White metal kit information

D1fuN0

• 7 months later...

Hi Everybody,

I am new to this forum and have enjoyed reading some of the useful information people have kindly offered.

I just wanted to help Mad Steve if possible, I own a BIG 6 replica white metal kit of the Vincent Black Shadow.

A friend of mine purchased the kit in 1979. He then sold the kit to me early in the 2000's (complete with original receipt and a couple of spare parts sent at a later date).

As yet the kit is still unmade, but I do tinker with it from time to time.

I am considering scratchbuilding and resin casting the parts to enable me to make up a Black Shadow without using the white metal parts.

This is partly so I can keep the kit intact, and also to enable me to make the kit without fear of irreversibly cocking up a part or two.

If you are after any information that I can help you with please ask.

Regards

Ade

• 4 years later...

I know this is a long while back now and I've had a heart attack and a small stroke since(!) but I have 3 of these Vincent kits in my workshop now. One is a Black Shadow, one a Rapide and one a Black Lightning, made from a Shadow kit. Two of them have wire spokes, one has photo-etched, which, btw, look horrible.

All three are 1/8th scale and all exhibit very slight differences in detail and accuracy.  As far as I recall now, the Big 6 kits were cast by a company Reading way called RAE. Later RAE made stuff under their own name. They also did all Bellini white metal models, including the Piccolino range of 1/72nd scale racing cars, for which I made 23 brass masters over a few years. Another company who seem to have disappeared, except that Ray Bellm, known for owning Group C cars and old F1s is still mentioned and his dad, Tony was the guy who commissioned all the models.  He had his own suite in the Brabham Suite at Brands Hatch, where I would always deliver a new model as I got in for nowt and ate well!

I am currently reaching the end of a master for a Black Shadow in 1/6th scale. Yes, it's BIG. I don't think the guy behind it has a company name yet, but you'll hear soon enough.  If only I could post pics on this forum you could have a taster.

Cheers,

Martin

• Like 3