White metal kit information

D1fuN0

Good morning chaps.

Does anyone have any information on the following two manufacturers that produced white metal motorcycle kits:

Finecast

Classic model motorcycles.

They both apparently produced 1/8th scale British bikes. (as far as I can ascertain, a Vellocette Venom), Brough Superior, Triumph, Vincent Black Shadow), and were around in the eighties.

If you have any info, kit lists, pics of kits etc, please let me know, info is needed for a database of motorbike kits I'm working on.

Thanks

Steve

I had the Finecast Rolls Royce Silver Ghost many years ago.

It was a very highly detailed model that went together well and needed little in the way of cleaning up.

Instructions weren't that great - several 'exploded' diagrams but not a lot of detail about where the bits went.

The finished item was very good though.

Roy.

I don't think South Eastern Finecast produced any bike kits, would be worth emailing them to see.

Not heard of the other company.

SMTS produced a number of 1/24th white metal bike kits in the 80's for a shop. I have a number of them here, maybe these are the ones you were thinking of.

Paul

little-cars.

I don't think South Eastern Finecast produced any bike kits, would be worth emailing them to see.

Not heard of the other company.

SMTS produced a number of 1/24th white metal bike kits in the 80's for a shop. I have a number of them here, maybe these are the ones you were thinking of.

Paul

little-cars.

Hi Paul. It's not SE Fincast, the company was called Finecast. I've seen one pic, of the Velocette, but nothing else. They were apparently very limited run kits and thus have become extremely rare and hard to find. I contacted Vectis (where I saw the Velocette), and the chap there said he's aware of them, but are extremely rare and very seldom come up for sale.

Thanks

Steve

The Finecast range of white metal kits fall into five groups. The first to appear in 1958 were the locomotive kits, which have been gradually added to over the last three decades. They were joined by a range of 1(24 scale model car kits called AUTO KITS. A new range of highly detailed 1/24 scale car kits were introduced together with a small range of 1/43 scale car kits. The final group are the 1/32 scale gauge 1 Steam Traction engine range.

Since taking over production of the FINECAST white metal kits in 1988, South Eastern Finecast has added several new models to the range. A programme of renovation and updating was also commenced on the locomotive and car ranges. All revised locomotive and tender kits now include etched chassis and an increased number of detailed parts. Where possible one piece parts such as boilers and smokeboxes are now incorporated.

From their website: http://www.sefinecast.co.uk

Still available, now has a list price of £85

Paul

This is my neck of the woods!

Auto-Kits were made for Auto Models of Finsbury Pavement , London by Wills Finecast. As Jeepers has said above, they were always cast by Wills Finecast. Dave Ellis of Sth.Eastern Finecast took over the metal stuff and Bob Wills went on the concentrate on the plastic scenic accessory side. Dave does all my w/m casting and I was the one who updated their 1/43rd brass masters years ago, completely remaking the Austin 7 Chummy, part of the original master of which is in my gash metal drawer!

Dave's models are superb. Not for beginners but lovely things, full of soul. I have and have built several.

Finecast, on its own? Don't know them.

Classic Motorcycle Models were done by a chap whose name escapes me in Surrey. I made a 1/5th scale J.A.P. V twin and a BSA DBD 34 Clubman engines for him as stand alone kits. He didn't at that time, make full bikes. He seems to have disappeared.

Then there was Big 6 Classic Replicas, who had a Vinny Black Shadow in the range and an AJS 7R. To get mileage from that last one, he had me do a Matchless G45 engine and'box to fit the AJ's cycle parts. Then he disappeared!

Finally, I had my own range of 1/32nd scale motorcycle model kits in white metal, which my wife cast, called MiBike. That was the Manx Norton with Geoff Duke aboard, Grieves Challenger with Dave Bickers standing on the pegs, a BSA A10, Triumph Speed Twin and a Lambretta, all with suitable figures. I sold the range when I got tired of packing kits, to a real biker guy and his wife from Southampton. He produced them for a while and then they disappeared!

I also did masters of "Boanerges" (Capt.Shaw's Brough Superior SS100) and a 1954 Harley Anniversary edition, both in 1/32nd scale for R&J Miniatures, also known as S.A.M.S. from Withernsea, now a car valeting company!

White metal bikes?? Risky business!

Martin

• Like 1

Auto-Kits were made for Auto Models of Finsbury Pavement , London by Wills Finecast. As Jeepers has said above, they were always cast by Wills Finecast. Dave Ellis of Sth.Eastern Finecast took over the metal stuff and Bob Wills went on the concentrate on the plastic scenic accessory side. Dave does all my w/m casting and I was the one who updated their 1/43rd brass masters years ago, completely remaking the Austin 7 Chummy, part of the original master of which is in my gash metal drawer!

Dave's models are superb. Not for beginners but lovely things, full of soul. I have and have built several.

Classic Motorcycle Models were done by a chap whose name escapes me in Surrey. I made a 1/5th scale J.A.P. V twin and a BSA DBD 34 Clubman engines for him as stand alone kits. He didn't at that time, make full bikes. He seems to have disappeared.

Then there was Big 6 Classic Replicas, who had a Vinny Black Shadow in the range and an AJS 7R. To get mileage from that last one, he had me do a Matchless G45 engine and'box to fit the AJ's cycle parts. Then he disappeared!

Finally, I had my own range of 1/32nd scale motorcycle model kits in white metal, which my wife cast, called MiBike. That was the Manx Norton with Geoff Duke aboard, Grieves Challenger with Dave Bickers standing on the pegs, a BSA A10, Triumph Speed Twin and a Lambretta, all with suitable figures. I sold the range when I got tired of packing kits, to a real biker guy and his wife from Southampton. He produced them for a while and then they disappeared!

I also did masters of "Boanerges" (Capt.Shaw's Brough Superior SS100) and a 1954 Harley Anniversary edition, both in 1/32nd scale for R&J Miniatures, also known as S.A.M.S. from Withernsea, now a car valeting company!

Martin

Well, as they say, nowt like talking to the man himself, thanks for the information Martin, you've actually solved a few puzzles there.

This is the Vincent kit.

Vincent.jpg

Was sold on Vectis as 'Finecast 1/8th scale White metal Vincent Black Shadow'. From the info you've supplied, sounds like this is a Big 6 Classic Replica Kit.

Im aware of SE Finecast and its subsiduaries, as well as the kits that they produced (Im also a Railway Modeller), but as far as i can ascertain, this is a different company, looking last night on the wehwehweh, ive also found a Triumph Bonnie to the same scale, same box art.

Ive seen you're Greeves Challenger on the intergoogle but marketed as 'DB Models'?, Ill pull up some pics of them later.

I do recall a few years ago seeing a couple of these 1/8th scale kits somewhere, but they were 100+GBP on the stand, and these sold on Vectis for 225GBP.

Again, thanks for the info, youve filled a few holes in the Bike Database :thumbsup:

Steve

Hi Steve,

Big 6 referred to the scale, so the 7R was 1/6th scale. I guess Classic Motorcycles could have gone on to make the Vincent above, but it wouldn't have made much sense to have the engines done in 2 different scales.

Big six worked from an address near the Oval, in London, with an office in Shoe Lane in the City. I remember him being very posh.

I was also approached by another company wanting a Sunday Supplement kind of job of an Indian, but had to tell them I made masters for w/m, not die-castings.

I would be interested to get any info on the old MiBike stuff. DB Models could just be another pirate, like so many of my models have been, or of course they may be a new owner of the masters after the guy from Southampton had finished with them. All the MiBikes had little cast w/m scenic bases too.

Cheers,

Martin

Here are two of the MiBike range, built....the Manx Norton and the Greives Challenger, ready for sale. I sold dozens of buit models of these two in particular.

combo2_zps6aaab163.jpg

And here's the BSA DBD34 engine and gearbox on a stand I also made for the stand alone model for Classic Motorcycle Models.

BSA_zps0225fb9f.jpg

Cheers,

Martin

• 6 months later...

Martin

Hello,

I recently purchsed a small assortment of die cast models with a view to giving them to my husband for Christmas. Amongst them was a MiBike "T E Lawrence on Boanerges" The base says "Commemorative Model 30 July 1989". Am guessing in bronze. Can you please give me some history on this piece? What was it commemorating?

I was a little disappointed with most of the models I got, but this one is beautiful! I can appreciate the work that has gone into this and can't wait for my husband to see it!

Cheers

Jo

Jo,

I answered your comment on my blog, but since you're also here I'll do so here.

Although I had a part in the master of Boanerges, it was never in the Mibike range. It was done as said above by "Little "Richard of R&J Miniatures. I have one in my cabinet.

The Mibike range was sold to a short, broad, ZZ Top looking chap and his wife from Southampton, with whom I never had any more contact after doing a BSA A10 for him and I think a Triumph Speed Twin, long time ago now.

If your copy of Boanerge has Mibike on the base, it can only be because the bike guy bought the master pattern from Richard and had Mibike added to the base.

I haven't heard from Richard in ages and have no idea what happened to the "ZZ Top" guy or the Mibike range. I would love to know anything anyone finds out about them.

Also, whilst there are ways of putting a bronze-like finish on white metal, I wasn't aware of that being done to the Lawrence bike model, so there's another mystery.

Sorry I can't be of much more help.

Cheers,

Martin

Edited by Scratchbuilder
  • Like 1

Several years ago now, I bought a white metal kit by Europa Products of a 1/8 scale AJS 7R 350cc motor bike. Not my normal build as I usually build aircraft but it was such a lovely model I had to have it. Still not had the courage to build it.

That sounds like the old Big 6 Classic replica, Phil. But I'd assumed the name suggested 1/6th scale. It seems unlikely 2 companies would pick that particular bike to do at 2 different scales, so maybe my memory is playing its usual tricks. Does it have cast rims with the need to thread wire spokes? I remember that being a feature of it. My task to make it into a Matchless G45 racer, by keeping the cycle parts and making the Matchless twin engine to go where the AJ single had been. To do that I went to Tom Arter's place in Kent, near Lydden Hill circuit and measured his original TT bike.

I do wish I could find one of these G45 kits. I never got more than a few castings from Big 6, then they disappeared.

Never heard of Europa Products.

Martin

Having googled and found some 7R kits for sale, I have to admit they are 1/8th scale, says so on the box! Wonder why he called it Big 6. Maybe he planned to do just 6 iconic British bikes.

I wonder where the moulds are, eh? He never said who was casting them.

I recall meeting the 1/5th scale engines guy at Peter Freebody's boatyard as it was a bit closer than Norfolk and I was down at Hurley to measure an electric canoe for an American customer. That would have been where I delivered the BSA engine master, but, I never heard from him again and as I don't and didn't get the Classic bike mags. I don't know for how much longer the ads were run. I know he paid me a laughable £795 for that all brass master. I never did know what to charge for my time!

Martin

Several years ago now, I bought a white metal kit by Europa Products of a 1/8 scale AJS 7R 350cc motor bike. Not my normal build as I usually build aircraft but it was such a lovely model I had to have it. Still not had the courage to build it.

Hi Phil and Chaps

Phil, if you ever decide to sell the AJS, please can I have first dibs.... :pray:

Martin, regarding the Matchless G45 kit. I believe I might just know someone that can put you on the trail of one. I'll get in contact with him and them revert back to you...

Steve