Monogram F-111A 1/48

Adam Maas

This is Monogram's somewhat problematic kit of the F-111A. Monogram updated the poor Aurora kit as much as they could, but some of the fundamental shape issues of the Aurora kit require a new mold to resolve and so this is no competition for the title of 'Best F-111 Kit in 1/48'. But it should be a fun build. The boxing is the 1981 release, by way of my Dad's stash. He's been kind enough to gift me with a steady stream of kits he doesn't wish to build.

I won't be correcting any errors, just a fun OOB build.

8646152899_e1230d5367.jpg

Monogram General Dynamics F-111A 1/48 by mawz_models, on Flickr

Has to be one of the bravest builds on this Group Build! Are you going to use the kit decals ie the Nellis AFB based 'NA' code? Have had one of these for years, every time I look at that stepped upper and lower fuselage join by the cockpit I close the box and move on...

Michael

Has to be one of the bravest builds on this Group Build! Are you going to use the kit decals ie the Nellis AFB based 'NA' code? Have had one of these for years, every time I look at that stepped upper and lower fuselage join by the cockpit I close the box and move on...

Michael

I'm trying for an OOB build, depends on what condition the decals are in. My test fitting shows little problems at the cockpit, but I will be using some extra tabs to ensure fit.

• 2 weeks later...

This build sure brings back some memories ! I remember the excitement over the announcement of a new F-111 from monogram and the disappointment when modellers realised it was a modified aurora kit. Still, it was my first 1/48 monogram kit, will watch with interest what you do with it

• 1 month later...

And I'm filling seams. They're not as nasty as they look as I tend to slather the putty and then remove with acetone, but this is definitely in need of some putty. The nose joint of course was the major problem spot.

8926167795_977fdfb63f.jpg

8926167193_da3d7f91f5.jpg

I love the shiny olive drab plastic on this one :)

The filling is going well, you are making it look less scary than I had imagined it to be.

All said and done, it is a big hunk of plastic!

Michael

• 4 weeks later...

This will handily be the largest aircraft on my shelf, at least until I start on the 1/48 Lancaster that also originates from my Dad's stash, of course I'm also primarily a 1/72 builder so any large 1/48 jet will dominate my shelving.

After a little procrastination because cleaning up the seams at the tail was an involved job, I'm finally laying paint.

9176754875_9c438c438d.jpg

Monogram F-111A Aardvark 1/48 by mawz_models, on Flickr

Edited by Adam Maas

Hi Adam - as everyone else has said...brave man! I love Monogram kits - some require a lot of work (the Tomcat was the worst I've ever done, closely followed by the P-61) and that green plastic is a bugger, but they are an honest build and with some TLC can be a nice finish. Good work so far

• 2 weeks later...

And she's done. Looks like I missed the gallery deadline by a couple hours though :-(

9289425698_719e3a90ae.jpg

9289425266_41f748217b.jpg

9289424842_1f1cda5b8c.jpg

She's also a semi-tailsitter, fine when the wings are fully forward but tailsits at the angle I chose for the pylons. oops.