Gday All

THought I might dive in at this late stage on a complete impulse after perusing my stash the other day, having been inspired by this GB. I have been neglecting my theme of RAAF a/c with recent builds, so thought "what the hell, lets have a go with the CA walrus, I mean, how hard can it be, what can possibly go wrong!!"

Anyway, to start off, the obligatory box and contents shots

DSCF1442_zps66d2af89.jpg

DSCF1445_zps4c3570ba.jpg

DSCF1444_zps46d59d64.jpg

DSCF1443_zps777e02e5.jpg

DSCF1446_zps8480058c.jpgDSCF1447_zps9219800a.jpg

I'm not a big one for WIP's as everyone gets to see your fails, but we'll see how we go. Stay tuned

Bruce

"I mean, how hard can it be, what can possibly go wrong"

If the internet is to be believed this kit can be a challenge. On the other hand there are also some photos of stunning models completed using this CA offering. I am sure yours will be stunning - I will definitely be watching.

Thanks Fellas, hope I dont let you down, got the wings together today and the rudder. I had forgotten how big the casting blocks are on CA kits, and how crude the moulding is, but, its the only game in town at the moment, well apart from the old Merit one, which I believe is worse.

Nice choice Bruce. I've always circled this kit warily, but with that feeling that one day I will have to get one just because it leaves too big a gap in the collection not to.

And as you say, I've heard that life is too short to go for the Merit kit.

Good luck, don't worry about cocking things up as you go along, we've all been there, although it won't stop us laughing with you.

• Like 1

Many Thanks Doug :winkgrin:

Got some subassemblies done in between work, house reno's and my sister in law and niece and nephew arriving for the week thereby ensuring I dont get any sleep during the day after night shifts!!, anyway, on with the build

Everything went together reasonably well, better than I expected actually, and the joins cleaned up quite nicely thanks to Tamiya thin glue and the soft plastic

Only blight so far has been the resin wheelwell inserts are a bit smaller than the wells in the wings thereby leaving a small step. I have reduced this slightly by scraping with a curved blade. I had the same problem with the gannet I did last year. I guess the other thing I could have done was make a collar of plastic card, may have a look at doing that yet

DSCF1452_zps464ab202.jpg

You can see an example of some of the moulding flaws on one of the wheels. Everything should clean up OK Im hoping. Floats,nacelle and wheels still need to be tidied up

Next update should be tackling the fuselage

Cheers

Bruce

Edited by pacificmustang

Sooty

Enough with the excuses !! we all have lives too !! is that all you have done sheesh !!

Onward man onward !!!

Otherwise you will not get the present i have for you

Carry on

Strangely Norm, I have found time in my busy schedule to visit Michael Unwin's winery tomorrow for tapas!!

This means the walrus will need to be discussed over a red at your place in the not too distant future

• 2 weeks later...

Drink and build at the same time. It steadies the hands and brings clarity of mind to the build. Really.

;-)

Plus if you drink enough you won't care what the model looks like. Flaws? What flaws!

Thats how I do all my modelling!!

anyway, I have not been idle. I did go over to Norman's with the intention of completing some sub section of the build, but all we got completed was a bottle of Heathcote Shiraz.

Highly recommended too, by the way.

Anyway undaunted I came home and did some work on the walrus. Unfortunately my pics of the interior were slightly blurry (shiraz perhaps?) but for anyone doing this build, I found it easier to glue the two resin bulkheads to the fuselage half rather than the floor. Apart from this, everything was as per the instructions, save for the navigators table which I forgot (you cant see it anyway

I also extended the rib and stringer detail forward to the bow as you will see it through the forward gun ring, and added eduard sutton harness to both seats. As you can not see the rear seat, I probably just wasted a set of belts!

so here she is with the fuselage halves joined

DSCF1460_zpse39132ab.jpg

the fuselage joined better than I expected, just needed some clamping at the bow, albeit still leaving me with a slight gap, which I have filled with a bit of plastic strip. I could not find what was fouling the fuselage from closing completely. Other than that I have drilled all the holes for the wing struts. I am hoping the CMK pegasus that I ordered from hannants turns up soon so that I can crack on with the nacelle. Actually, looking at the pic, I CAN see the belts, no table though!!

Bruce

• Like 1

Come on Hurry up Sooty........is that all you have done !!!?????????

I have two bottles of Heathcote Shiraz waiting for you if you finish her within 7 days

Cheers black ears !!!!

Norm

Keep up the ggod work. It will be rewarding in the end.

Remember that the engine was angled a few degrees to the starboard, I think it was.

I am in the final stages of finishing the SMER version of the kit, and even with all the scratchbuilding and corrections (I'm not a good scratchbuilder BTW) the completed model will be very impressive.

The Walrus was an amphibious biplane aircraft used throughout WW2, and after. Not many craft can top that.

Many downed airman were very relieved to see it slowly flying by and stopping to pick them up. An unsung hero for sure.

Oh, and designed by Reg Mitchell to boot!

Cheers.

Edited by Richard B.

Richard, well done on doing the SMER version, how have they tackled the nacelle?

After much gnashing of teeth, I got the nacelle on mine fitted.. Its taped down here whilst the glue dries on where the rear strut/nacelle join, but it lifts off as a separate sub assembly due to me drilling bits of brass rod into everything, only got 2 out of place!!!

I have also drilled and pinned the landing gear, as CA would have you just glue the chamfered tops of the struts to the side of the fuselage, I could see that would not last long, although CA plastic is soft and responds well to hot glues,to give a reasonable join as I found with the tailplanes

I am wondering whether to just butt join the wings or to insert spars for greater strength. It is testing me getting it all in alignment as the fuselage, as it comes OOB seems to have a twist in it

DSCF1471_zpscd88cc30.jpg

DSCF1472_zps41b53176.jpg

Bruce

Quite frankly i expected more progress at this point and am very disappointed,,,,,after all ....you only have work and painting your verandah deck to occupy your time, oh and taking orders from SWMBO, not like your busy or anything huh ???

Seriously nice going mate, looking shipshape and ready for wings !!! bring it over next week and we can discuss it over a glass

Cheers

Norm

:cheers:

:drink: