.jpg

102_4137.jpg

102_4157-1.jpg

102_4155-1.jpg

102_3949.jpg

Edited by danimalmagic
  • Like 19

Danny,

Hello .

:welcome: to the BM.

What a BRILLIANT , AWESOME. .F-16.

The Arctic Aggressor scheme is just AMAZING...

FLAWLESS, NEATLY painted..

EXQUISITE...the other in the display cabinet are INCREDIBLE to look at too. :wow:

:worthy::worthy:

LOVE IT!!

:heart::heart:

That is absolutely beautiful. Very nice, and very jealous

I remember that someone called this the "Battling Bovine" scheme. I think that it is my favorite.

Congratulations on an excellent build and thanks for sharing your techniques. I for one would have enjoyed seeing a WIP.

I remember that someone called this the "Battling Bovine" scheme. I think that it is my favorite.

Congratulations on an excellent build and thanks for sharing your techniques. I for one would have enjoyed seeing a WIP.

Thanks, it was a challenge

Danny