Harrier GR9 1/72 Airfix gift set

Hi,

So here is my first ever build, made from Airfix's GR9 gift set.

Unfortunately when i started my only tool was a leatherman. I actually quite enjoyed making it, and have since bought a very basic tool pack and am going to start another one soon.

I have also read about people on here using fillers to help tidy the small gaps up, so i will definitely be attempting this technique next time.

photo1_zpsfbd8b571.jpg

photo3_zps87dcc8d7.jpg

photo2_zpse31b1800.jpg

Would appreciate tips, especially when it comes to the decals, as i had a nightmare trying to do them (as you may notice from the tail marking missing), aswell as how to weather the exhausts etc

Many thanks Aj.

• Like 1

For your first build ever that is actually pretty exceptional. So first of all, congrats on a good model.

As you have done, first thing is get a basic tool set. Thin nose clippers are best for removing parts from the sprues, and a small, and a larger craft knife will do you better for cleaning the mouldlines/sprue gates off of the parts. Some needle files, or fine grit sandpapers are good as well for tidying parts up.

As for the decals if you can get a hold of micro sol and micro set they are a god send for placing decals. However a cheaper alternative is just some gloss varnish. Paint a bit where you want the decal to go, let it dry and this then gives a nice flat surface for the decal to sit on, which helps prevent the "silvering" you get when they are applied on a rougher surface.

Hope that helps. I look forward to seeing more builds from you!

Welcome AJ,

To start, if that is your first ever build then well done! It looks really well put together and you look to have done a really nice clean paint job. The only thing I can see that would be worth doing differently next time is trying to sand away the seam on the drop tank - some light sanding and filling goes a long way on them.

I'm no expert by any means and a total novice compared to some of the master on here but for decals... There are probably lots of techniques for applying them, a few of which involve using setting solutions. Patience is a must!

If you are looking for a quick finish without an outlay on solutions, study the decal sheet really well and carefully cut out each decal, applying one at a time. They can be moved around and repositioned easily with the tip of your finger or a clean brush. Once you are happy with the position, touch the edge of a bit of kitchen paper gently to the decal and allow the towel to soak up the bulk of the water. Then give it a dab with the towel over the end of your finger.

If your decals are going on a smooth finish (i.e. not a matt enamel), you really need some kind of decal setting solution otherwise they end up falling off, drying out, cracking or silvering. Airfix do one but many on here like to use Microset and Microsol (you'll find lots of articles on here on them). Also, a coat of Klear does the trick too.

As for weathering, you could probably fill a library on this subject. Experiement with what you have - thinned down paint to emulate exhuast fumes and dirt from airflow flowing over the airframe is probably how most of us started!

GJ

Edited by General Jumbo

Agree with the other comments - that's impressive for a first build! When I did my harrier years ago, there were big dirty glue related fingerprints on the cockpit like a huge alien hand had plucked it from the air....

y the way, once you start building your toolkit up from your leatherman and starter set, BEWARE - it's worth keeping in with She Who Must Be Obeyed...the costs start to build up and there's always something else you 'need'!

What I personally do for decals is gloss varnish the entire model (for consistency), use micro sol and set as mentioned above, then matt varnish to finish - gives it a painted on look, rather than an obvious decal look. I had no idea that this technique existed before I found this forum :)

I've learned a lot from the guys (& gals?) here - what I hope you'll find is that your builds will get better the more you do them, and the more you learn from more experienced modellers.

Most of all - have fun!!

Thanks guys for the kind words, I have decided to make another Harrier and have chose 1/48 revell version as quite a few people recommend it. I shall try and find some microsol for the decals. I shall try some dry brush techniques out on this one, to get some practice.

Welcome aboard, for a first effort thats come out very nice.

Stick around on here a look daily you will find a wealth of knowledge and helpful tips on here to improve your builds, its all one big learning curve, keep up the good work

Darren

That is damn impressive for a first model! I remember my first, it was an 1/144 Concord, which had grubby finger prints all over it the lots of mud. I thought it could fly, so I threw it and it nosed dived into the mud 10 foot away... I was 8 at the time :P

As for the decal bits, I gloss the surface first then use Microsol/set. Scalemodelshop.co.uk do them, very good place too. I look forward to seeing the other harrier when you finish her :). Good luck with the Mrs' you'll need it!! :D

If you wanna ask for help in anything, the guys and gals on here will be able to help or point you in the right direction ;)

Kind Regards

Dazz

there's a future in this lol. The wings are the right way around you seem to have all the stickers on and in the right place . Just keep building and keep enjoying it the rest follows.

regards Glenn.....

Great first build,I agree with previous post,not being as steady hand and because I use acrylics I overpaint and cut back gently

with a cocktail stick on raised frames.Hope you keep posting!