Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Sign in to follow this  
Bill Bunting

Tu 95 Bear - started April 11, 2013 FINISHED! (and I'm finished with it!)

Recommended Posts

I'm in! Started this yesterday. will try to finish before end of next week. 10 days? Sorry I didn't get a pic before wings went together but HONEST, I started yesterday!

IMG_4157_zpsd1438eab.jpg

Edited by Bill Bunting

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another Bear. Great stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK so I'm not on schedule, I hoped to be way past this status by now. But spring has almost sprung here in Ontario and there's been lot of yard clean up, but she'll be done by the end of the GB.

Tonight she's a "Black Bear". After primer and check over/fixing/rub down with 3800 grit it has been given a coat of Tamiya X1 gloss black. Next is final fixes + rubdown with 3800 or finer and then the Alclads.

1-144Tu95_05_zpsbf984b4b.jpg

1-144Tu95_06_zpse3d579f3.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After (what I thought) was a good polish I sprayed it Alclad Polished Aluminum. Overall it was OK but there were some "orange peel" areas which I polished back and re-sprayed - still there! - tomorrow I will sand these back to plastic and redo. Coming along...

Tu95_07_zpse147278f.jpg

Tu95_09c_zpsfcb004cd.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah, that's excellent (well, apart from the orange peel!), great to see someone doing this properly and not just throwing on Aluminium spray like I did!

Just a heads up with the decals. The Star and 'dots' decals that go on the tail don't fit the raised sections for the dots. You best bet is to cut each decal into three (Star and 1 dot; 3 dots; 1 dot) so that they fit. Hope that makes sense! Also, the decal instructions for the engines aren't clear at all, and I'm certain some of the numbers they use are wrong. Just do what I did, do the ones that definitely make sense first, and then make it up as you go along after that!

J.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like Jasonb13's, this is looking great. Same kit, different approach, both fantastic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah, that's excellent (well, apart from the orange peel!), great to see someone doing this properly and not just throwing on Aluminium spray like I did!

Just a heads up with the decals. The Star and 'dots' decals that go on the tail don't fit the raised sections for the dots. You best bet is to cut each decal into three (Star and 1 dot; 3 dots; 1 dot) so that they fit. Hope that makes sense! Also, the decal instructions for the engines aren't clear at all, and I'm certain some of the numbers they use are wrong. Just do what I did, do the ones that definitely make sense first, and then make it up as you go along after that!

J.

Thanks for the advice. Based on your comments I decided to paint the dots.

Cheers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well it's finished. Not the best of luck with this one. The kit is very nice for 1972 and features some clever and interesting engineering. The problems were my own. I used Alclad over gloss black undercoat but the undercoat was not as smooth as it needed to be and I had "orange peel". Rubbed down to the bare plastic I did it all again with better but not perfect results, After the decals I spayed on a coat of 'matt', well the stuff I used (Pactra) was VERY flat and chalky and made a disaster of it again. Once again some careful sanding back , touch ups and then when ready for the varnish again - I dropped the model. This split the left front fuselage open, so re glue refinish repaint and then a light coat of Vallejo flat followed by Future. In the end I rushed some of the hand painted details but its done. I think I'll hide this one away. Any way here it is...

More pics in the "Gallery" section of the GB

Tu95_11_zpsfc8a52db.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't hide that, it is very impressive. You have coped with the difficulties well and produces something to be proud of. A cracking job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...