RAF Buccaneer 15 Sqn Laarbruch 1981

Here's the latest in my projects this year. I got this from a modelling mate for rather less than what they go for so I was pleased before I even got started. I managed to pick up the Neomega cockpit at SMW 2012 with a bit of future planning purchasing. This is my first ever 1/48 Bucc so I'd put a few hours in on others builds and how to build it easily which wasn't a problem at all. The only difference I did was the lugs that make up the intakes most people seem to cut them off and then cement to the whole kit, I applied the same theory as per the body and just glue (well MEK actually) in small steps and I got a great join which required no filler what so ever. The kit came together very well and there isn't much filler on the kit at all. I inserted plasticard at the forward most end of the fin where it is way thinner that the spine part that makes the join. Airwaves wing joins were used but I could find any for the airbrake so detailed it a bit with plasticard again and filled in the extra holes, using the Aeroguide as a guide!. I did put a pile of weight in the nose just to be on the safe side and the build came together. I've used an article in MAI about the build and thought I'd try the paints listed in there, but the green is wrong, so I when I sprayed it it was immediately obvious it must have been a typo, so the grey is Tamiya X-54 & the green is Xtracrylix RAF green. Decals on, most were the kit but some of them were way out of register so the spares box was raided. Thanks to Dr Evil for the XV decals :thumbsup: . All finished off with a dark wash for the panel lines as I didn't want to go to arty on it as they're just not like that, then finished off with Windsor & Newton Matt varnish. Once dry just the exhaust staining added then I added the wings, which the etch join wouldn't take the weight of the wings so I was forced into doing the stay bars, which once painted (in situ) I think I've got the center section a bit thick. Anyway one more to go then I can reveal my project finale.

SDC11276640x293_zps3d6f897d.jpgSDC11275499x640_zpsf7adc0ff.jpgSDC11274396x640_zps8090b8fe.jpgSDC11273640x405_zps7cd849a8.jpgSDC11272640x261_zpsbf8a4065.jpgSDC11271584x640_zpse3b0ddd6.jpgSDC11270640x316_zps1b02a8bc.jpg

Edited by speedy
  • Like 8

That looks very nice indeed and certainly looks the part- good job!

Cheers

Tony O

ps- I love the DMS boot scuff marks on top of the intakes, great stuff.

• Like 1

Ya know, i totally love the Bucc, and yours is a stunner. I mean an aircraft that size, doing silly MPH at lower than low level, does it get any better???

Great build.

Awesome Bucc!!!!!

My only observation is that, I think the overall finish on the real aircraft was satin and not matt.

Again fantastic work.

Cheers

Sernak

Hi Sernak...

When Buccaneers were delivered to the RAF ca 1969, they were painted in a glossy finish, from 1973 onwards they were re-painted in matt paint and markings were toned down. Now of course gloss paint can flatten down anyway with weathering and matt paints can and will have a sheen , especially when cleaned and polished, at certain altitude (or lack of altitude!!) and in certain lighting conditions. At any time slot then any Buccaneer could be very glossy or very matt or anywhere in between!! Speedy's Bucc is 100% correct in a matt finish though - that was the official designation of the day.....

• Like 1