Airfix 180th scale HMS Victory sets from scalewarship

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Robin, that set looks good, did this ship many moons ago and allways wanted to have another go at it.

Looks like this might be a good time to get hold of an HMS Victory kit.

Well have the ship next week so now I am commited to having this Etch.

I have the Mems permission to lol :coolio::winkgrin:

Have registered with scalewarship, will keep an eye out for this add on.

Hi All

We have received the first Etch set back for a trial fitting. Here is a photo of the stern windows. The left hand one shows the etch fitted to the unpainted part while the right hand side shows the stern gallery painted. The side parts are shown in various stages of prep. We have a couple of small tweaks to make before the first production run.

it is our aim to make one kit in unpainted black plastic with all the new etch parts fitted to act as a comparison to the finished painted ship. As pictures become available I will post them here.

VictoryWindows.jpg

Best regards

John

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Folks

A couple of photos of the latest progress on the small Victory.

The deck fittings and ratlines have been left unpainted so that the contrast with the black plastic of the kit itself. Alan is also building another kit which he is painting.

VictoryRatlines.jpg

We will be finalising the corrections and amendments and additions this holiday weekend. Production run is imminent

VictoryRatlines2.jpg

best wishes

John

Edited by studiojohn
  • Like 1

Wow! I never thought I'd see the day that etched sets became available for sailing ships. I hope it sells well. Will be getting one myself in due course.

Will

Oh, and if they do well- any chance you could do the same for some other small-scale sailing ship kits like the Airfix Royal Sovereign/ HMS Prince or Zvezda/Revell 'Dom Fernando' etc. I find rigging ships anything smaller than 1/150 is impossible and etched ratlines would help no end!

Will

Hi Killingholme

We will be moving onto the Cutty Sark next (I have to mention the "Sark" is my personal all time favourite ship) but after that we will probably look into doing some specific ratlines as a number of people have expressed interest in the concept. The purists don't like it but at the smaller scales (130th to 180th) it seems to be an acceptable alternative to what is supplied (or not) in the kit and if it brings out the stashed kits and gets the build going it must be a good thing.

I will compile a list of all suitable ( and most requested kits) and try to work through them.

Hope this helps

best wishes

John

Hi Everybody

The day of reckoning is at hand. The test builds have been completed and the Final revisions to the Victory Fittings and Ratlines Etch sets have been despatched to production. We have also been busy preparing a few 3D printed items to complement the etch sets and these will sent off for printing tonight. they include the cross deck balustrades, kevels, cleats, hearts and blocks. If anyone has any specific request for a particular ship to be supplemented by etch and 3d bits please list them here and I will publish a complete list of the requests and our intentions.

Thanks to everyone who has been supportive of this leap of faith into the unknown

best wishes

John

Foxy

Yes the hearts and blocks will be in the 3D print resin, not casting resin. Funny you should mention the oars and seats for the boats, only yesterday I drew up the oars and was discussing with Alan about producing a new general purpose fret as these boats were quite widely used on other ships (I believe) but the "Sark" is next on the slipway.

Why is it everyone wants what you haven't yet done? I am sure there must be a Murphy's law equivalent for this! Perhaps I should name it "Scalewarship Syndrome"

regards

John

Hi John.

Well it was an idea on the boats and not a request.

This to give you an idea to produce maybe later for Victory and others.

As you say thease boats were used on many ships be fighting or otherwise.

I know its easy to make oars out of other materials, having used PE oars in some smaller builds it struck me as a good idea in this scale.

Great work you are doing, look forward to the PE frets for Victory when there out.

Cheers foxy.

Hi Foxy

The word is imminent. All the frets are with the etchers, just working on some instructions now. We hope to take delivery early next week of the frets. The 3D parts are also with the printers and expected next week. No idea how they will turn out but hope they will fit the bill. This is all we will be doing on the 180th Victory for a while and we will be turning to Cutty Sark next week. I haven't ordered many as I really don't know how they will be received but replacements should only take a few days if the orders roll in!! We have had a lot of requests to produce ratlines for other similar size sailing ships so if the Victory is well received I think we will heading in that direction.

They say that wanting is often better than having, I do hope they are wrong :yahoo:

All the best

John

Edited by studiojohn

Great news John.

Looking forward to getting the sets once the site lets me.

Got stopped at the postage stage on ordering.

Will try again Monday.

Pictures look good.

Cheers foxy. :coolio:

Foxy

Checked out the web shop and I have no idea why its stopping you. All the entries which govern the shipping etc are identical to all the stuff that is always being ordered. To coin a phrase I am completely foxed. No pun intended!

If you still can't complete the order when you try again please try to send me a screen dump direct to my website email address and I will try to figure it out.

regards

John

Hi John.

Well tried again this morning and all worked ok :winkgrin: .

Ordered ok.

Have the first lot of frets for the netting, so this lot will help also, great stuff. :thumbsup2:

Cheers foxy :coolio:

Well cannot fault the service for timeing.

Ordered Monday and it arrived Tuesday and I must say its a lovely set for the 1/180 Victory, even the skylights are included.

Well done Scalewarship. :winkgrin: .

Cheers foxy :coolio:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Everyone

We have received the first of the 3D parts which will enhance the 180th Victory. We have tried to introduce parts which are missing from the kit and which are listed as such in the Airfix Victory book. (Chapter 7 Modifications) and which can useful be made to a reasonable level of detail.

The first picture shows the Cross Deck rails and a few other other fitting such as the kevels, jeer blocks and hearts. We are still awaiting the last few items which will form the basis of this additional resin detail set. (Not relatively scaled!!)

Victory3DParts.jpg

The second picture shows these items on the black and brass ship which Alan is building and are painted in white for ease of identification.

VictoryCloseup.jpg

More to come later

best wishes

John

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Any news John on the other items, can these be purchased separate.

Jear blocks / hearts, plus the smaller blocks.

I feel that more will be needed for ship builders if contemplating useing these items.