1/48 Testors Lockheed A-12 Oxcart Conversion

This posting brings me up to date, i did it directly after the YF-12A, it was finished last week.

Well after just over two weeks pretty solid work she is now done, got to say I am happy with the result. Model is sprayed with Tamiya acrylics the same as the YF-12A.
I have another one on the shelf but that will be built as the standard SR-71, I do not think I have it in me to build 3 on trot, another year I think :-) There have been some real challenges along the way especially with the assembly and finish of the resin, but I cannot grumble about that, patience, hot water and plenty of Tea.
Model is depicted as an early A-12, very few decals, no national insignia, just a few pilot extraction decals around the canopy and that is it. I have included some example images.

Testors 1/48 SR-71 Kit.
Kiwi Resin A-12 Conversion
True details cockpit and seat, modified cockpit panel to suit the A-12
True Details Wheels.
Spare Afterburner Decals from the YF-12A

All finished with Tamiya Metallic Acrylics.

Nothing left other than a few pictures.

Regards
Danny Attree
102_4544.jpg102_4545.jpg102_4546.jpg102_4551.jpg102_4552.jpg102_4559.jpg
With the YF-12A, Please see the following link. http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234938130-1st-post-testors-148-yf-12a/
102_4565.jpg
8452902168_601fb39e07_z.jpg
a12_40-2.jpg
A12Cygnus-1.jpg

Edited by danimalmagic
  • Like 7

Fascinating build. I watched a documentary on this aircraft (part of a show on the black operations at Area 53) while on a flight from Australia to USA last Nov.

The nose is slimmer and more of a sharper point, the cameras are in the Q bay behind the pilot, this is the navigtor position on the SR-71. I cut 2 new camera windows in the underside to represent this, i got some good information on this from my downloaded CIA Flight Manual.
The re fuel point is in a different place and the cockpit exterior profile is a great deal different to the SR-71, the tail is also quite a bit shorter and a few other bits and pieces.

Thanks for the interest.

Danny

Edited by danimalmagic

The masking tape salesman must love you, what with this one and your YF-12. These are seriously lovely.

It was not that bad i kept re using bits, you will see them in the background in one of the pictures, the tape needed to be used a bit to stop it leaving any residue, found this out very early on, easily corrected. All new bits of tape where stuck to my workbench a few times to reduce the tackness.

Thanks for looking.

Danny

Scuse my ignorance, but are the rear wheels meant to be silver? Or have you just forgotten to paint them?

Other than that, it looks fantastic, very unique model indeed, and a great paint job.

Thats ok, the tyres are meant to be silver on the rear, they have to take extreme temperature and i believe have a 19 ply rating with aluminium oxide blended in to disperse the heat.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=sr-71+tyres&qs=n&form=QBIR&pq=sr-71+tyres&sc=1-11&sp=-1&sk=#view=detail&id=B47F64CB989225246C93592255C77B50A678F1C1&selectedIndex=1

http://www.arcair.com/awa01/101-200/awa126-SR-71/images%20Nick%20Kiriokos/Left%20main%20gear.jpg

I have alot more pictures but these but thet are not in Photobucket

• Like 2

Holy Blackbirds! that's one hell of a masking job, really stunning build of an oft-forgotten fore runner to the Blackbird,

Congratulations on a great build.

Suitably impressed.....

Col'

It was all well worth it, thanks for looking Col.

Danny