Airfix 1/72 Hawker Typhoon Mk.Ib Sprue Shots

Wonderland Models

Ah, thanks, I didn't know that. There's no mention of it on the relevant chunk of the Airfix website, at least not on the public site. They ought to put it on the Club page of the site where people can see it, it might encourage a few more people to sign up.

Edited by Work In Progress

Ok thanks a lot for these informations ..

Too bad for me I am not a member and I think I can live without this kit ..

I ll try to update the Hasegawa IID I Halready have ..

Regards

Patrice

Ok thanks a lot for these informations ..

Too bad for me I am not a member and I think I can live without this kit ..

I ll try to update the Hasegawa IID I Halready have ..

Regards

Patrice

One way to get them is from Ebay. Some people buy multiple kits and sell them there.

if you are able to edit the article to correct that, you might also want to note that you have misspelled S/L Stapleton's nickname as 'Stampe' - it should be 'Stapme', based on a well-known expletive of the era.

I thought it came from the comic strip "Just Jake"?

I bought these two Typhoon sets from SAM Publications a few years ago. They are for the Academy kit but may prove useful for the new Airfix kit, too.

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l23/chris7421/Typhoonx.jpg

Chris

Wish I'd have got them when I had the chance!

Nick

Wish I'd have got them when I had the chance!

Nick

This set of resin parts might be of interest. I have no idea regarding quality or accuracy; unfortunately, the image of the parts is not very good and is made worse because the parts are photographed inside a plastic wrapper, rather than laid out in such a way that they can be seen individually:

http://www.valiant-wings.co.uk/172-hawker-typhoon-detailing-set-20-p.asp

John

Thanks for pointing this out, looks very promising. Are these the first Mk.3 rails in 1/72 (or any scale)? Can't tell whether the radiator replacement has sufficient depth around the filter to look realistic, and the price is a bit higher than expected, given the price of the Valiant Wings set (with resin from CMR and etch from Brengun for the radiator stone grille).

The price is what it needs to be to make a profit unfortunately, thats what funds new sets. Parts are tailored to fit the Airfix kit, the Valiant Wings set has lots of nice parts but these are from the old CMR kit, and casting in the Czech Republic is around half the price of mine done in sunny Birmingham. Rocket rails and stone guards will be available seperately (£2.50 for a pair of stone guards and £3.00 for a set of Mk.3 rails, but are not listed on my website yet).

Colin

"Rocket rails and stone guards will be available seperately (£2.50 for a pair of stone guards and £3.00 for a set of Mk.3 rails, but are not listed on my website yet)."

Colin,

GBP3.00 for the Mk. 3 Rocket Rails sounds like a good deal.. Please let us all know when these are available to order.

Might just have to put a couple of these aside on my next Freightdog order.

Cheers .. and many thanks Dave.

Thanks for posting the sprue shots. Would love to get this but SWMBO has said no more models until i've built some :weep: . Though at my pace of building i might have one finished by this time next year. :winkgrin:

Regards.

Thanks for posting the sprue shots. Would love to get this but SWMBO has said no more models until i've built some :weep: . Though at my pace of building i might have one finished by this time next year. :winkgrin:

Regards.

Do you have any old finished models that you have packed away somewhere? Pull one of those out, dust it off, glue the pitot tubes back on, and tell SWMBO that you just finished it, and demand cash for a new kit purchase. Works for me. :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I bought today two new Tiffies from Airfix. Is very nice indeed. But - what is the cuckoo doors ? I can build bomb-armed Tiffy first... Thank you :)

• 5 weeks later...

I'll buy one even if it does have some hefty trenches.

cheersy

http://www.aeroimageworks.com/spitfiresintheantipodesblog.htm

Prof-meisterrrrrrr

I'll buy one even if it does have some hefty trenches.

I wouldn't call them trenches. The improvement since the Spitfire Mk.I is considerable.

panel_lines_compared-wings.jpg

tiff-vs-spit.jpg

I wouldn't call them trenches. The improvement since the Spitfire Mk.I is considerable.

panel_lines_compared-wings.jpg

tiff-vs-spit.jpg

a few coats of paint should fill in the 'trenches' a fair bit.

Please remember that this is a 1:72 scale kit, and the photos show the kit parts much larger on-screen than in real life. Everything is magnified. The panel lines on the Typhoon are just fine in my opinion. :)

Cheers,

Bill

I bought today two new Tiffies from Airfix. Is very nice indeed. But - what is the cuckoo doors ? I can build bomb-armed Tiffy first... Thank you :)

In Normandy, dust caused real problems with the engine. The first attempt at addressing this, a dome-shaped filter was prone to being ejected when the engine backfired. The solution was to fit a different type of filter with doors on the front that opened when there was a backfire and kept the filter in situ. These resembled the doors on a cuckoo clock, hence "cuckoo doors".

John.

Good grief - images like that should be banned.

No, what should be banned is the quoting of the same image 3 times on the same page. It shows a total lack of consideration for other forum users who may have limited internet usage/allowances.

A very grumpy Mark. :angrysoapbox.sml:

• Like 3

No, what should be banned is the quoting of the same image 3 times on the same page. It shows a total lack of consideration for other forum users who may have limited internet usage/allowances.

A very grumpy Mark. :angrysoapbox.sml:

Although it is indeed annoying to have the images in the quotes, all the images are from the same address (at my domain), so they are only downloaded once by a browser, no matter how many times they appear on-screen.

• Like 1