RN Hawker Typhoon?

Selwyn

Just wizzing around the internet looking at references for my Airfix Typhoon (Ipicked it up at my local model shop today!) and found an reference to a tiffy being used by the Fleet Air Arm (778 NAS).

Is this true? Does anyone have any information on this? it may be an interesting scheme!

Selwyn

Ray Sturtivant's "The Squadrons of the Fleet Air Arm" (1st Ed) records Typhoon Ib DN419 as serving with 778 Squadron during Feb 1943. No further details - and no photo! But, if it was only there for a month, I wouldn't stake much money on its having been repainted in FAA colours.

778 was a Service Trials Unit squadron, conducting trials with all sorts of aircraft including an Airacobra (AH774) and a Magister with "McLaren undercarriage", whatever that might have been.

Edit: not even a month. From "The Typhoon and Tempest Story" by Chris Shores and Chris Thomas: "One Typhoon issued to this Naval flight trials unit at Arbroath 5 Feb 1943 but it was written off in an accident after only one week."

Edited by Seahawk

Fleet Air Arm Archive ref the Typhoon :

In total of 3253 aircraft were built, however only one aircraft entered Fleet Air Arm service, DN419 which was sent to TOC 778 squadron at Arbroath for RN trials on 5 February 1943. It subsequently crashed and effectively destroyed on 12 February 1943 and no others were ordered by the RN for FAA service

There was a project for a Sea Typhoon, basically a Typhoon with an extended wing centre-section to get the landing speeds down. It was thought that Hawkers were quite busy enough really and Blackburn got the contract with the Firebrand.

More an idea to use up some older Typhoon kits than the new Airfix one.