Dragon 1:700 Type 42 Destroyer HMS Coventry

Hello everyone. The Easter holiday has finally allowed me to get my teeth into some long overdue modelling. First up is the Type 42 Destroyer from Dragon models. As with most things, planning is everything. After a scan of the instructions and a dry fit of the major components, it became clear that the photoetch should be tackled first. The main reason for this is because at 1:700 scale you have so little room to work with that fitting railings underneath walkways would be near impossible.

image7_zps2adefc59.jpeg

image10_zps40b8a3f1.jpeg

The railings under the flightdeck show just how difficult it would be to fit after the flightdeck is fitted. The join in the middle of the flightdeck has been filled and sanded down, the same needs to be done to the stern of the ship.

John

• Like 2

Next up was the hanger bay and funnel before plucking up the courage to build the RADAR.

image16_zps25b4563e.jpeg

image13_zps81e85f9d.jpeg

There was nothing overly taxing about these sections, even with my limited experience with photoetch. The RADAR on the other hand, caused me some frustration but after about 20 mins, I finally got all the pieces where I wanted them and not stuck to my fingers !!

image14_zpsd737b807.jpeg

John

• Like 2

A dry fit of the major sub assemblies really brings the ships to life.

image17_zps633fe8cc.jpeg

image19_zps55f4178d.jpeg

The project is now on hold untill the weekend. I have a Type 45 which is in the process of being built and both will be airbrushed at the same time.

This far into the build, the major problem I have come across are the instructions. They are not very clear if you are modelling a particular ship and have resulted in a lot of time spent flicking backwards and forwards between the instructions and photographs. With this in mind, my top tip for this kit is RESEARCH MATERIAL !!! make sure you have plenty of reference material for the ship you are building as there are are quite a few minor differences in all ships in this class throughout their time in service.

John

• Like 4

Thanks Chewitt, the Type 42 is the ship I remember most from my childhood down in Gosport and of course being down there during the Falklands.

I went down to Portsmouth last year on holiday, it was such a shame to see the Type 42`s moored up awaiting disposal along with the Type 22`s.

Times change and no doubt the Type 45 is a more capable ship, although I don`t think we have ordered enough of them.

I see that you are also building a Type 45. I will post a WIP of my build later, although mine will be basically an out of the box affair with one or two extra bits of etch. I think it would be good alongside your ship as yours can show the difference aftermarket details can make to the basic model.

John

• Like 1

Hi John,

She looks great so far, they are great kits and build up really quickly but the etch sets do set them apart, and it's good to see how modellers approach different problems, I'd have never thought to add the railings first, maybe that's why I have a couple of these part built, just waiting fir the etch treatment.

I just hope Airfix or Trumpeter give us one in 1/350, I feel more comfortable working with etched parts that are just that bit more visible.

I received the Trumpeter Type 23 kit from you yesterday and it looks fantastic in the box, just hope I can do it as much justice as your doing with this one.

Happy modelling

Ant

Hi Ant,

Glad the Type 23 arrived safely. She does look a nice kit and I can see myself building one at some point, like you said, the etch should be easier to deal with at a larger scale.

As for the Type 42, I am all in favour of making things a simple as possible. I will need to be carefull when attaching the superstructure to the painted deck as I don`t want any glue to show. I thought about painting the deck before adding the railings, but again I think the glue would be obvious.

I am just thinking about the best way to go about the wire aerials. I have heard of stretched sprue, but it is a technique I am unfamiliar with. I think I will see what fine thread I can find and take it from there, although........my cats whiskers are looking a bit long !! :hmmm:

I am also toying with the idea of 1:700 figures. I don`t want them all lined up as if on parade, but as the ship will ultimately be in a dockside setting, I think a few sentries and some contractors would add a bit of life.

John

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The railings under the flightdeck show just how difficult it would be to fit after the flightdeck is fitted. The join in the middle of the flightdeck has been filled and sanded down, the same needs to be done to the stern of the ship.

John

Silly question, but did all the etch come with the kit, or from another source?

Tim

Hi Tim,

The photoetch is included with the kit. Dragon models use the term "Premium Edition" for kits that have photoetch included. They are usually a little more expensive but the details really make a difference to the finished kit.

John

Hi Tim,

The photoetch is included with the kit. Dragon models use the term "Premium Edition" for kits that have photoetch included. They are usually a little more expensive but the details really make a difference to the finished kit.

John

Thanks John. May have to give one of these a go (not like I don't have anything else in the stash :-) )

Tim

Looking very nice John. :thumbsup:

Thanks Dave.

It has been frustrating at times. There are so many little variations between the individual ships that I am not convinced that I have got her right.

The build sequence has had its good and bad points. I am pleased that I fitted the railings before building the superstructure but unhappy that I did not paint the deck surfaces first.

All in all, she is a test subject for a much bigger project involving many more Type 42`s. I now know how to build them and what to look out for. Just need to get my head round the variations as the instructions are useless in this respect.

Just trying to narrow down which T-42`s had the modified radiators. I am pretty sure it was only Liverpool and Nottingham from the Batch 1/2.

John

Hello John, she is looking good! It definitely seemed a good idea to do the railings so early. It is actually something I do regularly on small ships, but I always worry about accidental removal! So far, it has not happened.

When you say about a much bigger project involving Type 42's, does that mean you are going to do lots like this, or a series of bigger versions? Seems like a plan!

All the best, Ray

Hi Ray,

Thanks for the encouragment, I certainly know what you mean about accidental removal. The very such thing has just happened to my Type 45 !!

With regards to the "bigger plan", this is something I have been wanting to do for a long time and have been collecting ships and formulating plans for about 2 years now. Unfortunately, real life slows thing down an awful lot.

My aim is a diorama based on Portsmouth Naval Base and HMS Dolphin when Oberons were based there. It is impossible to recreate the whole thing and I have been thinking up different ways to create one base that somehow incorporates the two.

At the same time, I have been collecting the ships and currently my unbuilt fleet consists of: 3 Invincible class, 3 Type 42 (batch 3), 5 Type 42 (batch 2), 1 Type 22 frigate, 1 Type 23 Frigate, 2 Type 45 destroyers, 1 Exocet Leander, 2 castle class, 2 Trafalgar class, 2 Astute class and 8 Oberons.

There are others on my wish list, including Hermes, Ocean and RFA`s, however, I/C Home Command has not approved my budget for these yet and I may have to conduct an SDSR on my aircraft stash !!!!

I am currently gathering various dock sections and drydocks together as I very much work by eye than with a tape measure. Once I have enough pieces, I can move them about until I have a layout that is close enough to the image on paper.

It really is a long term goal but work should start quite soon on building things in sections that can be slotted together instaed of one large baseboard........thats the plan anyway !!!

John

• Like 1

With all this interest in ships, what made you join the Crabs? :blink::P

I don`t have many regrets in life, but not joining the Navy is one of them especially as I come from a naval family.

I think what really swayed it for me was that the RAF at that time was better for the longevity of a family as my parents will unfortunately testify to.

Having said that..after going through 7 operational tours and now into my second marriage, I think my plan was complete and utter ________ !!!!!!.

Oh well, I am happily married now and have a great son, so it all work out in the end. There is still something in me that keeps drawing me towards the sea though !!!

John

Just trying to narrow down which T-42`s had the modified radiators. I am pretty sure it was only Liverpool and Nottingham from the Batch 1/2. John

Assuming by "modified radar" you mean the change from 965 to 1022, I am 90% sure that they all had 1022 from Cardiff onwards (i.e. the last ship of Batch 1: Sheff, Brum, Newcastle, Coventry & Glasgow 965, thereafter that 1022 - so add Exeter, Southampton & Cardiff to your list from Batch 1&2. Exeter also had that odd pale blue boot topping (some experimental anti-fouling paint, I think) - certainly in her Falklands guise, anyway.

If I have misunderstood you, apologies!

An ex-Cr*b openly admitting the error of his ways; respect!

P.S. Santissima T & Hercules also had 965 (at a guess, for their whole lives). They were also the only ones apart from Shiny Sheff with the Mickey Mouse ears on the funnel.

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU

Assuming by "modified radar" you mean the change from 965 to 1022, I am 90% sure that they all had 1022 from Cardiff onwards (i.e. the last ship of Batch 1: Sheff, Brum, Newcastle, Coventry & Glasgow 965, thereafter that 1022 - so add Exeter, Southampton & Cardiff to your list from Batch 1&2. Exeter also had that odd pale blue boot topping (some experimental anti-fouling paint, I think) - certainly in her Falklands guise, anyway.

If I have misunderstood you, apologies!

An ex-Cr*b openly admitting the error of his ways; respect!

P.S. Santissima T & Hercules also had 965 (at a guess, for their whole lives). They were also the only ones apart from Shiny Sheff with the Mickey Mouse ears on the funnel.

I did mean "Radiator" . If you look at this photo of a Batch 3 ship, you can see a big chunky radiator just forward of the funnel.

8127823052_2409851c9a_o_zpsbce52734.jpg

Most Batch 1 and Batch 2 ships had radiators like the one in the next photo.

2169573212_c62e64825d_o_zps5d3d8d2d.jpg

If I am correct, some of the Batch 1/2 ships received the big chunky radiators. I think it was only Liverpool and Nottingham but just wanted to make sure as the instructions with the Dragon kits are not to good at isolating the details on individual ships.

John

• Like 1