Supacat Jackal Airfix - Finished

Hi

I had intended to do a full Work in Progress for this kit, but got so carried away with it, that I forgot to take pictures!

Anyway, here is the current state of play:

DSC_5416_zps9118304d.jpg

DSC_5418_zps7d35e816.jpg

DSC_5419_zps1d946dd6.jpg

DSC_5420_zps7103c576.jpg

I sprayed the model with Alclad Black Primer, followed by Humbrol #237 acrylic. The seats and spare wheel cover were painted Tamiya Deck Tan.

The tyres are still in primer and require fixing to the hubs, the seats aren't fixed and in addition to the weapons, there's a myriad of small parts to paint and fix to finish the model. I will be adding some Tamiya jerry cans and personal kit to give it the desired in-service look.

I have really enjoyed this kit, as it is so well engineered. It is a shame that Airfix didn't make more of an effort with the tyres, because I can't justify the cost of the wonderful-looking resin ones!

• Like 1

Very nice. I saw this built on the Airfix stand at Cosford last week and thought, "Nice"!!!

Eduard and Airfix have got together and will soon be releasing PE for this and the Land Rovers. It's funny, the design of the Jackal reminds me of the vehicles in the Mad Max films.

Nige

Looking very nice so far

wonder whats the thinking behind having the crew totally exposed, and before some one answers so they can get a tan I know it's not that reason

Thanks for your comments, Colin. I still need to fit the doors to the cab I assume that they have some sort of ballistic protection.

Very nice. I saw this built on the Airfix stand at Cosford last week and thought, "Nice"!!!

Eduard and Airfix have got together and will soon be releasing PE for this and the Land Rovers. It's funny, the design of the Jackal reminds me of the vehicles in the Mad Max films.

Nige

Hi Nige. Thanks for your comments. I have already built the Land Rovers and thoroughly enjoyed them. If I had the space, I would build the Merlin as well! I think that the models would benefit from some detailing with PE, however some weathering and some after-market personal kit and jerry cans will add interest in the meantime!

In my opinion, the two main downsides to the kit are the inaccurate tyres and the moulded-on webbing straps aft of the cab doors.

Looking good. The open nature if the vehicle comes from its original design of being an all terrain vehicle with mine protection rather than surrounding armour for the crew(which would create weight and manoeuvre penalties). It was originally sourced under UOR (Urgent Operational Requirement) and has now started filling the FSG mobility gap over the WMIK LR's.

Look forward to seeing more of this!

Looking good. The open nature if the vehicle comes from its original design of being an all terrain vehicle with mine protection rather than surrounding armour for the crew(which would create weight and manoeuvre penalties). It was originally sourced under UOR (Urgent Operational Requirement) and has now started filling the FSG mobility gap over the WMIK LR's.

Look forward to seeing more of this!

Thanks for the insight, Parabat - I was hoping that you would drop by! :thumbsup:

No probs, always good to see your builds as they evolve and the great presentation.

Back to the real world - the Jackal and WMIK vehicles should always be regarded as ARMED vehicles, rather than ARMOURED, and though a weapons platform, it's duty is to deliver a fighting force (eg FSG) rather than be a fighting platform.

Thanks Parabat. I have just applied a thin Raw Umber wash to highlight the fine detail. The next step will be a liberal dusting of desert sand pigment.

The finishing touches will comprise of personal kit and some tow strops front and rear. I am toying with the idea of re-positioning the rear-view mirrors and covering them with fabric like some pictures I've seen of some RAF Regiment vehicles in theatre.

I'm calling it finished!

Great kit by Airfix personalised with items from the Tamiya Jerry Can set.

I found some towing eyes in the spares box and added tow strops front and rear, webbing to tie down the kit and mud flaps from Tamiya tape.

I highlighted the grilles on the near side with Mig Black Smoke (thanks Sean!) and added the antennae from stretched sprue, although I'm not happy with them and plan to re-do them.

More pictures to follow later in RFI.

Thanks for looking.

DSC_5445_zpse247a91e.jpg

• Like 1