Alternate decals for Academy 1/48 Spitfire XIVc

davidsm

Hi - yes though most foreign users would have had the XIVe, and a lot of them used the bubble top version too. Academy did a boxing of their bubble top 'e' wing version with a whole host of non-RAF options.

I think the Belgian Airforce is your best bet, but In general for the 14c you are looking at RAF camo and markings.

Cheers

Jonners

There are many possibilities.

Recent for Belgium Syhardt 48-908. Also DACO has some generic sheets for Belgian Mk.XIVs. Tally Ho! Decals 48041 has a nice selection including "Brünhilde" (normally believed to be Brumhilde, but people do not know their Wagner) Mk.XIVc, RB188 [’Johnny’ Johnson], DL&K, 91 Sqn, West Malling, July 1944. Here you have the Walküre sitting stark naked on a V-1.

There is enough around to keep you occupied for some time.

NPL

Hi, all,

David, the Academy XIV is so poor a representation of a Spit XIV that you may well put any decal you like... that said, there was a boxing with some really nice decals, including Belgian AF post-war.

If, and only if, Airfix decides to make a XIV, they will only be able to profit from the research for the XIX... no single sprue in the latter is usable for the XIV, they all include XIX specific parts. In addition, both the fuselages and wings are specific to the XIX, which of course has the benefit of a better and painless fit. But, if they are not shy of including an almost complete XIX and the XIV specific parts...

Fernando, back in the bush

i have the boxing with quite a few choices including the belgian one too many choices but which one to make !! ?

I used Aeromaster decals on my Academy kit. The photo should help with your own determination if the fuselage depth is an issue for you or not.

Spit14BelgL.jpg

I did add the camera port and the port fairing is just some scrap sheet cut, filed and sanded to something (hopefully) approximating the original shape.

Edited by Don McIntyre