Project Airfix - Blyth Community College

Hi all,

with the new term fast approaching I was pleased to discover that when I popped into work today my Project Airfix order had arrived. I'm endeavouring to engage some of our more challenging students with a hobby. I'll be recording our students' progress on here, and as their confidence grows we may make a separate account for them to post their own work with.

Hats off to Airfix for an affordable entry-level pack (£80 for 30 kits with paints, glues and brushes) which means that students from deprived backgrounds get a chance to try something new.

I hope you'll all agree that this is a worthwhile venture and support us with our project (although I think even I can manage the old Mk.I spit!)

Cheers,

Mr. B.

• Like 2

I am doing the same with my students next September, I have two modules that a bit of modern history ties into. Plus a Command and Control Module. As it is September I was thinking of doing the Battle of Britain for Command and Control and also linking it to the International Perspectives and Global Conflict module for Warfare Studies. Get a bunch of hairy and non hairy teenagers doing something different for their unit content.

Oh meant to say as part of it all I am also doing the Bunker visit to RAF Uxbridge and then on to RAF Hendon in the afternoon. This is so they can start their project and assignment work. I have contact names for the future if you need them The RAF MOT(SE) recruiting Sergeant is a mate of mine if you need details let me know

Dear Ragtag,

Saw with interest your modelling club project. I'm the assistant head of a smallish primary school, and I've been running an Airfix club every year for the last eight years, covering tanks, subs, jets and of course spitfires! I've never had less than forty children take part each year, and I often have to run two clubs to get everyone involved. The sense of excitement (and achievement) is always palpable, and I hope that you (like me) find that it can really reach out to those pupils who are, perhaps ,less enamoured of school than one would wish! I don't know if you have done this before, but if I can offer any friendly advice please don't hesitate to pm me.

Best regards, Paul

• Like 1

'ere! This looks really promising. Are we going to get updates of builds and suchlike?

PaulR - any photos from your projects?

I'm sure it would help all the students concerned to see their projects online and to get some feedback from others. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread. :popcorn:

I think for my lot in September it would be good to post them up on here. I am going to watch the Blythe efforts with interest. Mr B what age are your learners? Mine are 16-19 and 19 - 21 plus.

Edited by chuckb1

Mine are Year 7, which makes them 11-12. They're taking part as part of a lunchtime club. I'm certainly intending to update the thread with build progress.

Here's the bang we got for our buck:

8643840936_7337651a27_c.jpg

15 of these:

8643840838_73955181e3_c.jpg

15 of these:

8643840868_78ce8a367a_c.jpg

And a good range of paints, brushes, and more glue than we'll need:

8643840780_705cb8e22e_c.jpg

Edited by Ragtag

'ere! This looks really promising. Are we going to get updates of builds and suchlike?PaulR - any photos from your projects?I'm sure it would help all the students concerned to see their projects online and to get some feedback from others. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread. :popcorn:

Yes, I have various pics on our secure school portal, but none I can put up here because they have pictures of the pupils as well as the models! I am due to do a survey among the club to see what we will build next autumn; I'll post some shots of these models in due course. Paul.

As long as my monsters get their photo waivers signed and handed in I can post mine up as they are a whole lot older. I will be speaking to the Senior curator at Hendon next week to start sorting the visit out as the staff do a really good tour along with the two Sergeants from the RAF recruiting team. The Flt Lt in charge of the team is a top man, We went to RAF Halton last year to see one of my ex students pass out of phase one training,followed up later in the spring with high and low ropes activities and the WW1 trench experience.

The RAF are really on it with the community stuff and very supportive of my courses. I have three ex students in the RAF now 2 went Regiment and the girl is a Cpl RAF Copper.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, tomorrow is the big day. Everything is ready to go and I've pulled a spare Spit Vb from one of my Channel Dash sets (cheap swordfish to turn into Mk.2s and Mk.3s) so that I have something similar to build with them. I'm starting with 4 lads so should make some nice photos once complete.

I've been running school modelling clubs for years, and they have been extremely popular.

A point about Project Airfix - it's excellent value but some kids find the new Spitfire a bit fiddly, particularly the interior. It wouldn't be the first time I've told them to leave the innards out! I imagine the same thing will apply to the 109s.

John

• 2 weeks later...

Couple of progress shots. Interior painting has been going quite well for the lads, hoping to start assembly next week.

8707503450_ee6ae0ce4f_c.jpg

8706380825_a567127be7_c.jpg

Got to admit to a few pangs of envy over the detail in the kit. My old Spit Vb is flying together by comparison:

8707503544_2398949873_c.jpg

Hi Ragtag

Great stuff I have 4 kids at primary school all of whom make kits ( blame their dad!) Great idea to extend it to the school I will PM you for info and tips on how's to set it up, anyone else with advice please pm me and I look forward to following this.

Cheers Pat

Great idea! Modelling sparked off my love of history so I think you are definitely going down the right road here.

Martin