Desert Lynx

After a few months of sporadic work I have finally finished my Desert Lynx based on the AH. Mk 1GT XZ221 J.

I know this isn't a AH-7 but I was determined to build a model 'straight out of the box'. I figured there was going to be little alteration needed to do the Mk 1 from what is in the airfix box.

The obvious modification with the scalpel was the rotor blades which were simply trimed down to a more square end. The tail fin is probably the only big error(please correct me if you spot more) but I didn't want to scratch build or buy aftermarket bits for this build. I did however end up making all the main antena with brass rod as the original box items broke and I have to admit I think it looks better as it is slightly scaled down. That was it. There was alot of filling and shaping done around the engine cowling and sand exhaust filters but apart from that the Arfix kit went together lovely.

DSCN0391.jpgDSCN0387.jpgDSCN0385.jpgDSCN0384.jpg

Not out of the box were the brilliant Xtradecal decals. I am in the process of building a plinth to mount it on. I am toying with the idea of making it realy dusty but am unsure how to go about it. Any suggestions?

All comments and feedback welcomed. Hope you like it.

• Like 5

Now that looks very tasty indeed, you picked up on all the little areas which need attention (mainly the engine covers) but Airfix really did give us a great Lynx kit. Speak to Lynx7 before you do any weathering, he's our Lynx Guru and should be able to point you in the right direction. Thanks for sharing your pics.

Colin

Moosequito, I`m not and expert in Lynx but I have to say you have done a great job on that model mate!

Would it be possible for you to share the item number of the decals, or a link of where to get them.

I`m struggling to find them...

I love the weathering too.

Adrian

Moosequito, I`m not and expert in Lynx but I have to say you have done a great job on that model mate!

Would it be possible for you to share the item number of the decals, or a link of where to get them.

I`m struggling to find them...

I love the weathering too.

Adrian

Adrian, you will find xtradecal at Hannants http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X48110 lots of great examples to choose from.

I've already decided to do the RM XZ612 with a fast rope for my next project. Will definatley need to do some scratch building for that.

Thanks Matt, no, not as yet, waiting until its completed! At the moment, I need to complete the rotors, I've done the same as you on this build with the rotors! Also need to attach the doors and the TOW systems, and then jobs a good un!

Thanks Matt, no, not as yet, waiting until its completed! At the moment, I need to complete the rotors, I've done the same as you on this build with the rotors! Also need to attach the doors and the TOW systems, and then jobs a good un!

I've noticed on another thread that I should have removed some of the counter measure lumps and bumps from under the side pilot windows.

Very nice job nice to see a lynx in one of the more unusual paint schemes.

One observation the tail rotor is the wrong way round, Mk 1 Lynx had the tail rotor spinning in the opposite direction to MK 7/9.The rotor direction was changed to what is the termed the correct direction (rotating up into the main rotor downwash) on the introduction of the MK 7.

Nobby

Very nice job nice to see a lynx in one of the more unusual paint schemes.

One observation the tail rotor is the wrong way round, Mk 1 Lynx had the tail rotor spinning in the opposite direction to MK 7/9.The rotor direction was changed to what is the termed the correct direction (rotating up into the main rotor downwash) on the introduction of the MK 7.

Nobby

Thanks for your comments Nobby.

You are right about the tail rotor direction on the Mk1. By the time this helecopter was being used in Granby it had been modified. The model is base on this picture.

xz221_3.jpg

I've decided on my base. I'm going to put it on the tarmac as in the above picture. After playing about with different ideas the chopper blended in too much with a desert/sand base. I know thats the idea of the camouflage but I prefer the contrasting look it has against the grey of the tarmac/concrete.

Thankyou for all your comments and as most people seem to think the weathering is good as it is I am going to refrain from adding any more.

Matt.