Hello all,

Only joined BM a couple of weeks ago - found the site whilst researching tips for the big Mossie Mrs Card got me for Christmas.

It's very close to completion now, so I thought I'd post a couple of pics of where I am and what I've learnt on my return to the habit after a long break.

Here's the beast as is (astute observers will spot the bit I've left to do - more later):

BM3.jpg

BM4.jpg

I really wanted the AEAF stripes, and spotted the Xtradecal scheme at Hannants, so I've followed that.

I'll post some build pics later on.

Lessons learned:

1) The cost of the kit is about 1/3rd of what I spent in total (starting from scratch, you understand). I now have paints galore, an airbrush, brushes by the dozen, files, masking tape etc etc.

2) The internet is the second best thing you can use for a build. This site, amongst others, has provided a mine of hints, tips and tricks.

3) Cocktail sticks are the best thing. From fiddly repositioning to decal placement to getting paint out of that hole to cleaning transparencies to chewing vigourously when my patience is running thin - they're my new best friends.

4) Don't just test positions before gluing for the step you're on. Mispositioning can throw out steps a long way further on (I'm talking about the MG adjusters in particular here).

5) Probably most frustrating - Humbrol Decalfix works beautifully on the Airfix decals. Got the 'Keep Off' decal to hug all the rivets which amazed me. Using it on Xtradecal decals made them disintegrate. Hence the missing 'W' and shiny patch on the port side - gold star if you spotted it. New set ordered and will be applied at the weekend.

6) Xtracrylic paints do not like Isopropyl alcohol. I now have a tub of blue & yellow cake mix where I tried to thin their 'Sky' colour for the underside.

Lots of other things that I'm sure all the vets here have all been through.

I am now looking for an old shop display stand to put the thing in (dimensions: 75cm x 60cm x 15cm at least to hold the thing).

I'll post on Ready for Inspection when complete.

Enjoy

Si M...

• Like 4

Looks fantastic :cool:

I didn't realise you could buy the decals for a Banff Mossie :)

I had already chosen to do mine in this scheme, as it's one of few that allow (accurately) for full invasion stripes and rocket projectiles.

Edited by j_jza80

Welcome aboard the good ship Britmodeller Mr. Card (or do I cal you Sim?)

Splendid build of a beautiful aircraft and a most enjoyable account of your exploits so far.

I look forward to seeing more from you in the future

Cheers.